Dom's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Domino

Dom's Story

#1 Post by Domino »

Hi everyone! You can find my (short) introduction post here.

Here's my story :)

Deciding to Get Braces (and the Invisalign Delusion)
I have always regretted not having braces when I was younger. It was an age for me that I didn't feel there was anything wrong with my teeth, and didn't understand how important I would feel about their appearance in later years. I had always contemplated having them straightened, but the idea of having braces put me off. Then, years back, I heard about Invisalign and thought it would be right for me, but I thought the price was completely out of my reach (I thought it was £7k+ for some reason!). So for even more years I thought there was nothing I could do.

Then, out of the blue, I decided to look into Invisalign a bit more. It sounded great—just right for me! An invisible solution that has no metal to irritate your mouth? Who wouldn't want that! And, to my surprise, I was looking at the £3k mark. I thought I could actually do this now. So for weeks I was getting excited at the prospect of getting Invisalign, and I booked a consultation with my orthodontist. The very first thing he said to me when I mentioned Invisalign was that it's not as wonderful as it makes out: the trays can become very disgusting and unpleasant, they rely a lot on requiring teeth to be filed down, and, most importantly, it's not suitable for many people; he said it's for minor corrections, which I was worried my problems weren't. So he looked in my mouth and—what a surprise!—I wasn't suitable at all. My dreams of this 'ideal' solution were gone, and I thought that was it. But for some reason, because I was there and had my heart set on having straight teeth, the idea of braces suddenly appealed to me, especially when he showed me the ceramic ones (for those unaware what ceramic braces are, they are clear (tooth coloured) brackets that are much less noticeable than the metal ones). He also went into a lot of detail about what was wrong with my teeth, and it was a lot worse than I had even thought myself; he was saying things about my teeth that I had no clue about!

Extractions!
But then an absolute horror: extractions! I never imagined for one moment I would need teeth extracted in order for them to be straightened. I was quite devastated and didn't think I'd ever go through with it. But I thought I would at least have my moulds taken so he could take a few weeks to figure out exactly what needs to be done (down £40 :(). And then a few weeks later I was back and he gave me the news: I would need 4 teeth out. FOUR! I was shocked and disappointed, and he had had second opinions from other orthodontists, so it wasn't something I could avoid. I decided to have a long think about it and ring him when I had made my mind up. But I didn't lose hope over the fact I'd need teeth extracted. I thought to myself... I have too many teeth in my mouth; my mouth is overcrowded; it's not big enough to house all the teeth I have; I don't need them. I also, humorously, thought "Well, I'll still have all my teeth, just a few of them won't be in my mouth anymore." Hehe! Still, the idea that I'm going to have perfectly healthy teeth extracted was not appealing, and quite gutting as well, considering how well I keep my teeth—I don't have a single filling or missing tooth.

Where I am Today (2012-01-14) and What Needs to be Done
So that was that. I decided to get my consent forms through and go ahead with it. Now here I am with two extraction appointments scheduled for the 16th and 23rd of Jan. I require 4 premolars out: two bottom and two top. Three of them are the first (front) ones, while one of them is the second (back, just before the first molar). This is to correct the position of my teeth on top of each other. One side of my mouth has them staggered as they should be, but on the other side they are immediately above each other, which is bad.

Once I've had those extracted (which is going to cost around £160 if I remember rightly), I'll have my braces put on a week afterwards. I'm having ceramics on top and metal on bottom. The reason for this is because my orthodontist believes, because of my bite, having ceramic on the top and bottom might cause complications if they were to scrape against each other (why this doesn't happen with metal on the lowers, I don't know XD). One advantage to this will be a saving of £200, which covers my extractions, which I originally thought would be included in the price :-=

Which is a point: my treatment will cost me £2,795 and it will take about 2 years. A lot of time and money, considering, but I'll be very glad to have had it done and get perfect teeth. And it could have been a lot more so I should think myself lucky.

I'm a bit reluctant to share photos, as I'm quite self conscious, but I feel it's a very important part of sharing the story. So here are some photos of my crooked teeth currently, before the dreaded extractions in a few days (sorry, my bottom lips don't normally like that bad! I've been biting them recently (probably from being nervous, lol). Naughty me!):
My friends all seem to say they don't notice anything wrong with my teeth, but the important thing is that they are definitely far from perfect (my teeth, not my friends, lol), and would greatly benefit from being straightened (in fact, looking at the photos I feel they're even more terrible than they look in person! But, then, we don't normally go around with our lips parted so, lol!). Most importantly, it would boost my self confidence greatly! I'll also look forward to getting them whitened afterwards!

So that's basically my story so far. I'm quite nervous about Monday, but I just need to keep looking at those photos and I realise it will be worth it. I'd love to hear from you all, so please post! Have many of you needed teeth extracted, too? Is it a common thing? What are all your time frames for treatment? Any of you also have ceramic/metal combo? I'd love to hear from you all :)

I look forward to posting my updates. I can't wait to get my braces on and show you all :D

Thanks very much for reading!

