Got my braces on yesterday (9/17/07) UPDATED w/ pics 10/16

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmander

Got my braces on yesterday (9/17/07) UPDATED w/ pics 10/16

#1 Post by metalmander »

So I got my braces on yesterday. I got both the tops and bottoms on in the same day. They had to put spacers in for all of my molars, and that's when the fun began...The assistant tried to do it first and she couldn't, so she got the doctor to come back. Then the doctor spent 10 minutes trying to get them all in. He broke 4 on the same molar and gave up angrily and let the assistant put in some kind of "old-fashioned" metal spacer. That was the worst part of the procedure, but I was prepared for that because I'd read about it on this site. The pain didn't start until the middle of the night last night. I woke up and clamped my mouth together and felt a shock of pain..not fun. Overall though, I'm trying to tough it out and I'm doing okay. I think it will be a lot better after I get the brackets (? - I'm not sure if that's the proper term) on the molars, in place of these stupid rubber band spacers I'm chewing on all the time. I have an appointment for that next Tuesday. Am I right? I hope so. Eating isn't nearly as enjoyable as it was before braces. I can't wait to take a bite out of something and actually get full. But now that they are on (which I can't believe at times), I'm so excited to see the result in 12 to 15 months!
Last edited by metalmander on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

timewaster

#2 Post by timewaster »

Congratulations on starting your journey, Mander!

I just got my upper braces last week, and so far, the spacers have been the worst part!

My ortho gave me a bite wafer that I kept chewing on as hard as I could...there is something about causing myself so much pain that my mouth would go numb.

Also, I got an electric toothbrush and that really helped massage my sore teeth and gums. The warm salt water rinses are really nice and soothing too.

Invest in some good, low-fat ice cream. It is both tasty and so soothing. And you don't have to worry about the calories since eating is difficult anyway. :)

I hope your mouth starts to feel better. The molar bands and actual braces are not too shabby.

lovesupreme08

#3 Post by lovesupreme08 »

removed
Last edited by lovesupreme08 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalmander

#4 Post by metalmander »

Thanks for the encouragement!

Airbraceface

#5 Post by Airbraceface »

I understand the whole spacers issues! I just got mine in 3 hours ago and it dosen't hurt too bad, but as the day progresses the dull pain is beginning to make my head hurt. I have already taken some asprin so we shall see! Its nice we are all making this journey together

metalmander

#6 Post by metalmander »

The pain is gone and I don't even notice my braces anymore, although my front teeth have been a little sore lately. I have my first adjustment in a few weeks. I'll get a stronger wire and it will be connected to the molar bands, unlike now. I just thought I'd post some progress pics. Sorry about the quality (and the odd shape I made my lips in the first pic). Ha. The crooked canine in the front is the main reason I got braces, and look how it's moved! But my teeth seem to be getting yellow...what's happening? If anything, I brush my teeth longer and more carefully than before! Gross!

Before braces:

2 1/2 weeks after bday:

4 1/2 weeks after bday:

Teagan

#7 Post by Teagan »

I think my teeth are getting more yellow as well!

I really hope you're right karen, I don't want yellow teeth when I get these suckers off! :lol:

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

Maybe it's just the glue?
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Printemps

#9 Post by Printemps »

your teeth are moving so quickly wow!

mayday

#10 Post by mayday »

That is some great progress! Congrats to you!