Not as bad as I thought

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

danyahc

Not as bad as I thought

#1 Post by danyahc »

Well it's now officially 24hrs since I had my braces put on. I chose the Damon brackets. It was those or the Ice Clear. Since I'm about to turn 30yrs old in December, the last thing I wanted was a mouth full of metal. In the end I went with the Damon because after doing plenty of my own research, I decided that anything less irritating to my mouth & offering a faster treatment time had to be the way to go. I had visions of myself looking in the mirror from the Ortho chair and seeing something similar to "Ugly Betty" ... but guess what, they don't look nearly as bad as I thought they would. Fortunately for the time being I only need them on the upper arch. My Ortho reckons it will be about 3 months before I get them on the bottom arch, phew! One is enough for now!! For me the worst part so far has been the spacers that went in between my teeth the week prior to my braces going on. They caused me lots of pain and I was grinding like mad. Apparently because my teeth are pretty crowded, (I have a small jaw), there was allot of contact with my back teeth, hence the reason it was so uncomfortable for me. My Ortho said I was one of the more difficult cases he'd had in trying to get the spacers in between my teeth (and out too!). Anyway, got my Damons on now, and like I said they don't look that bad, and they also don't hurt as much as I thought. I can definitely notice the sensitivity in my teeth, especially the two front ones, but so far - touch wood - I haven't had any head aches or jaw aches. I took some pain killers as soon as I returned to work (neurofen plus), and then again before bed last night. I woke expecting a throbbing headache, and found that I was okay apart from a very dry mouth! I have taken another two pain killers as a preventative measure. I must say though the ortho wax has come in a treat. I started using it from the moment I got home yesterday. I can already feel certain parts inside mouth getting rubbed a little bit too much for my liking ... like the inside of my cheek next to the last brackets on both side (bottom jaw). Even though I only had the top jaw fitted with the braces, my Ortho put the metal rings around the back teeth on the bottom as well. He figured we may as well while we were there. The other place it is rubbing a bit is on the inside of my top lip where the brackets are on my 3rd teeth back both sides. I put some wax on there last night, but this morning I had to take my cat to the vet and I didn't really want big waxy blobs sticking out of my mouth so I haven't put any on today. Maybe I'll over come the vanity and smother my entire arch in wax if it keeps rubbing! :lol: Other than that things aren't too bad. I must admit I really did expect the worse, especially after the spacers caused me so much grief. Perhaps that was a good thing. I think one of the biggest challenges will be eating. Last night I figured for dinner that before it got too painful I would make fettuccine with salmon, rocket leaves and fetta. I couldn't bare the thought of soup every day. So anyway I sat down to eat it and from the first mouth full I found myself struggling! Without meaning to sound too gross, I had the pasta sliding around under my wire (and getting stuck), and the rocket was way to complicated to chew, it too kept getting stuck in my wire! In the end I picked all the rocket leaves out of the bowl and tried to take small mouth fulls of the pasta. I think I swallowed most of the past whole, and I ended up slowly and carefully chewing the salmon and yummy fetta cheese. What a nightmare though .... I was horrified at the mess in my mouth afterwards when I went to brush my teeth! Far out ... I definitely won't be eating in public for a while. Not until I get some more practice at home first! Anyway I rinsed with water about 4 times before brushing, and still had bits and pieces in my braces! Thank goodness for my soft brush and my inter proximal brush (think that's what they call them). I used the super floss afterwards too. Speaking of which, this morning when I tried to floss, that's when I really noticed the sensitivity in my front teeth. I could barely get the floss in between them. They already seemed to be pushed close together, and I found that putting any pressure on them made them feel bruised. It was a weird sensation. I now understand when they refer to feeling like you have been punched in the mouth ... although it feels more like a bit of a wack to me and not as full on as being punched. So anyway it should be interesting to see how things progress from here. I have been told to expect the absolute worst for week 1, so even though things aren't nearly as drastic as I imagined they would be now, I am still bracing myself (haa haa, sorry bad joke) for things to get worse. :roll:

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Dany

Glad to hear you got off to a good start. The water swishing really does help with removing food. May I suggest that you break your post into paragraphs (hope you don't think I'm being rude) as it makes it easier to read.

Pretty soon you won't even notice your brace is there.

Good luck

Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

danyahc

Okay .. did I say not as bad as I thought?!?!

#3 Post by danyahc »

Hmmm ... may have spoken to soon there! :roll:

It's now been 3 days and I can officially say Ok my mouth hurts now! Those pesky little ulsers are trying to pop up where ever they can. Today has been pretty hard. They seem to be all around the inside of my cheeks and under my top lip where the braces rest. I've also got a few abrasions which feel like little cuts along the sides of my tongue! Ouch!! Eating has is still an art form I am trying to master .. I seem to be constantly starving! Arrggggghh....

