Another braces story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

Re: Another braces story

#31 Post by luchababe »

I think I'm staring the "it's gets worse before it gets better" stage. :(

My one front tooth on the bottom, it's the one sitting in front of all the others. It seems to be being tipped forward so it's emerging from my gums on the inside. I can see a speck of white at the gum like, like MORE plaque is revealed or has gathered there in the past few weeks. It's making me a little worried. I try to keep telling myself that the gums follow the teeth. Once the teeth are straight, they'll be pulled upright, that tooth will sort of sink back down and the gum will grow back up the back there. I hope! :(

luchababe

#32 Post by luchababe »

This is what I'm freaking about:

It appeared over the last week. I can feel a lump where it's coming up out of my gums. :shock: What's going on?

I know, taking a picture that close with a flash never makes ANYTHING look good. It probably looks worse in the photo that it really is. But it's bugging me. It feels tender when I press on it with my tongue the way a tooth does when it's starting to move.

My ortho appointment is 2 weeks today. If I can just hold onto my sanity until then!

RedDress

#33 Post by RedDress »

I understand your concern. sorry, i cannot help.
I was freaked out abt the same thing once. even opened a topic. I though my wire was too tight and it was pulling one tooh outwards.
I even went to the ortho right away for an extra appointment to check it that was all right. they reassured me but my case was still different. I only have one rotated tooth and a spring to free the space for it.

luchababe

#34 Post by luchababe »

RedDress Everyone is so different. Sometimes it's hard to find the answer you're looking for because no one has the exact same problem. :? I don't remember ANY of this paranoia when I first had braces as a kid, but back then we didn't have the internet. We had to wait to see the dentist to get questions answered. (And walk up hill both ways to get there :wink: ) That's the trouble with such easy access to too much information, I could spend hours online trying to self diagnose myself, getting myself all worked up in a lather when it will all turn out to be perfectly normal and fixable.

gokix

Re:

#35 Post by gokix »

luchababe wrote: What I've learned:
If anything is going to teach me patience, it's braces.

Don't use handcream before sticking a finger in your mouth to remove food or to check something in there. Blech.
Haha, been there, done that! Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum! :D

BraceFace2o1o

#36 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hey luchababe - I can relate to how you feel. I've freaked out (a few times) on here and made a thread, hoping for an answer/solution... but afterwards realised everyone's case is different so how can they really answer my question... I guess only an Ortho who sees me in person could do that, but not untrained people on a forum, or even an Ortho on a forum in some cases. As you know, I have a worry about the gum above my right upper front tooth - I was going to mention it to my Ortho yesterday when he quickly checked my molar band, but I didn't because I could tell he was busy and it wasn't a proper appointment. If he isn't too rushed at my adjustment on the 20th, I might ask. But I do feel a little embarrassed like he'll think "wow you worry too much" :D, so knowing me I'll leave it again but go home wishing I had asked and with it still bothering me.

Ohhhh the internet can be a great place, but also a very bad one. Many times I've had a symptom and Googled it to then be freaked out at what I found :lol: I am totally guilty of that, even with things about my teeth. I try not to do it too much now, because everytime I do it it's always such negative responses :ThumbsDown:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

luchababe

#37 Post by luchababe »

Chrystal - We both have an adjustment on the same day! Maybe we'll both get the answers we want. I'm looking forward to it but not at the same time. I want to know some things and see how I'm doing, maybe get another wire or two but I know it's going to hurt and be uncomfortable, whatever they do, because my teeth are still loose.

mikesmile

#38 Post by mikesmile »

luchababe :)

First of all, I love your cute avatar! Congrats on completing the first month & a half of your braces journey. As a second timer it must have felt a wee bit familiar to be wearing braces again. I know it did for me at first, and it helped me get used to them pretty quickly this time. 8) Yeah, I agree that your attention to the details of treatment is also much keener the 2nd time as well.

