Roxxie's Journey! at a low point mentally...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kiwigirl83

#16 Post by kiwigirl83 »

Well done on taking the plunge and getting braces! It takes a lot of courage to take that step. I have my braces put on on Monday so I am a small step behind you :)

I know what you mean about the dental nurses etc talking to you like you're a child. I'm 24 and when I had my spacers and moulds done earlier this week the dental assistant kept saying in a really baby-talk voice 'well done, well done' and kept calling me 'sweetie'. I mean, there's no need to congratulate me- it wasn't that hard for me to lay back and have something that tasted mildly like bubble-gum put in my mouth.

I think that they must come pre-programmed like that as I have had a lot of nurses (both dental and doctors) speak like that, hehe.

I just find it amusing! Hehe :)

Good luck on getting used to your braces- cant wait to see your progress!!

kim22

#17 Post by kim22 »

hey roxxie. i just read your story. i have speed braces too. you dont realize how much smaller they are compared to regular braces until you see them beside someone with traditional metal braces, with the o-ring and stuff. i'm also from ontario lol, where abouts are you from?

anyway don't worry this braces stuff gets alot easier. but even with just those front 6 teeth connected, you'll still see lots of changes and movement. mine we're pretty much straight before i even got my teeth pulled. good luck withyour new braces! try and get some pictures up, it's good to see progress

cwatt1

#18 Post by cwatt1 »

Welcome to the forum, Roxxie! Always great to hear from another Canadian. My wife and I love your country and drove from Illinois clear across Canada to the Rockies just a few years ago. Breathtaking!

I'm sure you won't regret your decision to be braced even if your ortho thinks it was marginal whether or not you should go that route. You want the healthiest teeth possible as you get older!

Best of luck :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

roxxie

#19 Post by roxxie »

kim22, I am south of Toronto but I go to school in Ottawa!

I bought Listerine fluoride mouthwash today to try to prevent some of those cavaties. :P

I am going to attempt some pictures! But no promises. I do apologize for the terrible picture quality.

Day before braces were put on (Tuesday Aug.14/07):
You can see I have a slight underbite (my lower jaw is too big), and a crossbite where my 2nd top teeth go behind my bottom. I've always had those white spots on my two front teeth (decalcification?). As far as I can tell with internet research, the only way to get rid of them is cosmetic bonding...

I also have an overjet and a narrow upper jaw.

2 days after bonding:
Only the front teeth have been wired, 8 on top and 6 on bottom. My lower 4's and upper 5's will be exctracted (gasp!) on Tuesday.

It's hard to tell, but you can kind of see how my "fang" teeth poke out so much farther. It's much more obvious in person! :oops: :?

Bottom teeth. They're decent, but the arch is too "square" in front according to my ortho; I don't know if that's just cosmetic?

Annnnyway, the majority of my problems are with my bite, so I'm not going to see the progress as much as feel it. I'm also looking forward to cosmetic dentistry after!! De-sharpening my fangs, whitening and maybe some bonding! Y'all are starting out with nice pretty teeth that are just in the wrong spots, my teeth are ugly to begin with (though not as yellow as they seem in the pics).

cwatt1

#20 Post by cwatt1 »

Roxxie, I agree with Karen -- your teeth are most certainly NOT ugly. They look very nicely shaped and very even in terms of size. Once your bite and alignment are fixed up you'll look stunning!

chillin-in-grilz

#21 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I just read yoour story:) So forgive me if I am back to far. This is repilies to your posts.

4000 is not bad, my dad only covers half. its 14k for me, as in thousand. So 7k is covered.

having wax is not big deal but annoying to apply it perfectly all the time. i have it in when I eat.

I am 6 months in but still need wax lol. I hope your journey is a pelasant experiance.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Laurie

#22 Post by Laurie »

I agree with KK, your teeth look nice to begin with so once the bite situation is sorted out you'll be doing great.

roxxie

#23 Post by roxxie »

Aw, thank you guys, but my camera lies a bit. :oops:

I've gradually been meeting up with friends, bit by bit, and hearing their reactions (I didn't tell anyone I was getting braced). Mostly the reactions have been positive! :D Some people say that I wear them well, that they're like a cute accessory.

I'm not even using wax anymore. Shockingly, I haven't gotten any mouth sores, which is awesome.

