Maeby Getting Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sideways

Re: Maeby Getting Braces

#91 Post by Sideways »

I wish I had words of wisdom to give, but I'm kinda still in the same boat as you :(

What are you planning on doing with the gaps left behind by the impacted canines, or is the expose and bond going okay (sorry, I couldn't gather the results from the post!)?

I one of my canines removed over a year ago, but just got my upper braces on. My ortho says it's too early to figure out what to do with the space, but I get the feeling that I might have to go in for an implant later.

maeby

#92 Post by maeby »

Hi Sideways,

Since the last time I posted progress, I had one of my impacted canines removed and the other one finally grew in after 1.5 years of being chained.

I also had to have three premolars removed to make room (we left one in place to take the space of the canine that never came in, rather than going for an implant). The slow progress has been due to the spaces left after those premolars were removed, but two spaces have finally closed completely (after 1+ years) and the last space has been stuck at about 1-2mm for several months.
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

jem

#93 Post by jem »

Wow, Maeby, I am staggered that you are still in braces after all this time. You must have started not long after me and it seems like ages ago. And to think that I moaned when my treatment took 18 months rather than the predicted 9 months!

How far away do you think you are from finishing? I guess you will be even more thrilled than most people once you are done. And I can't imagine you will be anything less than scrupulous in your retainer wearing.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Sideways

#94 Post by Sideways »

maeby wrote:Hi Sideways,

Since the last time I posted progress, I had one of my impacted canines removed and the other one finally grew in after 1.5 years of being chained.

I also had to have three premolars removed to make room (we left one in place to take the space of the canine that never came in, rather than going for an implant). The slow progress has been due to the spaces left after those premolars were removed, but two spaces have finally closed completely (after 1+ years) and the last space has been stuck at about 1-2mm for several months.
Yikes, that's a lot of work. I'd really like to avoid the whole bone graft/implant, so I'm glad to hear that the spaces have been closing up, if not slowly. Hope you can get out of those braces soon!

maeby

#95 Post by maeby »

I HAVE A DEBRACE DATE!!!

January 24, 2018 :D :D :D

Once it happened, it happened fast! The last space closed and my orthodontist started talking about retainers before I had a chance for my head to stop spinning.

So, question for you guys: If my goal is retention and ease of use, should I go with an Essix or bonded retainer for the bottom?? (My ortho has some kind of combination plan for the top.)
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012