Thanks for your tips Karen, especially about the water. I have been making an extra effort to drink more and keep a bottle with me all the time. I have also been using my wax and rinsing with some anesthetic mouth wash from the pharmacy.

My mom lives in the USA, so I've asked her if she'll mail me some Zilactin-B or something similar. I can't find anything like that here in Oz. The best I have found is a gel similar to what you use on babies where they're teething, but it doesn't give a protective layer, it just numbs the gum for a while.

Anyway, enough whining ... it could be worse I know. In some respects I do agree with you Ken, it probably would have been a good thing to get the top and bottom on at the same time so that I only go through the transition phase once, however unfortunately that's outta my control, so I guess I'll just use the experience to make me stronger .. (I hope :shock: ).

I've gotta say, it's so comforting to know there are so many other people going though the same thing, and it's awesome that you guys are so supportive and willing to give me tips to help me along, thanks :D

Notice this is in paragraphs Jonesy ... good suggestion!

Well shall see what the rest of the week brings. If anyone has any cool recipes or food suggestions that are easy and tasty please post them for me, I'm starving!! :)

Over and out ..

Chloe1

#4 Post by Chloe1 »

You poor thing! It took about a week for me to become adjusted. The tooth pain actually went away before my cheeks got tough. There was one day when I truly just wanted to leave work and cry because my whole mouth felt like it was on fire from all the little chewed up and ulcerated spots. I think I just went home and drank white wine and cried. I also had some creamy pasta that coated my mouth and I deliberately defied instructions and didn't brush before I went to bed exhausted. The next day I was much better :) I still credit the cream sauce for healing my mouth overnight :D

Having stuff slide around in the braces is sort of creepy!!!! You will get used to eating. I lost three pounds the first week and started to get scared that I would just keep dropping weight - it's tough to work out when you have no energy. But that too went away and I've gained it back!!! :tingrin:

danyahc

#5 Post by danyahc »

:-1 Chloe1 you sooo know what I'm talking about don't you! With any luck I'll feel much better after the first week too. Being the Aussie that I am I drowned my sorrows with an ice cold beer last night :-88 Not a big drinker by any means, but it went down a treat!

My ortho's receptionist phoned me this morning to see how I'm going and said that so far my progress sounded normal. They've asked me to come in tomorrow in my lunch break so they can just double check the metal bands on my molars as these seem to be causing me the most discomfort, continually cutting the sides of my tongue :cry:

Had a yummy spinach & fetta triangle for lunch today. I made sure it was nice and warm so that the pastry was super soft .... full now :D

One of my friends also wears braces, so she's also been a great support. Just like you suggested Karen, she told me yesterday to do the salt water rinsing too. In addition she told me to stop talking! :shock:

Looks like I'll have them on for a total of about 2 years (maybe more). I meet with my orthognathic surgeon on 6 December for a consult. I will most likely be having some form of lower jaw surgery to correct an assymetry which I hate! I also suffer badly from TMJ and facial pain. My mom said that grinding runs in our family ... Joy!

Shall check out the recipes here and see if I can be enticed ... :jump:

Chloe1

#6 Post by Chloe1 »

You will be shocked at what you will be able to eat in a couple of weeks. It seems so permanent and debilitating at first. The first week is a distant memory for me now :) Good luck with the molar band. Mouth pain is no fun!!!!

danyahc

#7 Post by danyahc »

Well I am finally over the hurdle of the 1st week! Made it .... phew! :thumbsup:

It's amazing how different I'm feeling already. I haven't needed my wax in 3 days, and the sensitivity in my teeth has reduced considerably, especially the back teeth, as they no longer feel bruised when I chew.

I find that if I'm dehydrated and my mouth is dry or I don't wear lip gloss, then sometimes the brackets can irritate my top lip a little, but it's usually only if I've been talking for a while, and is easily fixed by drinking some water or putting on lip gloss :D

Getting the cleats removed from the bottom left hand side molar band was the best thing I could have done. Instant relief :-* I had no idea that so many other people had done this also, and initially I didn't even know it was possible to remove them.

I think things are definitely on the up and up from here ... yaaaaaaaay!!

Thank you to each of you who has written to me with advice and words of comfort and support, I really appreciate it. It makes me feel a part of something bigger and it's a nice feeling.

Once I'm able to post photos I'll probably do so. In the meantime though I'll continue using the site as a valuable support and information tool, and look forward to hearing everyone else's progress too. :banana: