Teeth Wired for Sound - Clover's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clover

Teeth Wired for Sound - Clover's Story

#1 Post by Clover »

I'm completely excited and chuffed with myself. Never mind the teeth, I managed to get a couple of pics from my mobile onto photobucket all by myself! I feel such a glow of achievement. Anyway, I digress, back to the teeth.
I lived with the charming mouthfull pictured below for 25 years before deciding to do something about it. My general dentist tried to tame my sticky out tooth with an extraction and removable brace when I was 15, which was an overwhelming failure. Least said about that fiasco the better. Anyway, I kept meaning to do something about my teeth, cancelled two orthodontic appointments then finally went through with a consultation when I was 25.
So there I was, lying back in the chair full of anticipation and determination that this time I will go ahead and get the little blighters sorted. The ortho smiled, stuck a ruler in my mouth (?) and smiled a little more. I think he was trying to prepare me for the bombshell, bless him. You have a 9mm overbite, he announced (I think he was quite impressed). Completely blank expression from me. Yes avid reader, I had got to the age of 25 without knowing what an overbite was. You'd think someone might have mentioned it to me, 9 mm is kind of in your face, but no. The ortho very kindly explained it to me, and gave me three treatment options. Lose two upper biscupids and have my upper teeth pushed back, reducing the overbite to 5 mm, straighten the teeth and ignore the bite or have lower jaw surgery. Jaw surgery, I said, what do you mean? Kind ortho explains that my jaw would be surgically broken and moved into a new position. Ah. I could feel my happy determination drain from me, I think I'll just leave my teeth as they are thank you very much.
Fast forward a couple of years later when my teeth, bite and everything associated really started to bother me. I thought I'd better at least find out what this jaw surgery thing was going to cost me, so back I trotted to kind ortho, who explained that I was eligible for treatment on the NHS. I was referred and got an appointment in a few weeks, this time with scary lady ortho. The good news was I could have my treatment free on the NHS - braces, surgery the whole shebang. The bad news was I couldn't have ceramics. This disturbed my vanity somewhat, and I retired to think about it, armed with an appointment for a joint clinic with scary ortho and the surgeon.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc28 ... 6_1926.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc28 ... e00w-1.jpg

Clover

#2 Post by Clover »

Have you ever had a vision in your mind about what someone will look like? I had an image of my surgeon being a dark haired bloke in his forties, with dodgy facial hair, so I was completely unprepared for the dream that awaited me in scary orthos office. This guy looks like he should be on ER, scary ortho was a bit flustered, can't say I blame her. I made a mental note to check thoroughly for nasal hair before my next visit.
Full records were taken at my first consult with scary ortho (SO), and I must admit my first sight of those models and x-rays were a shock. You can really see the problem I have with my lower jaw, I'll try and get hold of a copy to post. To cut to the chase, I needed a couple of teeth removed from the bottom, full braces for 30 months then lower jaw advancement. Hunky surgeon (HS) is a lovely man who really put me at ease. He was totally honest about the associated risks, and answered all my questions patiently. I could feel my happy determination flooding back. I was going to do this, I was incredibly lucky to have the chance.
Fast forward eight weeks to brace day. SO had explained that I'd just have uppers to start with, otherwise I'd just bite the lowers off. I'd already had spacers for a week and found them quite uncomfortable, but they really have been the "worst" part of the journey so far. I was so nervous I didn't sleep well the night before, then, disaster, I ended up being 15 minutes for my appointment. I couldn't find a parking space, nightmare, I thought SO would flip. As it turns out SO is not scary at all, she is absolutely wonderful, and couldn't have been any nicer about my tardiness. She could see how uptight I was and did her best to calm me, I think she came across as scary before as she was "vetting" me as a patient. With NHS treatment being free, she perhaps has a problem with patients remaining motivated.
I guess I had some achiness that first week or so of having braces, but I really can't remember how it felt. My full metal smile didnt look as bad as I'd thought, and I felt elated that I'd finally done it. I was initially worried about what people would think, now I couldn't give a monkey's. Honestly, the biggest nuisance for me is keeping the little blighters clean.

flesh-was-sweet

#3 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Hi Clover!

Congrats on starting your braces treatment!

I have the same jaw problem but decided just to go with braces, I think my overbite is at 3mm so I'll live with it for now :)

Your pictures are great!

Best of luck with your treatment!

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

So....SO isn't so scary afterall! Sounds like a great relief to you! Welcome to the boards and hopefully this journey is a good one. Well the result will be well worth it.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Clover

#5 Post by Clover »

Thanks for the comments and kind wishes - much appreciated :wink:

Karen - I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm due to see my ortho and surgeon next Tuesday, so hopefully they'll give me an idea of when it will be done.

