Bratsche's Braces!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bratsche

Bratsche's Braces!

#1 Post by bratsche »

Well, ok, I guess the subject's a little misleading for now since the braces aren't actually in yet, but I've already extracted my 2 first premolars on the left, so I'm in for the long haul now :?

I'm 28 now, I'd been wanting to have my teeth straightened for a good long time but never got round to it for a few different reasons. As a teenager my parents couldn't afford it, and when I first started working I was hesitant to go ahead with the extractions, which my consults said I needed because I have small jaws (not to mention it's still rather expensive). A few months ago I finally decided it was time to just do it, so, made the appointments and everything. Even then, up until the extractions two days ago I was still having fleeting thoughts of not going through with it... it's kind of freaky thinking about taking out healthy teeth, as everyone says. All the same, now I think the thinking is much worse than the doing and I wish I had just done it earlier...

Those first two extractions were 2 days ago, and went really very easily, the best that I could have hoped for. My dentist's needle technique must either be really good, or my nerves not very sensitive, because I didn't even feel the needle go in on the lower jaw. On the upper jaw I just felt a couple of pinpricks, and that was it. My teeth gave up the ghost in about 10 seconds each, lots of pressure but absolutely no pain. I read somewhere that this is because the lidocaine deadens only the nerves the transmit pain, not the ones that transmit pressure (they're different, apparently). Getting braces is so educational!

Since then I've been fretting rather a lot about possibly getting dry socket. There's some whitish substance in the lower socket, but it doesn't look like bone; I've read from a few places that it might just be the dead stuff being sloughed off so I'm trying not to worry too much. On the first day I didn't even dare to drink water for fear that the liquid would dislodge the blood clot... but you really can't go without fluids without becoming rather miserable, so. Sigh. I wish there were somewhere with pix of what is considered a healthy healing socket... I'm still going in there with a mirror like every 2 minutes to see how it's going haha.

Anyhow, this to repeat all over again next week when the right first premolars are taken out. I just wish it were all over and done with!

I also had 8 spacers in, around each of the first molars. They were pretty ok at first, but are now getting more pesky and achey; it's really hard to chew. In between the extractions and the spacers, I'm eating a lot less now :( Might be a good thing in the long run? Next week the molar bands go in, and week after that, the braces!

I'm opting to go with just normal metal braces. Considered the self-ligating and the ceramic kinds, but my ortho said he didn't feel the self-ligating ones made much of a difference, and the ceramic ones generally took longer. So, time to think about what colour ligatures I want for my very first set now. I'm leaning towards dark blue. Prognosis is for 2-3 years, so I'm quite sure I'll go through many colours.

Ok, that's it for now! Another update after the second set of extractions :) And prob some pix when I've figured out where to put them.

METALMOUTHPOOH

#2 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

Hello and welcome :wink:

U will love this site :-1

I am over 1 month in and the worst part to me was the spacers :-+

Post pictures and keep taking them weekly u will be amazed how fast it changes :lol:

timewaster

#3 Post by timewaster »

Welcome Bratsche! Great that you're getting started!

RE: White stuff in extraction site

Make sure you are rinsing your mouth out well after brushing. The white stuff is probably just a piece of food. I recommend doing salt water rinses after every meal for the first week. This helps keep your mouth clean and aids in healing.

Also, you can rinse more and more vigorously as each day passes. At first I was terrified of dry socket as you are, but after a few days you have to suck it up and get more aggressive. I found that if I didn't rinse more vigorously, my breath would become very unpleasant within minutes of brushing...you have to keep those wounds clean!

Good luck!

bratsche

#4 Post by bratsche »

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Always easier to know you're not the only person dealing with these things. If the spacers really are the worst part of this whole thing, I think I'll be able to deal with the rest quite easily! They haven't been bad so far, though chewing is difficult and almost impossible on the side with the extractions. But as with all this stuff I'm sure it will pass in a few days or a week.

