Lola's story.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lola

Lola's story.

#1 Postby Lola » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 am

Hi there everyone! I decided to start keeping a little diary here to keep track of my little braces journey!
Some of you know me already because I've been mooching around the site for a while, but for those who don't I'll introduce myself properly. I'm 22 years old, and have hated my teeth for as i can remember. My bottom teeth are pretty straight, as are my upper molars, but my canines cause a huge problem. They stick out so much that my lip is slightly raised by them, and they have a terrible habit of ruining photos of me!

I went to an orthodontist in November to enquire about Invisalign treatment. I was really excited when I discovered this method, as I am pretty vain/self-conscious and I had constantly put off fixing my teeth because traditional braces are so visable and I really didn't think I could deal with two years of it. Anyhow, of course, I wan't a candidate. I needed to have my two premolars extracted, and my ortho said Invisalign couldn't deal with extractions and the amount of space my teeth need to move. To cut a long story short, after much soul searching I compromised, and went for ceramic brackets.

Last Wednedsay evening I had my two upper premolars extacted. Not meaning to scare anyone, I found it pretty rough. After I was numbed, the dentist told me that my premolars were quite long, and so extraction may cause a space to open between my sinus and mouth. I nearly pulled out then and there! Luckily I was alreay numb and figured it was too late. He could get the first tooth out for ages and had to kepp taking a break. Then his assisstant had toth hold my head while he pulled at it. Although I wan not in pain, I could feel it being pulled and it was pretty stomach churning! Eventually it came out, and we started on the second.
The next few days were surprisingly easy. I wasn't in any pain and learned pretty quickly how to eat without touching the gaps.

Yesterday, I got my top braces on. It was surprisingly quick and painless. I thought I was getting top and bottom, but apparently the bottom don't need to go on yet as they are not as crooked, so that was a nice surprise. They don't look too bad but feel a bit odd in my mouth. I will admit I was a bit depressed yesterday after the whole ordeal but I'm feeling more positive this morning!

Anyway, will keep posting and trying to learn how to get a ticker and photos up etc. Best of luck to everyone else starting braces at the same time as me- Truly, if i can do it anyone can!

hannahwebbo

#2 Postby hannahwebbo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:19 am

Hi Lola,

I finally found your story.

Congratulations on getting your braces, i'm glad to hear your feeling abit more positive about the process. It wont be long until you stop worrying about them all together.

Sorry to hear that you had a bit of a rough ride with your extractions though, at least it is over and done with now.

Hope everything goes well and you will be back before you know it telling us how your first adjustment went, (the time really does fly by).

All the best

Hannah x

LynB

#3 Postby LynB » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:02 am

Lola, How is day 2 of having your braces? Any pain? What are you eating?

Lola

#4 Postby Lola » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:25 am

hi LynB! Day two was ok,but a little sore and today is the same. There are loads of wires running from my second premolars to my canines to pull them back but its so tender now that my front 6 teeth are out of action, as is the whole left side, so I can actually only chew on at right side at the back! It hasn't really stopped me eating though, although the food i have been eating is soft-ish (by which i mean not just yogurt-style soft but no really chewy or hard foods). Sadly however, there is a giant Toberone in my house which i can't touch... I had a moment of regret when I realised I couldn't bite into it!! :-((
My teeth still feel really odd, as it they have moved closer together rather than apart, and i am absolutely wishing my life away until I see movement which is not really a good way to be (especially afetr 2 days!!). Anyway, I am no where near as paranoid as i thought I would be which is a good thing. I actually find it quite funny that unlike many people here, my parents did have the money to pay for my braces when I was a child/teenager but I was the one who refused it because I thought I couldn't cope with how I looked... the lessons we learn!!

Lola

Day 4!

#5 Postby Lola » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:49 am

We have movement! I know it's only beeen three days but I am not joking. My second premolar on the right has been paining me the most since this whole thing started, making it hard to clean it with that funny little stick brush I got from my ortho as I keep hurting myself. I tried to floss it last night with normal floss to see if that might be better and the floss went straight down between my teeth with no resistance- I got such a fright I had to check to make sure I wasn't missing part of tooth! Since I am being treated for overcrowding this is a big deal- I couldn't floss any teeth before now without forcing it between the them, but this was easy! Of course, this is not visable to the naked eye but now that I know it's working I am pretty excited. (Excited about flossing!- Is this a new low for me?!?)
Anyway will keep you posted, wishing you all great movement!
xx

kittymeow84

#6 Postby kittymeow84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:04 am

Awesome that you have movement! Its so exciting isn't it?

Will we see pics soon of your teethies? :P
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

jenny101101

#7 Postby jenny101101 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Lola,

I figured I'd stop by your journal after you stopping by mine. :D Sounds like you started off rough with your extractions but sounds like you're doing good now. Congrats on the movement! :jump: It's only been a week for me but I swear mine have move just a little...exciting isn't it? Glad to hear you're doing better. Keep us updated!! :computer:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Lola

#8 Postby Lola » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:10 am

So, week 1 is officially over! I think I have settled in quite well so far. Over the weekend I stained my brackets (red wine :( ) but it's not visable unless you are very close so I'm not too worried.

Already I have noticed tiny gaps opening up between some of my teeth, most noticeably between one of my canines and the incisor. This canine, in fact, appears to have moved a lot already - I'm not sure if it is an optical illusion because the tooth behind it is missing, or beacause it is actually slotting into place. The left canine, or the "problem" tooth as i like to call it does not seem to have moved AT ALL. This is depressing me, as it is the one that is the most noticeable and the main reson I decided to have orthodontal work in the first place. I know it has only been a week, so I'm being optimistic looking for any movement at all, but I kind of hoped it would start straight away. It is joined to the next three teeth with three separate wires, so it's not as if there is not enough pressure on it!

One of my front teeth has moved out slightly, so now it's not in line with the other one. This is pretty scary for me, but since the teeth were slanting slightly up to the left I figure that they may move at different times in different ways. Am glad that my appointment is at the end of the month though (rather than 2 months away) so I can be reassured it all going to plan!

lionfish

#9 Postby lionfish » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 am

Hi lola,

Glad things are going well for you.

You've most likely stained the ligatures that hold the wire in place, not the brackets themselves.

Btw, I'm not sure your ticker is accurately reflecting your brace day.

Lola

#10 Postby Lola » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 am

I dopn't have ticker- i can't make one! Or at least its not showing up on my screen!

lionfish

#11 Postby lionfish » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Mmmm - that's interesting. This is what is showing at the bottom of your posts:

Braced 25/10/08
2 extractions, Ceramic uppers (bottom teeth to be done later), 18 months to go!

Lola

#12 Postby Lola » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:00 am

Oh sorry I thought you meant the little moving picture. Nope, 18 months is my total quote and I'm a week in (a week and a day actually :D ) so if all goes according to plan thats whats left!! Maybe that's not very clear tho... On that note, how does everyone else find how accuate the time given is? I am dreading being told that its all changed and its now 3 years or something.

jenny101101

#13 Postby jenny101101 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:04 am

Hi Lola,

To make a ticker just go to www.tickerfactory.com and then when you're done "designing" it( :P )it'll give you a bbCode that you can just copy and paste in your profile where you put a signature(like where you have your "homemade" count down). I hope that helps...I love having a ticker to count the days for me. I'm sure I'll lose count before the two years is up! lol

As far as how accurate ortho's are, I wouldn't get your hopes up. By what I've read here, quite a few ppl run over their expected debanding date. But every mouth is different and it just depends how the teeth are coming along closer to that time. I just got my tops on(bottoms next month) so I have no personal experience, just going on other's stories I've read.

As far as teeth movement, please dont' get discouraged! I'm on day 12 now and all I'm noticing is the gap between my two front teeth is every so slightly bigger. I know for some it takes months to see any noticable improvement and as far as your canine, it'll move when it's ready :thumbsup: .

Keep up that spirit and Keep smilin'!!! :tingrin:
Keep smilin'! :)

Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

SGPWired

#14 Postby SGPWired » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:34 am

Hang in there Lola!! Short of being obsessive, I do a teeth movement check too whenever I finish my nightly clean. I saw movement almost immediately and now I’m certain that it is occurring more gradually. I’m excited and sometimes the anticipation is grueling, but just like the turtle, slow and steady wins the race. :thumbsup:

Lola

#15 Postby Lola » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:26 am

YAY!!! How come it doesn't start at 18 Months? No worries anyway, its fab. (The snail is symbollic by the way!) Thaniks for your help with it- was feeling really left out!!!

Return to “Our Braces Stories”