New AND Painful

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Galler

New AND Painful

#1 Post by Galler »

Hi, I am a 20 year old that decided it was time that I get braces.
Today I had my 2 upper wisdom teeth pulled with local numb shots at 10am and so far the sockets feel like they are a burning/throbbing and are likely to be dry sockets,. I must tell you folks that I DON'T TAKE PAINKILLERS for any reason maybe only a alka-seltzer for stomach aches, other than that I'm going to go straight on with all the pain that I will encounter through my journey to get braces or at least use home remedies to dull the pain a tad.
Next week I'm getting my two lower wisdom teeth pulled as soon as my upper sockets heal.
So far this is my journey. I will update whenever I can. :)

LateStarter

#2 Post by LateStarter »

When are you getting your braces?

I can empathise with the wisdom tooth pain - I had all four of mine out at once quite a long time ago now, but I had a general anaesthetic. Unlike you, however, I was quite happy to take some very strong painkillers afterwards :D

Good luck with your treatment, I hope it all goes well for you :)

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I too can empathise with the wisdom tooth pain :( no way could I tough it out without painkillers though. I hope you're wrong about them turning into dry sockets. I understand that can be pretty painful.

Hope you soon feel better.

Galler

#4 Post by Galler »

Update: Today I have a bad throbbing pain in the upper right socket, the left one is perfectly fine: no pain whatsoever. I am pretty sure this is a dry socket. I have found that keeping the area clean and swishing with water gently makes the throbbing a little bit less noticeable, but it's still there the whole day nonetheless. I kind of wonder when the pain will entirely go away by itself. At least now I know what the pain is like and will handle having another dry socket without painkillers if I get one on my lower wisdom teeth when they get pulled. :P

LateStarter: I don't know when I'm going to get braces but I know that before I do I will need an expander to widen my arch(s) since I have bad crowding and smallish arches on both top and bottom.

ripchord

#5 Post by ripchord »

Aw, I'm sorry about your wisdom tooth removal being painful. I'm dreading the day I get them removed.

Welcome to the site, by the way, Galler :D

I try not to take pain killers as well. I feel like they're poisoning my system, but sometimes I crack. If you can stand the pain of extraction and dry sockets without pain killers, you can definitely endure braces.
Braced on January 5th, 2007
Debanded on April 2nd, 2009

Click www to see my story!

minlou01

#6 Post by minlou01 »

Best of luck with your extraction recovery Galler! I agree with KK that it doesn't sound like dry socket. When I had dry socket getting anything in the area was absolutely excruciating.

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Galler

#7 Post by Galler »

Thanks to everyone who have replied. You guys are right: It isn't a dry socket. FINALLY all the pain has fully gone away only with the help of one Advil pill crushed with juice a day ago. All I have to do is watch out for food particles getting stuck in the sockets. In three days I will have my lower right wisdom tooth pulled, which I have heard from my neighbor will be a lot less painful than having the top ones pulled..well at least I hope so. But the only thing that I am dreading is having my left lower wisdom tooth pulled on the 20th, since it is HORIZONTALLY positioned..I guess it's just an oddball.

enigmum

#8 Post by enigmum »

I was supposed to get all 4 of my wisdoms removed because they're impacted, although only the bottom two have erupted... so I was supposed to get them out but I was told it would be painful and I wouldn't be able to take any strong painkillers as I was pregnant! So I chickened out, and will be put under to get them all taken out after I give birth.

I had 5 healthy teeth removed 3 weeks ago (one was a retained baby tooth) and I had injections all in my mouth but getting them pulled out wasn't pleasant (especially hearing one of them crack!) and I didn't take anything for it afterwards even though I was told I could take panadol. I found the warm water salt rinses helped and I was worried I'd get an infection cuz I got a piece of peanut wedged in one of the sockets a few days later which took ages to dig out! Yuk. So yeah, I understand your predicament. Hehe. The things we do.

Beckalicious

The same happened to me!

#9 Post by Beckalicious »

Enigmum,
The same thing happened to me with my wisdom teeth. I needed them out when I was pregnant with my son, and the Oral Surgeon said it would be much better for him to knock me out to do them than it would be with a ton of local anesthetics. I'm glad I made that choice. Actually having my wisdom teeth wasn't nearly as painful as having the little one. I was only annoyed by my stitches and wanted them to disolve since I wanted normal food which was hard to chew after having my wisdom teeth. Did your's feel the same way or was your's quite painful. Luckily my Oral Surgeon gave me the prescriptions to have filled early to help with the pain and swelling so that it wouldn't hurt as bad and I wouldn't have chipmunk cheeks afterwords.
enigmum wrote:I was supposed to get all 4 of my wisdoms removed because they're impacted, although only the bottom two have erupted... so I was supposed to get them out but I was told it would be painful and I wouldn't be able to take any strong painkillers as I was pregnant! So I chickened out, and will be put under to get them all taken out after I give birth.

I had 5 healthy teeth removed 3 weeks ago (one was a retained baby tooth) and I had injections all in my mouth but getting them pulled out wasn't pleasant (especially hearing one of them crack!) and I didn't take anything for it afterwards even though I was told I could take panadol. I found the warm water salt rinses helped and I was worried I'd get an infection cuz I got a piece of peanut wedged in one of the sockets a few days later which took ages to dig out! Yuk. So yeah, I understand your predicament. Hehe. The things we do.

mottsrods

#10 Post by mottsrods »

I had my wisdon teeth taken out when I broke my jaw. They did it all in one go, and was very bad choice. My mouth was wired shut and I could only suck in fluids and food....I got dry socket in all four extraction sites.......and since my mouth was wired shut, I could do nothing about it and neither would the surgeon. He gave me more antibiotics and pain killers.........I actually quit smoking because of this........that was the only good thing that come from it.

Mott