So, to continue, I've had my top arch bonded since last September, and my lowers went on in March. Last November I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed, as it was impacted and my surgeon wanted it out of the way before surgery. He also removed my lower left first molar while he was at it. That paticular tooth was root treated and capped, so he and my ortho thought it would be better to take it out rather than remove my healthy left wisdom tooth. The plan is to move the second molar and wisdom tooth into the space, but it's been slow progress so far. I'm convinced it's not moving, the wire has been attached to the second molar for four months, but it hasn't really budged. My ortho seemed perturbed about something during my adjustment last week, she's never been like that before. I'm wondering if it's the space that's worrying her, and she did pop a power chain on. I would have asked, but I knew I was seeing her again on the 23rd and we'll have more time for a cosy chat then.
Over the past year my adjustments have been quite far apart, and nothing more exciting than a few wire changes has happened, so I've left it until now to tell my story. Reading the surgery experiences of others has really helped me, so I intend to document my own surgical journey. I'm now in my surgical wires (gulp) and it's all seeming a bit real. I've taken to waking up at 5 am, worrying about it for several minutes, then going back to sleep. I don't really think about it during the day, I'm too busy getting on with things, so I must be dreaming about it or something. I suppose it's normal to be anxious.
I'll pop back on with some up to date photos of my bite, and to write about my consult with the surgeon. Thanks for reading :D

Clover

Clover's Surgical Consult

#6 Post by Clover »

I saw my surgeon and ortho at a joint clinic today, and I'm apparently almost ready for surgery. I have to go back in December and hopefully get a date, why they couldn't have just given me a rough date today is anyone's guess.
He said my lower advancement will be about 5mm, probably no splint or tight bands, liquids for a few days, soft chew thereafter and normal diet after about 6 weeks. My risk of permanent numbness with him is less than 5%, he doesn't like arnica but doesn't object to vitamins and supplements. He said my surgery would be about 2 and a half hours long, and that I would have a catheter for 12 hours (absolutely no way is that happening, but I'll argue about that later). I had another x-ray and some photos taken, and everything looks fine. All fantastic news really, I'm fortunate to be in this position. So why do I feel so wound up, why am I thinking of not going ahead.
My consultation was attended by my ortho, her nurse and my surgeon, plus 3 other people whom I've never met before. All 6 were staring at me ike I was an exhibit in a zoo, and I have never been so patronised in my entire life, especially by my surgeon. By the time I left I was fizzing. I really liked my surgeon the first time I met him, but the people in that room, with the exeption of my ortho, spoke to me like I was 5 years old. I really don't want to do this anymore, I feel like I'm putting myself at the mercy of someone who has no respect for me. My surgeon told me my results were going to be fantastic, blah, blah, and I said I didn't think I'd like it. I think my chin is going to look too big, but I don't particularly like how my chin looks now so I'm not bothered either way. As long as my bite is functional I'll be happy. I then had to endure "assurances" of how I would like it, it would look really nice, blah, blah. I know you're probably reading this thinking that's a good thing for them to say, but I wish you'd heard the way they said it. I didn't want a cosmetic surgery consult, in my opinion my face is OK as it is, and I'm not doing this for cosmetic reasons. It got my back up a bit when they all acted like that should be my only concern.
Anyway, I'll give it some thought and see how I feel. Sorry to come on and rant like this, I just wanted to be honest about how I felt. Thanks for reading :)

Clover

#7 Post by Clover »

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply. That's really good advice you've given me, by all accounts he is a brilliant surgeon and I'm going to try and focus on that. To be fair, I was probably coming across as a wee bit defensive, because I had all these people staring at me and I was a bag of nerves. I'm going to try and be charm personified when I next see him on December 18th, and see if I can get a bit of a rapport going.
Catheters aren't without risk, and it's not a risk I'm prepared to accept for a two and a half hour op, I don't see how it's necessary. It's the anaesthetist who wants the catheter, not the surgeon, so I'll try and speak to her sooner about it rather than later. I'm not having anything attached that I can't remove myself, so I can leap out of bed and run :lol: . I'm terrified of hospitals.
We didn't go into the Arnica in great detail yesterday Karen, although he did say I was free to argue my point and try and convince him if it' important to me. I'm planning to get some more info from people on the board, so thanks for your contribution and I'll let you know what he says when I bring it up on December 18th.
My ortho is brilliant, and I think I will mention my misgivings when I see her next. I have an appointment on November 8th, and she mentioned something about elastics. Exciting stuff! :D