OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#346 Post by klobird »

Hey Lau--Ya, she is the best--I recommend her to everyone I know..

OK--so I'm an idiot!!!--- :crazy: :huh: :roll: I didn't even put two and two together until today...

Yesterday, when I went to the ortho to get the wires out for the dentist, and the ortho office was running way behind. I went up to the front and mentioned that I had to get to the dentist. They understand that. So, they got the ortho to take off the wires and power chains (he usually just runs around diagnosing and then telling the assistants what to do--except he does place the brackets--then they do everything else). Anyway--while he was taking everything off he was looking all over. He said something about the back molars not coming down and lining up, and how they would work on that, but in the end my bite wouldn't be messed up if they remained where they were....ok whatever--blah,blah,blah.....

Sooooo, now back to the ortho (after my dental appt) for my beautiful blue powerchains ( :-#) ).and archwires. And after the appt, like I mentioned before, it hurt like hell. I couldn't even bite down on food on all four molars in the back.

That's when we get to the big DUH!!!!!!!!!The power chains are doubled from the back molars to the next molar forward. I can feel the double chain. And they weren't chained prior--I could floss and there was no chain getting in the way. So basically, the ortho actually did a bit of an adjustment!!!! Feels exactly like an adjustment. I did not expect this!!! I got an adjustment only because he was the one taking everything out prior to the dental appt!! Lucky me :roll: ..and I have another adjustment in 2 1/2 weeks!! :yikes:

Oh well...better now than next time when I get an even heavier wire...I was all freaking out about a stainless steel wire, and yesterday he mentioned something about the stainless steel wires I have now...I really should pay more attention!

So this is so funny!!! When I went back to the ortho after my dental appt., my cool assistant did everything. We talk a lot. So when I was in the waiting room, I read about a new movie coming out called "We Need to Talk About Kevin". So as I was sitting down, I asked if she had heard about the movie. I don't think she heard me.

So, after a few minutes, she asked if I go to church somewhere nearby. And then she started talking about where she goes to church. I was thinking "wow, weird questions"... Anyway, after a few minutes of talking, we both realized that
she thought I had said "We need to talk about heaven"!!!! I am still laughing about it today!!!! :-* :-* :-*

elseegee64

#347 Post by elseegee64 »

HI klobird! Just found your story. I'm excited to be here and read everyone's journey! I have been braced for one week. Look forward to your continuing saga!

klobird

#348 Post by klobird »

Congratulations Elseegee for taking the plunge! I am so glad I did! If you have any questions, I am here a LOT and I seem to think I know it all!! :crazy: :HugeGrin:

White Fang

#349 Post by White Fang »

Klobird I really enjoy reading your write-ups, we're right there along with you wincing but grinning too! I'm sorry I missed the chance to vote for your photo in the ortho contest. Did you find out who won yet?? More importantly, when do we get some new update pics, would love to see how your teeth are going. I just got elastics for the first time yesterday and they are really killing me but sounds like you've had a much worse time with them than I have.

klobird

#350 Post by klobird »

Hey White Fang--thanks for reading!

I completely forgot to update on the contest...A teacher won--she had a poster board up in the school that said sign here if you voted for me--and the IPAD was going to be for classroom use. Her poster board was FULL of signatures (the ortho site has a picture). Anyway, I'm really glad that she won for her classroom--I come from a family of teachers..I was a little disppointed that I didn't win, but really think it was won for a much better cause.

So when I found out someone else won, I went online and entered tons of contests. :crazy: Ya, not a good idea. I have had an 888 phone # calling me about 5 times a day! I answered the first time and it finally got to "we'll send you some magazines..." When her kids (or whatever) started going crazy in the background, I hung up. I turn my cell phone off at work, but check it often. The same missed # is showing up over and over and over. Geesh! Give it up!! Especially when my message has said forever "if I don't recognize your # , I probably won't answer, but if you leave a message, I'll call you back as soon as I am able". Get a clue folks--I'M NOT ANSWERING THE PHONE!!
(A side note: it is possible to win an actual prize--I won a trip to the Cotton Bowl once!)

My ortho may be taking pics next Monday (I'm dressing for it just in case-- :HugeGrin: ) I will put them up if he does. I can do that. If not, I will e-mail some pics to Ebony in Norway again, and she will put them up for me I hope. I really don't see much change... :Questions:

Ya, elastics...good ole elastics...give it some time White Fang--you should get used to them...that's all I'm gonna say about that....he he he... :twisted: :!:

klobird

#351 Post by klobird »

Happy Birthday to Me!
Happy Birthday to Me!
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
Happy Birthday to Me!

:-)o :-)o :-)o :-V :-V :-V :-* +\+ :dance: :dance: :jokerlaugh: :HugeGrin: :HugeGrin: :-)o

I love my birthday--I'm going to party all weekend :!: :tingrin:

VancouverJude

#352 Post by VancouverJude »

Dudette! You've caught up to me we're now both Jack Benny's age.

Have a great weekend.

-- Jude

lau

#353 Post by lau »

Happy bday Klobird! Post pics!!
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

klobird

#354 Post by klobird »

If the ortho doesn't take pics tomorrow, then I will take some with my cell phone and get them to Ebony. I'm telling you, though, they don't look one bit different than the last pics I put up... :?

Ya, I gotta go to the ortho in the morning--he warned me about this appt.... :shock: oh well--I WANT these teeth to move!! No pain, no gain....