Dom
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.
Currently: Third adjustment 19 June (all teeth bracketed!)

midnight

Re: Dom's Story

#2 Post by midnight »

Hi Dom, thanks for sharing your story. I had all my wisdom teeth removed before getting braces and from reading on here it seems like quite a few people (especially those in the UK) have extractions before braces. Since getting my braces and taking photos i've been noticing loads more things that are 'wrong' about my teeth than before but hopefully that will make it easier to see progress! Hope Monday goes well for you :)

Domino

#3 Post by Domino »

Thanks, midnight! I hope so, too. I'm nervous about losing teeth, as I know the moment I do it there is no turning back. I'm not so nervous about the pain... Most people seem to tell me it's a breeze and you only have discomfort afterwards; I hear the injection(s) is the most painful bit. I have codeine standing by, anyway, if the dentist doesn't already give me some :D

Apparently, my wisdom teeth aren't going to come through, except one (top left) that has come half way through and won't come any further. Unfortunately, it is at an angle (typical, huh), and it's cutting into my cheek. My dentist said it's fine as it is and won't need removing unless I want it to. I'm contemplating if I should or not, or if I can ask the dentist to just file it down to stop it cutting my cheek. It can be quite uncomfortable at times and even makes my cheek bleed. But then, weeks can go by without even noticing it, it's only on occasion for a few days.

To be honest, I'd prefer having 4 wisdom teeth out than 4 premolars (despite the fact that wisdom teeth are hell of a lot more tricky to extract). They just seem... a bit more redundant and not so obvious and close to the front. I feel more sentimental towards my premolars! They're some of my nicest teeth, unfortunately.
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.

kellyb

#4 Post by kellyb »

Hi Dom :mrgreen:

Good luck with the extractions on Monday. Luckily, I did not have to get any teeth extracted before braces. In fact, I had 2 teeth extracted as a child and when I went for my consultation back in November, the ortho said his job would have been easier if I still had those 2 teeth. I have multiple gaps (apparently my jaw is too big for my teeth) and an overjet. I am currently only wearing braces on my lower arch (fitted 8 days ago). The upper arch to be fitted in March. I will have ceramics on both top and bottom. My treatment is expected to take about 18 months.

btw, i think your teeth look great presently.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

braceface74

#5 Post by braceface74 »

what fab white teeth you have, they;ll look amazing after your treatment.

good luck with the extractions, i'm sure it will be fine.
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story

Domino

#6 Post by Domino »

Thanks for the replies! Getting nervous as I'll be having the first two out tomorrow. Eeeek!

Thank you for the compliments too! I'm quite surprised as I thought they looked bad, lol. I do look forward to having them perfectly straight! I just find it a shame I have to lose 4 to do it :(

I'll post an update tomorrow afterwards, and probably put up a photo to show the first two gaps.

braceface74

#7 Post by braceface74 »

Good luck tomorrow.. tomorrow is b-day for me.... trying not to think about it!!!

My Braces story

Domino

#8 Post by Domino »

braceface74 wrote:Good luck tomorrow.. tomorrow is b-day for me.... trying not to think about it!!!
Happy Birthday!

Having first extractions in just over 3 hours... Nervous! :cry:

braceface74

#9 Post by braceface74 »

Glad to say i've been and done it so all over with for me :)... i recommend early morning appointments :).

Good luck..not long to go and it will be all over and done with.

My Braces story

Domino

#10 Post by Domino »

Congrats! I look forward to hearing and seeing how it all goes!

Yeah, won't be long, but I'll need to go through this again in a week's time, and then get the braces on in... I don't know yet. I really need to book that appointment today so I don't have to wait long.

How long did many of you wait after extractions to get your actual braces on? I hope it's not long... I'd get them on the same day if it was up to me, haha!

nessness

#11 Post by nessness »

Hey Dom,

You do really have some beautiful gnashers there! Once they're straight you're definitely gonna have the Hollywood smile! 8)

Extractions aren't bad at all. For me, it was painless as long as I took my painkillers at the specific times I didn't feel much pain, just a little soreness here and there....and this was 9 extractions + Impacted canine surgery baring in mind. So I'm certain you'll be fine, just be careful in those areas.

Once I had the extractions, it was about a week and a half later my braces were put on so you don't wait long for that part. Hope all goes well today :D

Domino

#12 Post by Domino »

Domino wrote:
braceface74 wrote:Good luck tomorrow.. tomorrow is b-day for me.... trying not to think about it!!!
Happy Birthday!

Having first extractions in just over 3 hours... Nervous! :cry:
Lol, I'm such an idiot. I should have realised that b-day on a braces forum actually meant 'braces day', not birthday! Silly me. Sorry!

Happy Braces Day!
nessness wrote:Hey Dom,

You do really have some beautiful gnashers there! Once they're straight you're definitely gonna have the Hollywood smile! 8)

Extractions aren't bad at all. For me, it was painless as long as I took my painkillers at the specific times I didn't feel much pain, just a little soreness here and there....and this was 9 extractions + Impacted canine surgery baring in mind. So I'm certain you'll be fine, just be careful in those areas.