Your problem with that bottom tooth that's not 'towing the line'...I wouldn't stress over it too much since you're still more or less at the outset of your treatment. There's plenty of time for that tooth to join in once your lower arch rounds out more (and makes more room). At over 10 months in, I'm still watching my teeth look better-then look worse-then better-etc.

Good luck with everything...and w/ getting your questions answered.

Mike

Second Time In Braces - Estimate 12-14 Months

Wore Braces Twice As An Adult .....Finally Happy With the Results
5/85 - 11/87 Metal Braces T/B for 30 Months w/ elastics.
1/22/10 - 4/15/11 Metal Braces Top 15 Months / Bottom 1 Year w/ elastics.
Essex Retainers T/B Full Time, then switched to Night Time.

luchababe

#39 Post by luchababe »

mikesmile Hiya! Thanks for liking my avatar. It's a pinup I did ages ago, I just added braces to her!

All I remember from my first time in braces, 20+ years ago :shock: was pain and piles and piles of wax. I was really prepared for the worst so it was a HUGE relief to find out how much things have changed and improved. It wasn't and hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Thanks for your kind words and advice. I seem to have hit my panic limit and haven't thought about that tooth that much since that post. I'm very interested to see how my bottom teeth line up because right now I just can't figure it out! I want to take one out so the others can move into place then put that one back in. :) I take pictures the same day every week to mark my progress since I got braces on a thursday. I think I'm going to make a little movie of those bottom teeth moving in a few months, so I can really see how they all fit together!

luchababe

#40 Post by luchababe »

Ever looked in the mirror when the light is different and you see all sorts of things that don't normally show up? The kinds of things that are always there but you never see them? Lumps, bumps, spots, hairs, freckles.... :shock: Yeah, just did that when the sun was out and looked too closely at my teeth. I've never noticed those strange colour patterns before.... :?

luchababe

#41 Post by luchababe »

Week 7

All I want for Christmas is my new archwire,
my new archwire,
my new archwire,
So I can wish you Merry Christmas!

I feel like Christmas is secondary to waiting for my first adjustment appointment on the 20th. I'm planning on posting pics that day to compare to first day and one month in. I'm also planning on popping and Advil before I go. I'm anticipating discomfort since my teeth are still loose and I can't bite into anything harder that a banana. Having someone push and pull on these brackets will not be fun.

The Good

My teeth are definitely moving! It's so satisfying to final see it.

The Bad

My one bumper where I do all my chewing makes that tooth ache when I eat.
There are still evenings, after dinner, where I feel like taking my fingernails and scraping my braces off my teeth. They itch!

What I've learned

Not so much lately. :? Except maybe this: I think I'm one of the lucky ones because I never HATED my teeth and didn't wait months and months start braces. It all happened pretty fast.

drgnchsr36

#42 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Love reading your posts!!

.. curious.. what do you mean by "itching?" teeth? gums? all the above?

luchababe

#43 Post by luchababe »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Love reading your posts!!

.. curious.. what do you mean by "itching?" teeth? gums? all the above?
:D I swear it's my teeth itching. Not my gums or the inside of my cheeks. My teeth itch and I want to scratch my braces off! It's sooo odd. :shock:

drgnchsr36

#44 Post by drgnchsr36 »

aCk, that sounds a bit trippy!

Hope it goes away soon!!

BraceFace2o1o

#45 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

luchababe wrote:Ever looked in the mirror when the light is different and you see all sorts of things that don't normally show up?
Oh yes! :lol:

Only a couple of days until our first adjustment. I'm still not sure whether to mention my gum to him or not :?, I feel embarrassed... Hmm. I pressed on it lastnight and it started to bleed, luckily it's only that one that bleeds, no others. Someone (my ortho or dentist) must know what's upsetting it! I floss, brush, mouthwash, so I have no idea. It's like something is stuck just under the gum line, like a bit of plaque or something and my gum above that tooth is saying "hey, until this bit of dirt/plaque is removed I will continue to get angry, bleed and receed!" yo, I am a poet and I didn't know it lol.

Oh and your camera looks awesome! Look at that close up and how clear that picture is. I wish mine was as good :gavel:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos