HeyBuckey!'s Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyBuckey!

HeyBuckey!'s Story

#1 Post by HeyBuckey! »

I'm a 23 year old who just embarked on a journey that took me 11 years to start. I've read all of these awesome stories about those who just began their journey's, ended their journey's, or even are embarking on their journey's for the 2nd or 3rd time around. For those of you who are familiar with the Orthodontic lingo, I have a Class II Malocclusion in other terms an overjet aka bucked teeth hence the username :wink: . I came out the womb sucking my thumb and didn't kick the habit until I was 14. My family tried to do everything to get me away from a habit that shriveled and whitened my thumb and pushed my upper jaw out of proper alignment at the same. Ah! The good ol days. :BigGrin:

When I turned 19 I learned the art of pushing my bottom jaw forward to give others the impression that I had fairly straight teeth inspite of my sharp canines and a minorly rogue lateral incisor on the right. It seemed to work out great until I looked at a picture of my self laughing. Whew! That was definitely a sight to see. I hope no one else noticed :oops:

I've been on an Orthodontic Crusade since May of this year and I have to say I was pretty lazy up until July when I went to my very first consultation. Then I got friggin excited even though I for sure would be getting two teeth pulled. My first consultation was a bust, I have to admit I really liked that Orthodontist, I found another that was more friendly to the insurance that I had. What was the first thing the new Ortho said to me? "Well, looks like you've got some BUCKED teeth." Thanks buddy! Tell me something I didn't know about my teeth :roll:. The ortho appointment lasted every bit of 3 mins. Maybe even less. Insurance friendly indeed, the insured friendly...not so much. Nevertheless I set up an appointment after thinking about it 2 weeks later.

The actual process took every bit of 40 minutes including my wait time. The worst part was when the wire and ligs went on. I felt immediate pressure and lucky me, the assistant made the first arch wire too short and had to rewire me. Also I wanted to swallow and with those darned separators it's impossible. I almost choked on my own saliva! I walked out last Wednesday with a set of Metals with teal ligatures on my upper row. I even ate that night. No pain, just rice from the soup I was eating getting caught under my wire. It felt quite strange to bite into a sandwich which I more than likely shouldn't have done, but I did most of the work with my unbraced lowers. I looked like a real dork eating. I chewed similar to how my Grandfathers dog does. Yeah...Not pretty at all. The next few days well, I wasn't in pain but my experience is like that of a 9 month old. I wish I had a teething ring, biter biscuits, or some orajel because I seriously felt like I was teething. Next up! Two extractions! (insert oohs and aahs here :))
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

HeyBuckey!

Adventures in Metal!!!

#2 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Stories of my trip to the ortho and then some!

As soon as I checked out my new smile after getting rewired again (ouch!) I stood up to get ready to leave and for some strange reason all of the parents for the kids who were getting braces were watching me very intently...Ok, maybe I look younger than your 13 year old does naturally and the braces aren't helping any. But geez, do you have to stare at me :Questions:

The first thing I thought when I walked out of the Orthodontist's office was DON'T SMILE!!! What did I do? I tried my hardest not to but somehow I revealed my inner metal within. I went to the grocery store to get my first nights meal and lunch for the next couple of days. After waiting for 10 minutes at the deli counter for a woman who seemed to be hosting a dinner party for the Denver Broncos, to get her order filled I almost couldn't help but give the nice gentleman at the deli counter a hardcore stainless steel and teal grin. :shock: Oops.

He was so friendly and that half pound of deli meat looked like more than it did anywhere else I went. I'm a sucker for a good bargain :P
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

khrystal1968

#3 Post by khrystal1968 »

Welcome to the forum! I am looking forward to reading about your journey. Good luck!

sarahlynn

#4 Post by sarahlynn »

Welcome and congrats on starting your journey! I totally know what you mean when you felt like you were chewing like your grandpa's dog on your first day of braces - I felt the same way! I was eating dinner with my husband and had my head kinda tilted (as to somehow direct the food to the back molars or something stupid lol) and felt like I was chomping with my mouth wide open LOL. I remember thinking OMG how will I ever be able to eat in public again?! Luckily all of that goes away once you're used to all of the metal in your mouth :wink:
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

Grover

#5 Post by Grover »

Congrats on your braces. I love how you write!

jxds

#6 Post by jxds »

Welcome and congratulations!
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

HeyBuckey!

