Farmboy's orthodontic odyssey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

farmboy

#16 Post by farmboy »

Aside from little discomfort, one of the things I've thought was strange about my treatment is that I've had very little use for wax the first two months in braces.

Boy, has that changed. In the last week, I've used plenty of it to cover several elastic hooks that keep wanting to gouge my cheeks and an archwire that suddenly has protruded from the back.

Every day is a new adventure with these things.

BraceFace2o1o

#17 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi farmboy, just thought I'd stop by here to say hello!
At my last adjustment in late August, I got a powerchain to help close up some gaps that were beginning to form. (Strange how the orthodontic process works; I have fairly crowded teeth and didn't know there would be room for gaps to form!)
This is encouraging to read... because I was thinking about how on earth my teeth are going to move/shift when tere is literally no spaces! I started to think it was impossible :lol:. It's amazing really how they can make even the tightest/crowded teeth move :?
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

SonyaM

#18 Post by SonyaM »

It's good to hear that progress is being seen! Congratulations!

farmboy

#19 Post by farmboy »

Thanks Chrystal and SonyaM for checking in and your kind words.

I'll see tomorrow actually how much progress has been made when I go in for my third adjustment.

Before my adjustment, I'm getting my first cleaning since I've had my braces. I'm interested to hear what the dentist has to say about my cleaning habits.

I hope it's something good...I try my best!

farmboy

#20 Post by farmboy »

Friday was an interesting "dental day" for me.

It started out with my orthodontist taking out my archwires at 8 a.m., followed by a frantic drive across the county in rush-hour traffic to my dentist's office. Why ditch the archiwires? It's much easier for the dentist to clean things.

My dental cleaning went great, though I got told I had some mild plaque buildup where my archwire covers the space between my upper molars. The dentist said I don't do a bad job brushing, just that those areas are hard to reach. Good thing I don't have bands back there.

After that, it was another 10-mile mad dash back to the ortho to have my hardware re-assembled with another custom-bent archwire. My orthodontist said she was happy with my progress.

I told her I was surprised considering the lack of soreness that I've experienced. "You'll be a little more sore next month after we start changing a few things," she told me.

She wouldn't elaborate. Grrr. My orthodontist is great, but it does bug me that she seems to give nebulous answers to what (to me) are direct questions.

I guess I should just be happy the soreness only lasted one afternoon and that I've successfully avoided getting elastics yet again.

farmboy

#21 Post by farmboy »

Two days after my latest adjustment, I'll be heading back to the ortho again. My archwire has dislodged iteself from my rearmost lower molar. The wire has bent and sometimes pokes my cheek, though I'm more worried about how that molar will move without the wire. It's done very little since I started treatment. Something to ask the doctor about.....

After Friday's adjustment, my orthodontist's promised pain never materialized. Not that I'm complaining, but I can't believe how little discomfort my adjustments have caused me. I just hope the other shoe isn't getting ready to drop later.

jensceana73

#22 Post by jensceana73 »

Hey there :-1

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky one's and not have much for pain, but lots of progress!!! I, on the other hand...am not so lucky. So..I'm a bit jealous of you. My adjustments, and there after....make me wanna curl up in a ball and cry for my mommy!! I dread each visit. But, my teeth have done a lot of moving and improving so it is, all worth it. Good luck to you, hope you find whatever pain your looking for...or lack there of!!! :D
(Me jealous...sooooo jealous) :wink:
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

farmboy

Re: Farmboy's orthodontic odyssey

#23 Post by farmboy »

Hey out there. I'm back!!!

Although I've had naked teeth for several years, Farmboy's orthodontic journey continues anew. On Monday, I'll be braced for the THIRD time!

And this being the third time and all, why is it I'm beset with anxiety and apprehension? I've worn braces for a considerable chunk of my existence, this hesitation and nervousness perplexes me...not that it will stop me.

For those curious about why I'll have my teeth in jail for a third time, read on. Even if nobody's interested, I think it will be a salve for the soul to write out my thoughts:

Over the last month, I've had consultations with a number of orthodontists. All concurred a tongue thrust/poor tongue posture has begun to open up my bite -- again. When I had braces for the second time several years ago, I mentioned to the doctor back then my concern with a tongue thrust. The doctor suggested spikes on the backs of my front teeth to ward off my tongue, but then decided it was too barbaric a solution and that my tongue would retrain itself during the course of treatment. It has not; instead, my tongue has pushed my teeth out of position, destroying the perfectly meshing bite I once had. After my braces the last time, I could bite all the way through a piece of pizza or cleanly through a submarine sandwich. Now, my teeth aren't exactly wonky, but they awkwardly drag the cheese and toppings off the pizza, or pull the lettuce out of the sandwich. I know it's a small thing, but it bugged me after wearing braces for more than two years to correct that problem.

I sought opinions on how to remedy the situation. All the doctors said braces were the only way. So I sit here now, three days away from braces on my front teeth. My new orthodontist will put the braces on the front teeth on Monday, and I'll also have spacers placed. The lower bands will go on a week later. In mid-November, just a few days before Thanksgiving, I'll get a fixed tongue crib. Should be fun!

Thanks for reading my rant! More to come....

farmboy

#24 Post by farmboy »

Two days and counting....

I visited my favorite farmers market this morning to stock up for a two-day binge on crunchy, delicious harvest items that will soon land on the verboten list. Pink Lady apples, I will miss biting into you (although when I'm done with the braces I will be able to bite into you cleanly without leaving half the bite behind). Sweet carrots and nectarines, fare thee well. I'll think of you often while I sip soup during my mouth's imprisonment.

Jethro

#25 Post by Jethro »

Hey farmboy, sorry to hear you need round 3, but hopefully all will be corrected this time. Hope you're adjusting well to the new hardware.
All the best.

Jethro