There is definitely movement happening already!! It's not good movement but I guess any movement is actually good. I've lost all contact between my incisors, therefore I have no real biting/tearing power; I have to cut my food up in bits. Eating sandwiches with lettuce or pizza with cheese is the worst because all the lettuce/cheese comes out on the first bite, I can't bite it off. This happened to me before, after I had some fillings done in my back teeth, 4 years ago. I went back to the dentist twice, and he just ground the fillings down more and more but it didn't help. Gradually I got some contact back, just on one side, but now that's gone again and it's a little scary. But I'm sure all that will be straightened out by the end.

You know what's even scarier? Extractions! I have all four done tomorrow at 7am! (Who knew dentists' offices were even open that early?) So it's an early day for me. I'm having all four done at once (bicuspids), and the current plan is no laughing gas because we're already spending so much (this isn't included in the $6300 price). I know it won't be pleasant, I'm just going to find a happy place... maybe that happy place includes me with a movie star smile? :-*

roxxie

#24 Post by roxxie »

Hi... I finally got my extractions on Tuesday! So this update is a little late.

Kiwi... 7 extractions at once?? :shock: He truly is a brave man. Why in the world did he need that many?

So, my story. I got to the dentist's at 6:50am (sigh :roll: ). I was his first appointment and therefore got in quickly. He asked me if I wanted to do all 4 at once, or do two and two, or even come in 4 times and get one at each appointment. I asked him his opinion, and he said that two extractions at once hurts twice as much as one, but four at once isn't worse than two. He suggested I get it all over at once, and so I agreed to that!

Then he did the needles... first a swab of numbing cream so I wouldn't feel them as much. Then he did 8 needles, two on each corner of my mouth, but oddly none on the inside of my teeth! They were all on the outside, between my lips and teeth. I'm not too much of a needle person, and I was already nervous, so I started to freak out a little. He decided to give me the laughing gas to calm me down!

Laughing gas: he said it would make me feel drunk, so I guess it affects different people differently, because I was completely alert. I actually was scared it wasn't working! But then when he started to work on my teeth, I realized that I wasn't scared anymore. I totally trusted him. It was a little weird feeling the teeth move! I felt them all wiggling from the inside of my mouth (tounge and roof side) because he hadn't frozen that, and I could feel them leaving the gum, but no pain. I'm glad he did it that way, though, because a friend of mine had freezing done on the roof of her mouth for extractions and said it hurt a lot!

So then I was packed with gauze and sent on my way. He didn't even charge me for the laughing gas! What a guy. :D

I started having second thoughts, though, afterwards! I just lost 4 perfectly healthy teeth, and I can't ever get them back! I tried to look at the big picture, but it's kind of hard not to mourn a missing part of my body. :(

So anyway, pain: there has been ALMOST NONE. I am amazed. I took tylenol the first day (normal extra strength), then forgot it when I went to work on the second day, and didn't even bother today. I am fine. My cheeks sting a little when I touch my face, I think some of the needles went in there. Odd how a little needle pinch will still hurt 2.5 days later, and teeth being ripped out by the roots doesn't hurt at all. :?:

I'm having so much trouble brushing... I am terrified of dry socket and so I'm steering clear of the big holes entirely. I know my oral hygiene should be even better at this point, but it's gotten worse because I'm scared to brush there! I rinse with water and salt water though, and kind of rub around with the pipe cleaner brush. QUESTION: how long until they heal over, and how much longer after that until I can treat my mouth completely normally (ie brushing the site as hard as I brush the rest of my mouth)?

I hate my smile now. The gaps on the bottom show if I smile big (they're #4's!) and the tops show too if I laugh really big! This is hidious. How much ugliness must I go through to achieve the pretty? :oops: :?

Oh, and this whole journey has been the best diet I've ever tried. I've already lost 7 pounds. I live on jello and pudding.

roxxie

#25 Post by roxxie »

And p.s., my teeth are definitely moving because my bite is now totally open at the front. Like, 2mm between my teeth when I bite down. Not good in my books.

I will take pics when the extraction sites heal enough that you don't all cower in fear.

cwatt1

#26 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Roxxie,

How terrific that your extractions went so well!

Don't worry too much about how your mouth looks -- your in the process of improving yourself, and besides, who's really going to notice?

Here's to progress! :-88

roxxie

#27 Post by roxxie »

So I'm back at university and I'm starting to feel self concious. Everyone notices (obviously) and I just feel like they're so big and ugly, and there's no one else my age who has them. I'm starting to wonder if this was the right thing. I'm going to have them for at LEAST 2 years, thats my entire 2nd and 3rd years of university. I look like a little kid when I smile and I really hate them! I'm trying to see the big picture and the end result but it is so hard!

The big extraction gaps are ugly too. :( I just want this to be over.