Response to Responses

#7 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Thank you all for your support! I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to return the appreciation!

Grover Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats on your braces. I love how you write!

Thanks Grover! I'm a closet poet/author. Next to drawing I love to write. I thought it would be best to get on the net and start some kind story of what I'm currently going through since no one in my inner circle can relate to my armoured mouth :D.

sarahlynn

LOL!!! The beauty of archwired.com!!! I don't have my molar bands yet and that definitely sums it up. Where are our manners? Chewing with our mouths open and smacking (well, at least I do anyway :)). Then trying to make a mad dash for the nearest restroom before letting anyone see whats lurking beneath the wire. It's the good life! How long did it take for you to get used to all of that metal? It's been only a week for me, I'm better with eating even though it takes me 10 times longer and I already eat slow as it is, but now my mouth feels very dry and I got this weird pucker thing going on no matter how much water I drink! It's kind of awkward. Thanks so much for posting!!!

khrystal1968 and jxds

Thanks for the welcome! I do indeed feel welcomed :).
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

Adventures in Metal!!!

#8 Post by HeyBuckey! »

I love that title :D .

There is something about braces that just makes life a little more interesting.

**ATTENTION** Children please do not try to recreate this stunt

Well, due to that occasional teething feeling I get, I decided to treat myself with a nice gum message last night...with a floss threader. That idea was worse than when I tried to eat that sandwich the first night with braces! :-+ Yup, after the floss wasn't cutting it, I decided to take the pokey end of my floss threader and stick it right in my gumline between my upper 2nd bicuspid and 1st molar.

Whew! It felt awesome! I was so glad that I got a chance to scratch that bugging gum! I examined my work. "Nice Job Buckey!" I thought to myself and proceeded to brush my teeth and go to bed. That is until I noticed a strange red spot on my lower second bicuspid. Uh-oh. I looked at my work site again. It was clean as could be. Until I brushed my tongue over the innermost part of my tooth...Needless to say, hopefully no one has passed out from flossing with vigor or "massaging" their gums.
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

More Adventures in Metal!!!

#9 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Yawning with braces can be brutal sometimes. I always have to readjust my mouth so I don't look like a total nitwit with my top lip tucked in my braces. I could really, really use a nap right now. :-Z

Anywho, last week I went to a party a few days after I got my braces. The family that hosted the party happened to have the most adorable Yellow Lab waiting in a room by the front door, the door to the room was glass *very nice* and closed. He squirmed happily when he saw us. I decided to go over and make stuff stuff noises at the dog and he did some more squirming, some scooting, and tail wagging. The owner informed us he would be free to roam the house later. So we all left the sad puppy hanging go eat, enjoy one anothers company, and to conversate more about my new Cadillac Grill. Steak and beef brisket were on the menu :jump: Hello brisket city!!! A food I can eat with minimal cutting and embarrasment. :thumbsup:

Anyhow...the doggy (named Cooper) is freed from solitaire confinement and is exuberantly running through the house bumping in to everybody and thing that gets in his path. I was so excited to see the ferocious beast so I ran outside with him to pet him. I must've looked like a 2nd grader chasing Cooper. I'm pretty sure someone saw that. :oops:

Well...young pup Cooper is scurrying around (might I add he's quite large) and scanning the ground for dropped steak bits. Usually when I make kissy noises at dogs they respond and come right over only this time there was a steel wall between me and the dog :paperbag:.

These doggone braces are relentless. *No pun intended*

I gave up after my third attempt and went back inside to wallow in my failure by inhaling a 4 layer piece of chocolate cake.

Who knew defeat could be so sweet...
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

Adventures in Metal!!!

#10 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Well, today's edition of Adventures in Metal presents an interactive dialog.

