Here we go....AGAIN!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lyssa

Here we go....AGAIN!

#1 Post by Lyssa »

Well, I never thought I would be sitting here telling my story to people who would actually listen! I have been going through treatment on and off since I was about 10 years old. I am a sever Class 3 malocclusion case. Have been through expanders, braces, and head gear before; so going into braces again I thought this would be no big deal! I had my new set put on Sept. 20th and it has been a very interesting experience thus far. I have clear ceramics on the upper and traditional metal brackets on the lower. I am very thankful I have the opportunity to fix my bite and teeth, but I am hoping this pain will subside enough for me to eat. My ortho is estimating treatment time to be about 20-24 months. If things are not progressing they way Doc likes, she will recommend jaw surgery to fix my bite. I am hoping that route will not be neccessary! I will keep updating my journey! THANKS!!!

nerdgirl

#2 Post by nerdgirl »

Hi Lyssa, nice to meet you! I was braced on 9/21! It's my first time in braces; I was supposed to get them when I was young but the parents couldn't afford it - so here I am finally getting it done!

I too got the upper ceramics and lower metal brackets and was also given a 20 month estimate for treatment. Hopefully, if all goes well, that will not be the case and they'll come off sooner (fingers crossed)! I plan on being the the ideal patient so hopefully it will. :-}

Anyway, good luck to you and I look forward to hearing about your progress since we almost have the same b-day! :pinkbraces:

Lyssa

HI

#3 Post by Lyssa »

Nice to meet you too!!! :) Congrats on your braces! Today has been a little easier! I ate today! YEAH!!! Keep me posted on your progress...........I am 3 days into this and I think it will keep getting better. Exept for adjustment days! My first adjustment day is Nov. 2nd.........I do not know what to expect for the first one. Goodluck on your journey! :D

nerdgirl

#4 Post by nerdgirl »

Yes, today has definitely been better as far as the eating goes. I'm still eating soft foods though. I had to get molar build-ups to keep me from biting off my brackets (crowding and overbite) and I'm having a hard time adjusting to chewing with only two molars touching. :( In fact, I'm actually going back in to see my ortho tomorrow because one of the build-ups has gotten a bit wonky (I clench when I sleep) and now only one side of my mouth is making contact now! :-+ Thankfully, I haven't been having too much pain - I just feel a bit of pressure and there is a slight constant ache in my teeth (especially the front), but that goes away with some ibuprofen.

I'll definitely keep you posted. You do the same! I also have no idea what I'm in for at the first adjustment (maybe I'll ask tomorrow so I know what to expect). :D

And my first adjustment is Nov. 1! - so I'll let you know how it goes!! :-*

Lyssa

pressure

#5 Post by Lyssa »

HAHAH :lol: I have this aching pain in my teeth as well. Advil wasnt touching the pain, but I starting biting on the bite tray today and I feel so much better! As far as biting on your molars, I bearly bite on any of my back teeth.........so doc is fixing that! It is a strange sensation, but dont worry it will get better. This whole eating thing is more of a neccessity now than anything. I bought protein shakes........its just a pain to eat, everything gets stuck in the brackets and the teeth brushing is like a 10 min job after I eat! NO THANKS! Off to bed!! :-Z

Lyssa

Thanks KIWI

#6 Post by Lyssa »

The key word here is slowly............I went into the ortho office today and had the archwire clipped in the back! It was pokin' me :( . I feel much better! The whole cherwing thing is coming along. Its been 4 days.....so I think I am doing pretty well. Honestly, I think I am just scared to eat.......pain and food getting stuck. Also, the eating in public sounds horrifying! Smiling.....then having something stuck in my brackets! Its funny........but....... :D Thank you for your kind words. I am so thankful that I found this website. Everyone is so helpful and understands!!!!! Its very difficult to explain to someone who has never been through any kind of treatment what this is like. (i.e my boyfriend) Also, I dont want to sound like Im complaining all the time. So, this place is a huge relief! So thanks again! :-88 Cheers!

nerdgirl

#7 Post by nerdgirl »

Hey there! How's the chewing thing going? It's been up and down for me. I have good days where I can eat most things without any problems and then I have the bad days where it's back to soup and mashed potatoes or eggs. :x

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi" and check in with your progress. Only 3 weeks 1 day until 1st A day! :D

Lyssa

HII!!

#8 Post by Lyssa »

Nice to hear from you! :o Its been 21 days for me! I hear ya on the eating thing. Its up and down for me. I know when I shouldnt have eaten something.......my mouth throbs :evil: about 10 min after im done eating it. I really havent been eating anything chewy or crunchy. I was telling one of my co-workers how much I would love to bite into pizza or a burger!!! The good news it I lost 5 lbs in the 21 days I have had them on!! So thats always a plus.
Flossing has been the biggest challenge for me. :-+ I bought a flosser thing and it seems to be working fine. I went to the ortho today and had her check my gums and my middle line of my teeth. I noticed my gums were a little red and i just kept brushing and flossing. They are good now, but I want to be on the safe side!! My bite is starting to shift along with my teeth. Some gaps are closing and news ones are popping up. Doc says everything looks good! She went to school for this I didnt, Im just the paranoid patient! Anywho, im blabbing now! My first adjustment isnt until Nov. 1st. :idea: It will 6 weeks when i go in for my first adjustment. Do they usually wait that long? Anywho.........ill talk to u later! Its midterm study time! YEAH :roll:

Lyssa

THANKS

#9 Post by Lyssa »

Thanks Kiwi!!! :D As far is the flossing goes, im working at it! I use the flosser thing I bought, but Im also manually flossing. It just takes FORVER! :wink: Things are starting to look better with each passing day. I have been using the bite tray and it seems to be helping!

When I was at the ortho today, I asked her if it was normal to be experiencing discomfort; she said the first month is the worst. She reassured me it would get better! Im sure it will!

Thank you for the advice!!!