goodbye forever - 24 from UK, just starting out, pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

goodbyeforever

goodbye forever - 24 from UK, just starting out, pics

#1 Post by goodbyeforever »

Hello everyone! I came across this site today and theres loads of info on it its great! So i'm going to start my own blog thread type thing :) I'm only starting out...not even sure if I'm definitely going to take the plunge..but i'll give you a bit of background on me...

I'm a 24 year old female but back when I was 11 or 12 I had an upper retainer and then was advised to get upper and lower fixed braces when I was 13..but being my stubborn and self-concious self of course I didn't take them thinking nothing of it at the time!

Now at 24 I see my smile completely differently...my teeth are pretty crowded with a crossbite on each side (i think thats what its called)..like they 'go in' in the middle. A few of the front ones are flared and the lower ones are crowded and the back molars tip in..sorry I don't much much terminology!
To be honest I dont mind the shape of the front ones...or the very back ones too much, but the ones in the middle I would love to be pushed/pulled outwards just to be in line with the rest!

Unfortunately where I work I do alot of presentations and so full metal braces doen't sound too appealing so I've taken the plunge and contacted two orthodontists in my area (took alot of courage just to do that!) They both offer ceramic braces as well as six month smile system (which would be my preference!) But I know my teeth are pretty messed up so I'm not sure they'll be able to do anything with the six month ones...but no harm in checking anyway?

Hopefully they'll get back to me soon about the consultation dates...I feel a little excited..and a little sick at the same time :s For now here are some pictures of my teeth..I warn you they aren't very nice :P I have alot of fillings and they are very crowded..that and I had to take the pictures on an iphone...not the best camera in the world. But you'll be able to see the crossbite and crowding I'm taking about!

This is my normal smile..when I smile naturally lol
Shot at 2011-06-24

This is when I pull my lips back..
Shot at 2011-06-24

This is from the side...its pretty much the same on each side..notice the horrible middle tooth
Shot at 2011-06-24

top arch (yuk!)
Shot at 2011-06-24

bottom arch (also yuk!)
Shot at 2011-06-24

Melody85

Re: goodbye forever - 24 from UK, just starting out, pics

#2 Post by Melody85 »

Welcome to the boards and congrats on making some serious consideration about taking the plunge to get braces!
You will find alot of very nice and very helpful people on here, they have given me some great advice. I've had braces on for 6 months, and had similar front teeth to yourself. After only 6 months they are already so much straighter, i'm really happy. Go for ceramic (clear) braces on the top as they are less noticeable. They do these on most adults anyway. These days it is far more socially acceptable to have braces on, so don't worry too much about being self conscious. It just feels weird and bulky in your mouth until you get used to them, but it's not as noticeable as you think it is. We get quite paranoid about ourselves sometimes but just remember that most people are far too wrapped up with their own insecurities to notice a little thing like braces! Good luck and be sure to keep us updated with how you go :D

revelvia

#3 Post by revelvia »

Hello! We're pretty similar, I'm 23 and also from the UK, and like you I have to do a stupid amount of presentations which are why I've put braces off. Unfortunatley unlike you I'm NHS so I'm going full metal :lol:
[/url]

goodbyeforever

#4 Post by goodbyeforever »

melody thank you :) your probably right..most people have their own problems and won't really care too much about me having them..but it doesn't stop me from being nervous lol hopefully itll all be for the better anyway!

revelvia your brave going for full metal when you do presentations, I wish I wasn't as self conscious! if you dont mind me askiing how are you getting yours on the NHS? I take it you were referred? When are you due to get yours on?

klobird

#5 Post by klobird »

Hey Goodbye!

Welcome! You will find TONS of helpful info on this site...just keep perusing thru blogs on what is what and what are the helpful tools once you get braces.... And ask questions in the Metal Mouth forum when you have them--it's so helpful!!

I am 55, and I have Damon Q all metal top and bottom...They are so small that they are hard to feel--it's the pokey wires that I get when my bite changes and have to get snipped off, and the elastics hooks that get me. But silicone wax (like
Mack's earplug wax) works wonders. (They give you that hard stuff at the ortho, which to me is ridiculous stuff!).

Anyway, I too went for a consult for the 6 month smile--if it is only cosmetic changes that you are looking for, then they are great. But my mouth was too messed up, so that dentist referred me for a full mouth consultation and I chose that.
The price was not that horrible in comparison, and now I am soooo glad I took that plunge.

I will have them for 2yrs, which at first is overwhelming, but then you get used to them pretty much and now it's doable.

As far as metal--my ortho said that was best for me--and I really don't mind them at all. I, for some WEIRD :crazy: reason,
really like to show off my braces! :tingrin:

Good luck on whatever you choose--I am soooo happy I went with braces.

anniegirl

#6 Post by anniegirl »

Hi, I am NHS too, so I have gone for the cheaper option of full metal. like your self, I do loads of presentations to adults, but also work with teenagers, and I have to say, I have had no one commenting on the braces, which has completely shocked me! I was referred approx last May, I think, (2010), and got braces on Nov time, so a bit of a wait, but not too long!

Oh, and I am 37!

goodbyeforever

#7 Post by goodbyeforever »

Ok I finally got the dates for my consultations :shock: I say consultations because from what I've read everyone seems to advise to get at least one other point of view. They are both what seem like ages away lol..the first on the 21st july and the second on the 25th july..but I guess because I'm sort of dreading it it will probably fly by!

One seems to be significantly more expensive than the other. Just based on the guides prices..which are obviously not the final price..

1st one - 45 pounds for consultation and 1600 pounds per arch - (on the 6 month smile)
2nd one - 25 pounds for consultation and 2200 pounds for both arches (again 6 month smile)

the second place is far away from where I live but it seemed to make sense to check it out. In saying that the 1st place seemed more professional! They took pre-payment and asked me questions over the phone and are sending me out a pack and everything. However both receptionists where lovely over the phone!

klobird I'm wondering what I will do if he says no to the 6 month smile ones...to be honest I'm almost expecting it. I'm not sure I could do two or more years..seems daunting! :s makes me very nervous lol

annie I figured that would be with a referral, I've just changed dentists recently and I'm going in tomorrow to get a chipped back tooth fixed so i'm tempted to ask her what she thinks..in saying that waiting on the NHS seems like an eternity lol. I think if I don't get them soon i'll chicken out!