Now just looking forward to getting the second set of extractions finished!

bratsche

#5 Post by bratsche »

Thanks for all the advice! I'm still having a dull ache around the lower extraction site (it's the end of the 3rd day now). Wonder if this is considered normal post-extraction pain? I wouldn't call it severe, so I suppose it's unlikely to be dry socket. :?

Oh I really wish I wasn't so paranoid about it. :| Blame it all on reading too much on the web! My dentist didn't even mention the possibility of it, actually. In any case, as the days pass I'm finding that things slip my mind! Like yesterday I found myself drinking iced tea through a straw (I just forgot). And this morning I sneezed without thinking about it. As it happens it was the only thing that could dislodge the food stuck in my lower socket (no amount of swishing would move it, and I didn't want to stick something in there to dislodge it).

Anyhow, finally figured out the photos.

Front view of it all as of my first consult:

Before:

Now after left premolar extractions:

I'm thinking dark blue ligs now. Surely they must be anything-proof (if also rather conspicuous :P

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

You're lucky you got two two appointments for your premolar extractions. My brother is my OS and he took out all at once, then told me not to be a baby about the chromic sutures. When I finally had my 1 wisdom tooth out, I whined so much he used a thinner suture. The ache is probably ghost pain. :D If it gets worse and otc pain killers don't help, you might want to give your OS a call. Don't forget to keep your mouth clean and well hydrated. A dry mouth might make the extractions sites a little uncomfortable.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

bratsche

#7 Post by bratsche »

Must be odd having your brother pull your teeth out! I don't think I could have survived taking everything out at once... eek! It's really hard to eat as it is.

I do hope it's just ghost pain, but I'm starting to wonder if it's some other kind of infection. This morning with the help of a toothpick I got some of the junk out of the socket, and it looked suspiciously like pus, which you're not supposed to see with dry socket. And the pain goes away with ibuprofen. Still wondering whether to head in to the dentist's or not. :?

One of my separators fell out this morning during brushing... managed to put it back with the help of floss, but just hope it won't fall out again. And another separator is still in but seems to be broken. Maybe I should stick to a manual toothbrush until the separators are out. :)

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

You might want to up your warm saltwater rinses to help rid whatever is brewing in those sockets. Probably want to rinse every hour and keep yourself hydrated with tons of water. Luckily you got that spacer back in.

I like that my brother is my OS because I can convince him not to put me to sleep and I get special treatment from the girls. Plus, I know he won't BS me about anything, he's very blunt with me, no sugar coating what so ever.

Also!!! I have a spacer too! It bugged me the first day but now it doesn't feel like anything. I'm just glad it didn't fall out when I was chewing gum and eating some sticky rice cakes. I go in Tuesday for one molar band, I'm kind of nervous, the thought of a tooth covered in metal worries my taste buds.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

bratsche

#9 Post by bratsche »

Ok, the other 2 premolars are out. Painless and quite quick. Now to just wait for the healing process to do its thing.

Dentist says my extraction wounds are actually healing nicely. The pain could be because the teeth around that area were very closely crowded together, and so when the tooth was taken out there was a bit more bruising. Well I have another week of painkillers!

Sigh it seems that the broken spacer didn't create enough space. So my ortho could only get in 3 molar bands today, and he says for the last molar he's just going to glue the bracket on instead of making me come in another day for another band. Hopefully that will work ok.

The bands feel huge... I think things in your mouth just tend to feel bigger than they really are. I got dental wax too but I'm hoping that I won't get too many canker sores or anything; I'm usually not very prone to them but I guess you never know.

*cross fingers*

bratsche

#10 Post by bratsche »

Arrrrrgh the cleats on the inside of the lower molar band are killing my tongue. It's ok in between meals because I can dob dental wax on them, but when I'm eating they come off and then every swallow is painful...

:(

hannahwebbo

#11 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Bratsche.