How did you break a bracket and what did you do to correct the problem?
That's right!!! The very last bracket on my left side popped right out Friday night :yikes:.

I had to pose the question
What did you do to correct the problem?
because for some reason, I was devising a plan to fix the bracket myself until today came. I didn't want this stinkin wire sticking in my gums or moving around when I brush and eat like it does. I eventually just stuck some wax on it and called it a night.
How did I do it?
Over vigorous flossing again... :oops:. It didn't seem that vigorous...at least until I tried to pull the floss out and it snagged on my hook. It took some of my tooth with it :x . Floss is the enemy! Maybe I should learn to be more careful :roll:.

The ortho's office wants to go over the proper flossing procedure when I get there today. I think I just need some different floss, but hey, it wouldn't hurt one bit to learn an easier technique to floss my back teeth. They are solid beasts when it comes to flossing! Steadfast, unmoveable, and with very limited space.
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

PrincessPeach

#11 Post by PrincessPeach »

I think, to save you from any future flossing casualties, you should invest in a waterpik :wink:

I love reading your blog, its an upbeat version which i like! Puts a fun twist for those up us braced up :lol:
Lower Braces = 22nd June 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (14 months, 1 week & 4 days)
Upper braces = 10th August 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (12 months, 3 weeks & 2 days)

HeyBuckey!

Many Thanks to PrincessPeach!!!

#12 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Thanks for dropping by PrincessPeach!!!

Please know and BELIEVE that I am definitely looking into a waterpik. After my gum "masssage" AND bracket popping episode, I am tired of the brick and mortar way of getting that unseen 35% of tooth surface clean. Donations are welcome :lol: Just kidding!!! But, suggestions on the better brands (and bargains - see first post) would be most appreciated.

I'm glad you like my entries! There are three reasons for my entries during this voyage:

1) I currently don't have a "working" digital camera so I am trying to make my experience as vivid and interesting as possible without pics :D. What better way than with humor?

2) It seems like something funny has happened every day since I've turned my mouth into a silverware drawer.

3) I was (and still am) excited about getting braces. The thing is, not everyone is as excited as I am (and was) so I figured, instead of delivering the doom and gloom, I'd laugh at myself to see if maybe someone else might want to laugh with me in light of our oral conditions :heart:.<<Getting all teary eyed and sentimental.

I hope I accomplish all of that and get a few others to lighten up as well.

By the way, it would be awesome if you got a Princess Peach avatar! 8)
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

#13 Post by HeyBuckey! »

P.S. - The bargain shopper post is the SECOND Post.
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

alibracket

#14 Post by alibracket »

lol i was a thumbsucker too- I dont know when i quit but it was around when i started going to sleepovers. Funny how much a little thumb in the mouth can do. I had buck teeth with my two front teeth flaring in two different directions. With certain lighting conditions it looked decent but i was always overly conscious.

but yeah i used to prance around the house with foil in my mouth pretending i had braces and was totally jealous of everyone in my school who had braces.

Im glad you finally found a good orthodontist and plan that works for you. Love your writing and keep it up. The first few months is when they move the most. ITs almost like sending your teeth to elementary school...they grow soo much.

HeyBuckey!

Response to Alibracket!!!

#15 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Welcome, welcome, welcome alibracket!

THUMBSUCKERS UNITE!!!

I really like that you are a fellow thumbsucker. That makes this posting even more interesting :wink:

Thanks for sharing!!! I can relate to just about every aspect of you comments except when the sleepovers came, I just pulled the blanket over my head and continued on...Hey! It was dark anyway! Also my whole top row protruded. I my thumb it took everything with it!
i used to prance around the house with foil in my mouth pretending i had braces
LOL!!! Reynold's Grill :D. I used to do that but I was imitating the rap superstars from the Cash Money Millionaires. :P

The beauty of my ortho is...he only checks the placement of my brackets! So awesome! You'll see more about that in a moment though :?. Even 13 days in I'm already seeing improvement. I have space in between my teeth on my left side which seems like a magic trick to me because my teeth are packed tight in there!

Thanks for posting again! I'll check out your story as well!!!
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009