LadyJ's story - B-DAY update and pics (pg.3)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kara

Good Luck to you!!

#31 Post by Kara »

Hey Lady J!

Hope all goes well today. My first day was a little strange. :) Wax will be your best friend. It's one of mine. :)

Take care!
Kara

missnomer

#32 Post by missnomer »

LadyJ;

How u feeling? Anxious to hear how everything went. Did they stretch your lips until they felt like there was no elasiticity left in them? I'm sure the brackets feel big and awkward right now but be assured in a few days the new sensation will be gone, the soreness abates and you will be giving advice to newbies.

I have damon metal brackets and have never had any problems with the little doors so I don't think you will have to worry about that.

Welcome to the club and try to enjoy the journey.

LadyJ

#33 Post by LadyJ »

Thanks everyone!!!!! :-#)

Didn't get a chance to sit down at the computer very long yesterday, so it's a little late but here's how it went down:

I showed up a couple minutes late for my 9 am appointment (oops!) but I'd called ahead so they knew I was coming. When I got there I followed advice and went to the bathroom first and then coated my lips with balm (Chapstick Moisturizing - I'm a fan).

I was tipped waaay back in the chair and she brushed my teeth with the pumice toothpaste and then I was told to go rinse. I was afraid to close my mouth, but it really didn't taste like anything, just gritty. Then it was back in the chair and the dreaded lip spreaders went in.

She dried my teeth with I swear a mini blow dryer, then painted the etchant on my bottom teeth. It didn't taste great, but I didn't get too much so it wasn't bad. Super sour/bitter/astringent, like strong vinegar. Then she put on some kind of "sealant", which smelled like a hair salon, or nail polish.

Then the indirect bonding tray was fitted to my lower arch, and she went over each bracket twice with the little blue light. She left the tray in place and repeated the process for my top arch. The bottom hard tray was peeled off and another round with the blue light, then the same for the top. The majority of the time was spent doing the blue light. At last she peeled the soft inner trays off and I was officially bonded.

At this point I got to get up and go rinse my mouth. I have to say, right off the bat I was impressed with the Damon brackets. I was expecting them to feel HUGE on my teeth, but even with the doors open they didn't. For the record, I got the "social six" (front upper six, or canine to canine) bonded with Damon 3s, the half-clear brackets, and the rest with all-metal Damon 3MXs.

Back in the chair again and the ortho took a look. I had to bite down to show where my top teeth were hitting the lower brackets (we knew that would be a problem). Then he told the tech where to bond some molar build-ups and it was more etchant, sealant, and then two blobs of stuff that she cured with the blue light, one on either

Finally my archwire fitting. I think I heard the ortho say 0.013 for my wire gauge. It is not the heat-activated kind of wire. She had to work a bit to get it engaged with my canines (no surprise) but eventually everything was locked in. A little tightness, but not too bad. What was most striking - even more so than the brackets alone - was how it felt like my top lip was being held so far out.

And that was it! I was given a bag of supplies and told what food not to eat (I've already broken that, but with due caution) and given prescriptions for "Magic Mouthwash" - no lie - and some kind of at-home nightly flouride treatment.

Oh, and my ortho went over my plan with me in more detail. In about 6 months I'll be getting elastics from my upper canines to my lower first molars to bring my lower jaw forward and open up my deep bite. And eventually my back molars will get brackets too (they didn't this time).

My next appointment is March 20th. I may get a new archwire then, if I've made enough progress. I read on the Damon website that 90% of alignment and leveling is done in the first 10 weeks, so here's hoping.

Now here are way more pics than you probably care about, but hey - it's my blog. *g*

My smile before, and now with braces:

A shot that shows more of my teeth/the convoluted archwire:

And a shot of my current propped-open bite:

My official b-day records of my arches, upper and lower. Note the blue molar buildups on the lower:

ImageImage

I met DH and Little Boy for lunch before heading to my afternoon spa appointment. First meal in braces: cheeseburger and fries, with a chocolate shake. I didn't even have to use a fork and knife! But the going was sloooooow and I got all sorts of stuff gommed up in the braces. Thank goodness for my DentaKit, which I broke in immediately after.