Glad that your extractions went well and that you didnt end up with dry socket. Ive got mine to look forward to soon. Ill be having my four premolars out. Not sure if they will all come out in the same appointment yet.

Sorry to hear your getting pain from your molar bands. Hopefully the inside of your mouth will toughen up soon.

Hope your brace day goes well.
Good luck

Hannah x

bratsche

#12 Post by bratsche »

Thanks!

Good luck with those extractions! I know it's hard to actually do, but it's best not to worry about them because most of the time they really are pretty straightforward. I would recommend 2 by 2 at least a week apart because at least you can still chew on one side and eat quite normally throughout without worrying about food getting into the empty sockets and possibly hampering the healing process.

danish

Re: Bratsche's Braces!

#13 Post by danish »

bratsche wrote:Well, ok, I guess the subject's a little misleading for now since the braces aren't actually in yet, but I've already extracted my 2 first premolars on the left, so I'm in for the long haul now :?

I'm 28 now, I'd been wanting to have my teeth straightened for a good long time but never got round to it for a few different reasons. As a teenager my parents couldn't afford it, and when I first started working I was hesitant to go ahead with the extractions, which my consults said I needed because I have small jaws (not to mention it's still rather expensive). A few months ago I finally decided it was time to just do it, so, made the appointments and everything. Even then, up until the extractions two days ago I was still having fleeting thoughts of not going through with it... it's kind of freaky thinking about taking out healthy teeth, as everyone says. All the same, now I think the thinking is much worse than the doing and I wish I had just done it earlier...

Those first two extractions were 2 days ago, and went really very easily, the best that I could have hoped for. My dentist's needle technique must either be really good, or my nerves not very sensitive, because I didn't even feel the needle go in on the lower jaw. On the upper jaw I just felt a couple of pinpricks, and that was it. My teeth gave up the ghost in about 10 seconds each, lots of pressure but absolutely no pain. I read somewhere that this is because the lidocaine deadens only the nerves the transmit pain, not the ones that transmit pressure (they're different, apparently). Getting braces is so educational!

Since then I've been fretting rather a lot about possibly getting dry socket. There's some whitish substance in the lower socket, but it doesn't look like bone; I've read from a few places that it might just be the dead stuff being sloughed off so I'm trying not to worry too much. On the first day I didn't even dare to drink water for fear that the liquid would dislodge the blood clot... but you really can't go without fluids without becoming rather miserable, so. Sigh. I wish there were somewhere with pix of what is considered a healthy healing socket... I'm still going in there with a mirror like every 2 minutes to see how it's going haha.

Anyhow, this to repeat all over again next week when the right first premolars are taken out. I just wish it were all over and done with!

I also had 8 spacers in, around each of the first molars. They were pretty ok at first, but are now getting more pesky and achey; it's really hard to chew. In between the extractions and the spacers, I'm eating a lot less now :( Might be a good thing in the long run? Next week the molar bands go in, and week after that, the braces!

I'm opting to go with just normal metal braces. Considered the self-ligating and the ceramic kinds, but my ortho said he didn't feel the self-ligating ones made much of a difference, and the ceramic ones generally took longer. So, time to think about what colour ligatures I want for my very first set now. I'm leaning towards dark blue. Prognosis is for 2-3 years, so I'm quite sure I'll go through many colours.

Ok, that's it for now! Another update after the second set of extractions :) And prob some pix when I've figured out where to put them.
Welcome to the club, Bratsche :)
I know what you are going through (I'm only a few weeks ahead of you in the process). Tooth extraction was the worst part. For me at least. I had to undergo surgery in 2 out of 4 extractions because the root of the tooth broke off under the extraction process. Getting braces itself is not painful. Your teeth will probably be tender afterwards but that should be all. At least it is for me.

Danish :)

bratsche

#14 Post by bratsche »

Tomorrow is Brace Day!

Just a few looks tonight at my teeth. For the last time!

By bratsche

danish

#15 Post by danish »

the "before" picture :wink: Welcome to the club!

Danish