EbonyQ

#355 Post by EbonyQ »

Good luck today klobird :heart: :heart:

[/url]

klobird

#356 Post by klobird »

I had an adjustment today. I got the Forsus Appliance!! :huh: :yikes: :shock:

It was totally unexpected...a curve ball with a major curve!! I was supposed to "be waaaayyy past that"!! My bite--on the left side--is just not moving-at all...although the right side is "perfect". So, when he said that, I said "so I'll just be getting the Forsus on the left side?" Ahhhhh...NO!! Both sides--I have the full blown deal... :shock: :shock: :shock: :!:

As I said in the Metal Mouth forum-and in the past on my blog--I thought I would prefer something close to death over the Forsus Appliance (look online to see what it is if you don't know...). I couldn't imagine anything worse on earth than ever having that horrible,terrifying thing in my mouth.. hmmm....

So here's the deal--it's just not that bad...the ortho told me that even if it's fine today, that it will take about a week to adjust to it, and that in a day or so, I will be really sore..As usual after an adjustment, I got nothing right now...it's all just dandy...give me a day or two to rant and rave and whine.... :roll:

So I decided to list the pros and cons of the Forsus:

Pros:
-I will be out of braces sooner--he confirmed that would be likely.
-I will see a lot of movement with the Forsus.
-I don't have to deal with elastics now (yippeee!)
-The Forsus doesn't show at all (not like elastics do)
-I can move my mouth every which way I want with no problems at all--I envisioned my mouth being held in bars in an unmoveable position, not able to move backward etc.. Not even close to true!
-The side that is "activated" went on perfectly--snug--no random movement.
-No power chains this time around.
-I don't know how to explain it, but the springs have more "give" than elastics.
-The Forsus also brings in an overjet--I am disappointed that mine seems to have stopped at 4mm. I don't want ANY overjet!! I am really looking forward to my overjet coming in some more!
-It's just not that bad.
-Oh ya--lol--I almost forgot--it will fix my bite on the left side!

Cons:
-The passive side doesn't fit that snuggly. The Forsus on that side feels loose, and has this thing in front that wiggles around because it's not crimped as tight. (She did the best she could--sometimes people have the loose thing on both sides--that would be really difficult. If both sides were fitting snuggly, I would have no complaints about the Forsus at all..) So anyway, being loose, it pinches my lip. I'm using wax, and after a while of this, it could be like a bad elastics event (which I definitely have had!)
-It makes noise when I open and close my mouth because it rubs along my teeth, but it's not as creepy or loud as I have read about.
-The assistant gave me cotton rolls. She said I will need them, especially at night, at first. That scares me...what is going to be that bad :soremouth: :?:
-The office manager told me once that a woman had it removed after 2 months, that she couldn't handle it anymore..that scares me..(although the manager told me that I could have it out anytime--she was reassuring me that my right to have treatment or not have treatment is totally my choice).
-I'm going to have to train my tongue to move the Forsus out of the way when I eat--although it wasn't that bad when I ate a hamburger and fries after my appt.
-In some ways, it's like when you first get braces--I have to learn and adjust to a lot of things. I'm up for it because of the benefits, but not really looking forward to it. Kind of a pain in the butt...
-Brushing my teeth is also going to be a learning thing--just like in the beginning the waterpik was spraying water all over the place.
-Oh ya, and those wiggly things in front do put a slight puffy look on the sides of my bottom lip--but show mostly only when my mouth is wide open. Not a big deal to me.

This is my experience. Everyone has their own experience. I have only had the Forsus for about 10 hours. Only time will tell if this is really an icky thing to have. And believe me, anyone reading this will be the first to know!

I am going to take pictures of the Forsus with my cell phone, and ask Eb to post them here. It will probably take a few days...I will take a few pictures of the top and bottom teeth, which will show that they haven't moved very much.

I guess I will have the Forsus for about 6 months....hmmmm...

VancouverJude

#357 Post by VancouverJude »

klobird wrote:I had an adjustment today. I got the Forsus Appliance!!
WOW. I. AM. SPEECHLESS. I really thought you had dodged the bullet.

Klobird, you're getting the full-meal-deal of orthodontic service. Well I'm proof it's not so awful (ahem, on one side anyhoo - LOL.)

No palatal expander?

Hang in there kitten!

scully

#358 Post by scully »

I didn't have to get spacers because I have no bands on my molars... I guess I must have lucked out! :D

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.

klobird

#359 Post by klobird »

Hey Jude--The whole time I wrote that I was thinking of you!! You are one person who understands--well, halfway understands!! Lol!!

How long have you had yours now? And yes, I fear the palate expander also, but that is not even in the cards--my top arch is good says the ortho. Small favors....

OK, I still think you beat me in the ick department--Forsus, and palate expander--ewwww....

And yes--I. AM. SPEECHLESS too!!!

It's all good so far...hmmmm...

Does your flippy thing flip a lot???

scully

#360 Post by scully »

Beauty is Pain wrote:Ah you are soo lucky! I am craving a block of dark chocolate right now, but the pain makes it impossible to bite down on the chocolate :/ So looks like I'll have to just wait. You got elastics?? How do they feel? I am getting them in 6 monthes, NOT looking forward to them. Oh and I must ask you this question, do you floss with just regular floss or do you use those special ones? I don't know whether to just stick with regular or buy the stiff ended ones, not too keen on the threaders though. THanks!! :)

I can eat chocolate with my bite block by holding it in my mouth until it melts...

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.