And I have to say, if you're an adult getting braces, following up your morning bonding appointment with an afternoon at the spa for a custom facial and 1-hour relaxation massage is the way to go! I pretty much forgot I had them. :wink:

My first day overall was very easy. Little to no pain (I did stay current on OTC painkillers, though, alternating between Advil and Tylenol) and aside from getting used to where the brackets snag my lips when I smile or open wide, I didn't even have to use wax.

Second meal in braces: pizza with mushrooms, and breadsticks. So much for the "braces diet"! Actually, I didn't eat much of the breadstick or any of the crust, and I eat so much slower I end up not eating as much. So there's that.

Before bed I used the WaterPik - a godsend - with the ortho attachment, then brushed my teeth with my trusty Vitality and the ortho heads (officially "Oral-B Braces Care Essentials") I got off eBay. Wonderful! My mouth felt better overall after that. Then I managed to floss, though it took quite a while, and followed all with a warm salt water rinse.

All in all, an easy beginning. I'll take it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by LadyJ on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

LadyJ

#34 Post by LadyJ »

And the follow-up from Day 2:

I still have had very little pain. I woke up this morning and couldn't even feel the braces until I thought about it. It got a little worse when I got up, but a couple Tylenol took care of that right away.

We all went to McDonald's for breakfast, and I ate pancakes and scrambled eggs and a hash brown (didn't tackle the sausage biscuit). I'm really losing all hope of losing weight because of these things. *sigh*

Lunch was the last slice of pizza from last night. At that point I could tell I hadn't taken any more painkillers since first thing in the morning, and I remedied that. But no biggie, really.

The worst soreness is at the points (upper and lower) where my molar buildups hit. Which makes sense, like the balls of your feet hurting in high-heeled shoes: all the pressure concentrated in a smaller area.

I'm learning to eat differently; how to chew without my molars meeting and doing a lot of mashing to the roof of my mouth. Also swallowing bigger chunks than usual. I'm slowly remembering to swish often with water - which has become a constant; I have a glass with every meal, no matter what else I'm drinking - to keep the food gomming to a minimum. The whole process takes longer and I get full sooner; if my food choices haven't changed much, at least I'll eat less at each meal.

I'm about to head to bed and still no real pain and no wax. Just the constant, dim ache that says "there's something going on here", especially in my front lowers (which are the most crowded). I seem to have adjusted to these braces very quickly. I'm not sure if it's the Damon brackets or just me...probably a little of both. Whatever reason, I'm glad of it.
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ

LadyJ

#35 Post by LadyJ »

Here I am at day 3... I broke down and put on wax this morning. My cheeks were starting to become more than just slightly irritated. Waxed my upper canines and first bicuspids, and my lower bicuspids (both).

Ahhh, sweet relief. :wink:

Other than that, though, I'm starting to not feel the braces anymore. My lips are even used to how far out the archwire holds them. There's just a residual soreness when I bite down (especially on the buildups), and my front lower incisors feel ever-so-slightly loose. Which is good! Things are on the move...

::UPDATE:: Things really are on the move - I looked in the mirror and I can see about a mm of archwire sticking out on either side of my lower back brackets.
Last edited by LadyJ on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ

EmbraceJCT

#36 Post by EmbraceJCT »

Hi LadyJ!

Sounds like you're adjusting amazingly to braces! I'm so impressed! I was braced two days before you and still am getting used to it. It's so great that you've had so little discomfort and that you're taking all the preventative measures to stay that way! Your teeth look fabulous in braces! Looking forward to watching your progress!

missnomer

#37 Post by missnomer »

WOW!

I think you are one of the lucky ones. Braces-no big deal. I think my first week was hard and my molar bands shredded my tongue. Sounds like this is going to be a realitively easier journey for you.

You teeth look good and I think you will be amazed at the quick change.

Congrats and keep us posted.

ilovemacs

#38 Post by ilovemacs »

LadyJ wrote:Here I am at day 3... I broke down and put on wax this morning.
I recall that I didn't use any wax until about day three either!! :jump:

I'm glad everything went well and everything is easy going so far! Good luck!! :D

kittymeow84

#39 Post by kittymeow84 »

OOoohhh looking good! Glad to hear the Damons dont feel too huge on your teeth. And also the lack of pain - fantastic! I hope all your treatment goes by without any suffering :D
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

kittymeow84

#40 Post by kittymeow84 »

Stoopid double post :oops:
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

Kara

#41 Post by Kara »

I'm jealous Lady J! My first week was painful I thought. That wax was my best friend! I've since gotten used to everything as far as the brackets rubbing on my lips and such on the inside of my mouth but eating is still a challenge for me. I'm still on the "braces diet" I guess but havent really lost any weight (bummer) but I have easier days than others. I still opt for the softer food and dream of sinking my teeth into a juicy steak. I hate eating bread! All that stuff getting stuck in my back brackets and under the wires is a pain in the butt to dig out of there. Those little brushes (they look like a miniature bottle brush... if you have kids... I guess it's easy to compare it to that) :) Those things are AWESOME! I use them everyday I think. Flossing is challenge but I'm getting better at it.

I'm so glad you're having an easy time adjusting to them. You wont believe how fast your teeth will move. Your teeth look similar to mine. I have taken pictures but my camera just sucks. I'm going to try to upload some tonight.

I look forward to your post. Good luck to you.

LadyJ

#42 Post by LadyJ »

Thanks, embrace, missnomer, ilovemacs, kittymeow, and Kara! :rose:

I do feel lucky that things have gone so smoothly. But I've also always been one with a high tolerance for pain, so I think that plays a big part. Today is my first day without wax or painkillers, so we'll see how it goes.

It still takes for-ev-er to eat, and I certainly favor softer foods, but at least I'm not on "mush only" hehe. I have developed the habit of biting my togue or pushing on the backs of my teeth to put pressure on them. It hurts but in such a way I keep on doing it.

My biggest annoyance is the brackets on my upper canines (which are slightly protrusive) always catching my lips. I'll be glad when they pull back into a smooth archform. Right now my lips are a little swollen and very pouty-looking. Angelina Jolie has nothing on me! ;-)

I've gotten pretty good at flossing, and I can accomplish it without threaders or anything now. Still takes a long time, though. Like Kara said, I'm loving the little interdental brushes. Bought one of the interchangeable ones with the long handle at Wal-Mart last night. WAY easier than the dinky little travel version my ortho gave me.

I keep imagining movement but after only 4 days I highly doubt it. We'll see where I am in a few weeks. :)

I'm so glad for all the support I've found on this board!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ

Kara

#43 Post by Kara »

LOL! Oh Lady J... I feel your pain. I told the dentist that I felt like Angelina as well. My lips looked huge for a while. You do get used to it.

My lips felt like they got caught on the brackets on my canines too when I'd talk or laugh. It does go away after a while. I'd say in a couple weeks... all those annoyances will go away and you'll be cool with it all.

I could see a noticable difference in my teeth after a month but I completely obsess over my teeth and I'm constantly looking at them or feeling on them with my tongue. I probably look stupid sitting in a public place licking all over my teeth but oh well. I guess it's become my new habit. :)

Kara

carolEEna

#44 Post by carolEEna »

I'm so glad it's going so good for you so far! Hope it continues that way too! :D

I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow once mine go on, but is it that you just feel your lips are bigger or are they actually bigger than what they were? Just curious cause I want to know what to expect tomorrow! :lol:

LadyJ

#45 Post by LadyJ »

carolEEna - Good luck tomorrow! I think my lips are actually bigger. Just a little swollen. And I've got a raw patch - not quite a sore - on my lower one near where some of the brackets rub. I'm all the time readjusting how my lips sit over the brackets, so consequently they're getting chapped. I bought like 5 things of various chapstick/lip balm and thought that would be plenty, but I'm burning through it. Keep them hydrated!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