First Time Getting Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nevercompromise2000

First Time Getting Braces

#1 Post by Nevercompromise2000 »

Hello all.....I'm new to this forum and also new to getting braces so I was hoping someone can give me some encouraging advice. I'm 43 and terrified of getting braces. Not because of the look but because of the unexpected pain. Can someone give me a little insight as to how painful this is really going to be. :?

Thanks
Nevercompromise2000

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi NC2000,

First of all welcome to AW and congrats on deciding to get braces! :-1

Secondly, getting your actually braces on doesn't hurt at all, really. Some people find the lip separators uncomfortable but I didn't have them, so I can say from personal experience. Also, I don't know if you require spacers(I didn't have them either)but apparently they are the worst part...compared to them, braces are a breeze! Once my braces were on, I felt pressure and my gums were kind of itchy but no real pain. I just took OTC pain meds(tylenol, advil, etc) if I got too uncomfortable and it only lasted for about three days.

Just remember: use wax on any brackets that are bothering you, keep hydrated, use warm salt water rinses and use lip balm. I found these helped me tremendously. :wink:

When are you getting braced? How long will you have them? Keep us posted! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Nevercompromise2000

#3 Post by Nevercompromise2000 »

Hello
Glad to hear I won't be in too much pain. :D I go on May 26th to do the X-Rays and the mold and on June 4th, the braces go on. That's if I don't chicken out.... I'ma really big baby when it comes to pain... :wink:

Nevercompromise2000

New to Braces

#4 Post by Nevercompromise2000 »

Hello all.. I'm about to get braced on June 4th and was wondering if I will be in too much pain to return back to work after the procedure is done? :soremouth: Also, I've heard stories about people having really bad headaches after they have been braced. Anyone else experienced this? I just want to know what to prepare myself for.. :(

Bekah

#5 Post by Bekah »

No Pain really! The worst part for me was that they felt really big in my mouth that day. I am 32 have metal on tops and bottoms and didn't really get a headache that day. I am prone to migraines so I thought for sure I would, but it really wasn't a problem! Like Jenny101101 said, wax wax wax. I love wax and should buy stock!!

I had the what the heck did I do moment the day they went on but 9 days later, I really don't notice them and haven't really had any problems other than a pokey wire that they clipped today.

No worries! It isn't that bad!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

Nevercompromise2000

#6 Post by Nevercompromise2000 »

Thank you for the reassurance! :wink: I also suffer from migranes so that was really a concern for me. Can you tell by now that I'm really a big baby when it comes to pain... :-((

Braced32

#7 Post by Braced32 »

Hi Nevercompromise2000 ~

Welcome! I hope you decide to go through with getting braced! Yes, there will be days of discomfort but it will be worth it in the end!

If it helps, I'm 32 and just got braced! It's never too late! Also, I am a self-diagnosed wimp, too! :lol:

On my brace day, I went to my dentist for a cleaning, then straight to the ortho for my lower braces and bite plate, and then immediately back to work. I had no pain or discomfort but I did have a VERY bad speech impediment from my bite plate! I was spraying my boss and coworkers with spit and could hardly talk clearly at all. They all found it very amusing! Me, not so much! :lol: It was so bad that for the first two days I had my boss make all my phone calls to bankers / borrowers! On the third day my boss just forewarned them that I had been out drinking all day so my speech is a little off! Ha ha! Very funny!

I would say you could go straight to work after being braced. I'm also planning to go straight to work after having my uppers braced next month.

02/04/08 Extractions (4 deciduous second molars & 1 wisdom tooth)

Nevercompromise2000

#8 Post by Nevercompromise2000 »

LOL!! Your boss has quite a sensor of humor!!! :lol: Bite plate?? Does everyone have to get that?

You think you a wimp....when I got a filling, my first question was "Is it gonna hurt"... :D I know I need to stop whimpering and just go ahead and get it done. I'm thinking of every excuse not to go through with it. Hopefully, I stick to the plan. Thanks for the info. :)

insinu8

#9 Post by insinu8 »

Congratulations on your decision to improve your smile and welcome to AW :)

I can assure you, you're not the only "sensitive" type around ;)

I'm 42 and getting braced at the end of May, so we'll be travel partners. I'll give you a blow by blow of how it goes for me if you'd like.