Once I had the extractions, it was about a week and a half later my braces were put on so you don't wait long for that part. Hope all goes well today :D
Thanks, nessness! I can't wait for them to be straight, hehe.

Yeah, I'm not too nervous about the extractions themselves, as the pain is something I can put up with (and as you said and from what I've heard, they're not that bad anyway!); it's just the fact of losing the teeth that I'm nervous and sad about :( Ah, well, it'll all be worth it in the end.

I'll try and book an appointment for the braces as soon after my last extractions as possible. I hope it won't be much more than a week, then!

Off to have my first extractions now!!! See you all when I get back!

Domino

#13 Post by Domino »

I'm back! There's no going back now...

Extraction 1
Well, it didn't go completely to plan...

He started on my upper right (UR4). He gave me 3 injections, which were a lot less painful than I was expecting! The first injection I barely even felt, and certainly didn't feel it even go in. I was surprised how slowly he inserted it and how long it was kept there. The 2nd I didn't feel much more either, but the 3rd I did; it was like, well, a needle. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but out of the three, that one I definitely felt.

He then did an x-ray of my right side while the injections took affect. The x-ray was very fast and the numbing also came on very quickly. It began to feel like my mouth was swelling. After the x-ray, he did a pain test by prodding my gum all over; I didn't feel a thing!

So then he went ahead and attempted to extract it. It's hard to describe what it's like... They literally wiggle the tooth, while putting pressure on the socket to make it loose. I'm not sure how long it took for the tooth to come out, as he didn't announce it when it came out, but the whole thing took ages because, unfortunately, a very small bit of the top of the root snapped and was lodged in the socket. I think this is what took the majority of the time (40-50 minutes in all). He did say, though, that I hardly bled, which is cool!

As there was so much work done on it—which he assures me shouldn't be the case for the other three—he says the gum will be too tender to extract the 2nd tooth from the right side, so he recommended I wait till my next appointment (next Monday) to get the last three out. I thought this kind of defeated the point of having two separate appointments to only allow one side of my mouth to be numb at a time, but I don't mind now, as I just want the rest out.

So, yeah, I'm home and my mouth feels really weird. It's still mostly numb, and it feels like it's really swollen, as if it's huge, but a look in the mirror surprised me to see there was nothing different at all.

I feel kind of sad that the tooth has gone. Looking at the gap in my mouth is quite horrendous. I've kept hold of the tooth in a little bag, but it's still sad to see it not in my mouth anymore. It's no fun having teeth out that are perfectly healthy, and that is what my dentist said: healthy teeth in adults aren't meant to be removed, which is a reason towards the hassle I had. I thought, now I've had that done, there's nothing to worry about for my next appointment, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. I don't fancy going through that three more times, but I don't have a choice now. I really hope the next three will be easier; he says they should be.

I'm hoping now it isn't going to hurt much, but I'll soon find out once the numbness has worn off. How was everyone else's experience with their extractions? Were they easy? Did you have any complications with roots snapping, like me? I know it could have been a lot worse, and it didn't bother me too much. I certainly didn't feel any pain, it's just an uncomfortable and weird sensation having your tooth wiggled till it falls out.

Now that I've finished writing, I can feel a dull sort of ache in the area. I think it's getting a bit worse, more like a pain. I hope it won't get too bad. I'll also refrain from sharing any photos of the gap just yet, as it doesn't look too pretty. I can't swill my mouth out yet for another 24 hours.

Hope to hear from you all! :)

braceface74

#14 Post by braceface74 »

gosh, sounds pretty traumatic to me... i wouldn't have coped at all in that situation! I'm sure it will go a lot smoother next time.. i guess you just have to concentrate on the fact that you didn't feel any pain :). Always focus on the positive.

Like you i think i'd rather they just got it over and done with so it's good it's all happening at the next appt.

Hope you it isn't too bad a recovery for you.

My Braces story

Domino

#15 Post by Domino »

To be honest, it wasn't that much of a deal, actually! The only bad thing about it was the length of time. It took a while to get it completely out, but it wasn't painful and I just tried to relax. By far the worst bit about it is now the gap—it's horrible! I have absolutely no idea how my ortho is going to close it, lol.

Regarding pain afterwards, it got a lot worse after my post. I took two ibuprofen and two paracetamol, and for hours it still hurt a lot. The pain has died down a bit now, and I have some codeine later before I go to bed. I think the reason it was so bad was because of the complication; if it had gone smoothly, I doubt it'd be that painful now. I did manage to eat mashed potatoes, minced beef, and beans earlier without any issue, though. I'll be glad tomorrow when I can swill my mouth out properly, and once my gum has properly healed; it does not look pretty at the moment.

I really hope it will be worth having the upper two teeth out, as well as the bottom two. I keep thinking to myself that the uppers weren't really needed to be extracted, but I'm sure my ortho has a good reason; thing is, I keep forgetting what that is...