Erin and the Purple Shinies.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RakudaErin

Erin and the Purple Shinies.

#1 Post by RakudaErin »

I've had my braces on since Wednesday, and I really, really love them, despite the discomfort. My teeth are a little tender from being yanked about, since the poor hygienist had to tug on me with pliers and practically pound my bands on with a hammer. She kept apologizing for the trouble she was having, but I woud rather she had just hurried and put them on! One of the main problems was using the "bite stick" to get the brackets on, since my top jaw is so much smaller than my bottom jaw, and I couldn't get purchase to bite down for the outsides of my back molars. Because of this little anomaly, I'ma need me some orthognathic surgery to fix my teeth. Not too worried about it, since I've had to have some surgeries before, and they always SOUND a lot more painful than they are.

Let's see, my fiance isn't in the U.S. right now, so I emailed him excitedly and showed him some pictures of my braces. He told me he thought they were cute, but he might just be doing the obligatory-fiance thing. But even if he doesn't like them very much, it's alright because *I* think they're awesomely shiny and purple.

Anyway, my jaw bones are a bit sore from my teeth being tugged by the wire, and because my top jaw is so small, the button on the inside of my back bracket is bruising my tongue. No lacerations, since it's well-waxed, but having a bruised tongue is the weirdest feeling ever. I'm using "healthy gums" by some company called "the natural dentist," and I find I like this better than salt water. It's a natural demulcent, or so the package informs me.

Let's see... flossing isn't that hard, which I'm glad. I was expecting an ordeal, but the threaders work marvelously. Rather like threading a sewing machine.

Yesterday, I cut up an apple in to small pieces so I would do some chewing. It was a little odd feeling, kind of like when you have a loose tooth as a kid, and you just want to keep pushing on it till it cracks and comes out and you get a free buck, and you're all like, "sweet, free dollar." Except on all of my teeth, and I don't want them to crack, and no one gave me a dollar. Jerks.

Anyway, I've got some pictures:

Here's the excited "LOOKIT MAH TEEF!" pic that I sent to my fiance:

Here's a closer pic that's more appropriate for the forum:

Right side:

Left side:

my mouth at rest (my lips don't meet):

And here's my roommate destroying Tokyo:

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Erin, you must be stoked, you look like you're 13! Lucky gal! Those braces look really good on you, it might be partially that you're so pleased with them.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

The purple looks cool :D

RakudaErin

#4 Post by RakudaErin »

Wow, thank you guys for your supportive comments!

:-}

I less-than-three orthodontics.

:pinkbraces:

RakudaErin

#5 Post by RakudaErin »

I'm seeing progress already! The two front teeth don't cross over one another as much and my open bite's getting more open (repositioning it for surgery.)

Also, the inside of my mouth isn't feeling so much like hamburger, so I'm getting toughened up, too.

cwatt1

#6 Post by cwatt1 »

Congratulations on getting braced, Erin, and welcome to the group! LOVE your attitude about everything -- even the prospect of oral surgery. Your blog is a pleasure to read.

Here's to wonderful progress for you :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

RakudaErin

#7 Post by RakudaErin »

Thanks, CWatt!

Hey, I'm from Northern Illinois, too!

cwatt1

#8 Post by cwatt1 »

Great to have another Northern Illinoisian here, Erin! We can swap stories about our famous Midwestern winters :D

Click here to read about my progress.