Just remember why you're doing it and you'll be amazed at how positive you can feel. I was quite scared and worried at first, but I'm so hyped up about getting mine on...I can hardly wait!

I hope you can find the positive aspects and overcome your fears.

Smile! :HugeGrin:
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

acd

#10 Post by acd »

I'm 40 and if I had known that there would be this little pain I would have gotten them years ago--like when I was a teenager and my parents would have paid for them. They day that you get them on your teeth will feel a little strange but as the days go by you'll get used to them. The only real discomfort comes at adjustments and that usually only lasts a day or so--take plenty of OTC pain medications and you'll be fine. The anticipation is much worse than what you'll actually go through. Good luck and focus on the end result.

mamakitty

#11 Post by mamakitty »

To be honest - don't stress about it. This forum has tonnes of helpful information about everyone's experiences and it helped me prepare for getting my braces on yesterday. I must say it was a breeze. I made sure I had popped a couple of advil pills beforehand and slapped on the lip balm. They put this annoying cheek separators on to open my mouth wide enough so they could work on my teeth. I just got metal Damons on my top teeth and I will be getting the bottom done in about 3 months time. Getting them on was not painful at all - my mouth and lips became very dry so I'm gla I had lip balm with me especially afterwards. i was even OK to drive home which took about 2 hours because there was an accident on the freeway. My husband also took me out to dinner that evening and I was worried I wouldn't be able to eat anything but they had risotto on the menu and I remember reading on this forum that it was OK to each it, so I did and it was OK. I didn't really chew but just let the food slide down my throat. Brushing that evening wasn't that bad either, it took a little practice trying to get the toothbrush around the braces but I think I cleaned it up very well. I've read a lot on this forum that chewing can be quite uncomfortable at first and being day 2 that's what I'm finding the most difficult to adjust with. So far I haven't eaten any foods which require me to chew or bite down on anything. I can definitely feel the discomfort when I press my top teeth with my tongue and occasionally I'll hit my top teeth with my bottom teeth. I'll be honest with you - it hurts, just like a toothache but with all of them. It feels really strange to smile and laugh but I guess I'll get used to it eventually. Tomorrow I'm going away for the weekend with my husband for a short break so that'll be interesting being away from my home comforts. Good luck with everything and just keep thinking of the end result (that's what kept me for stressing out about braces).

Bekah

#12 Post by Bekah »

You are getting Braced on my Birthday!!! I just noticed that!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

blzrul

Just Got Mine Today!

#13 Post by blzrul »

And I am 51 years old! UGH. My parents took me to the orthodontist when I was 12, and he was kinda "iffy" as to how badly I needed them. He said "well her mouth is so small I'd have to extract at least 4 teeth", so my parents figured what the heck.

But, your teeth shift during your lifetime. My front tooth went from a cute little overlap to a protrusion. I decided to suck it up. I first got assessed for Invisalign - not a candidate. So here I am with full metal mouth.

Process? First, extract the 4 teeth. During the extraction an adjacent tooth cracked. Tack on a crown. The spacers followed a week later, and I found them painful given I was missing teeth - I had nothing to chew with that didn't hurt!

Today the braces are on. This was NOTHING compared to was preceded it. My face is somewhat bunged up as my mouth is tiny and my ortho is not, but it'll be ok. It didn't hurt at all, just the normal discomfort of having your mouth stretched out. I took Tylenol before I went and I'm good.

I am sort of wondering now if I couldn't have lived with that protruding tooth ... because when I look in the mirror all I see is braces. However it wasn't just the front tooth, a few others were almost sideways and keeping them clean was hard. In fact, given another 20 years they might be worse to the point where I'd need dentures. So while I feel foolish I figure I'll get used to the braces just like I was used to my crooked teeth.

Also on the upside a friend told me of HER friend who got braces in her 40's or 50's and SHE lost 52 pounds because she found they restricted her eating. So perhaps I'll end up with a beautiful smile AND a few pounds lighter!