Everything you ever wanted to know about babyduck

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laurie

#16 Post by Laurie »

Babyduck, I have a tooth in just about the same place that does the same thing! The bracket on that darn thing is currently the bane of existence. My lig on it broke so I have a double tied wire tie on it. I told my husband it feels like bailing wire! LOL! I can't wait for that silly thing to stand up straight.

SDFD TSchott

#17 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Phew that was alot of reading... you must write a book or two cause that was interesting... Anyways glad to see another member has joined the club and hopeing everything will go great for you as things have been running smooth for me in the past 11 months :) I hope everything else will fall into place and everything turns out for the best for you!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

babyduck

#18 Post by babyduck »

Yeah, Tim, I tend to get wordy...ramble, if you will lol. Thanks for sticking it out and reading about me haha.

Well, geez, people what a week. I'm adjusting pretty quickly to the braces and my bite it improving already. I can actually close my mouth even though that pain in the hind end molar is still as wonky as ever because I'm biting more correctly, now. That has been a major milestone.

The pain is gone...just still gotta be careful and I can't bite into anything. So, I'm surviving by tearing off little bites and cramming them in my mouth.

The show was great. I actually had a moment of near-breakdown, though. A couple of the actors are young and typically immature and commenced to making fun of my braces :roll: . Wow...not what I needed moments before showtime and in the height of PMS. It took a lot to suck up the tears. You just don't expect to have to deal with that sort of thing when you're not - oh, I dunno - 12!

My in-laws came to see the show Saturday and didn't even notice the braces while I was on-stage! My sister in law (she's 15) is the only one who commented on them, so I don't know if anyone else ever saw them or not. I've had a chance to show them off to more and more people and most agree that they're pretty hard to spot.

I did have a moment of "Ah CRAP!" earlier, though. For many years, I've planned on having a blow out 10 year anniversary party for my husband and myself to make up for the very tiny little wedding that we had. Well, I don't know why it took me so long to think of this, but I'll be braced in all my pics. I'd already considered that I may be pg out to there, but hadn't even thought of the braces. And on top of that, I'll have my 10 year high school reunion, as well. It's been many years since any graduating classes from my high school have actually had one, but I was approached last night by a couple girls I graduated with who are hoping to organize one :roll: . Great...10 years after high school and I'll be in braces for the reunion.

Ironically, my little boy was cutting teeth all this past week and I've never been so sympathetic to his discomfort. At least I didn't have to deal with fever and diarrhea to boot. But he's been cranky, my husband's been cranky, and I've been one big freakin' ray of sunshine...emotional sunshine. Here's to begging and pleading for a better week!

Stacy

Check out my braces story for pics :-)!

cwatt1

#19 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Stacy!

Glad your show went well -- too bad about some of the younger members making fun of you. That's kids for you!

As for your 10-year high school reunion -- I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your old classmates are actually envious and proud of you for taking such a postive step for yourself :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

babyduck

#20 Post by babyduck »

Well, my day is better already. For one thing, my computer freaked out on me last night and I thought that last big update post didn't go through. I was coming here to redo it only to find that I don't have to! YAY!

Plus, the encouragment that I get here is great! I tried to make myself feel better by calling those make-funners immature little kids (even though they're 19 and 20...you'd think they would be *slightly* more mature than that), but it always means more when someone else says it. To be honest, I think it made them almost uncomfortable to see an adult with braces and that's why they fixated on them. THey definitely made more out of them than I have so far!

Karen, you're right...it'll only be a big deal if I make it a big deal. I try to remember that the braces aren't just to improve my appearance, but they will also improve my oral health and I like that I'm teaching my little boy to not put vanity in front of anything else (i.e. opting to lose my back teeth to avoid wearing braces as an adult). I also like that, years from now, should Elijah need braces of his own, I'll be able to sympathize with him much more since I'll have walked a mile in those shoes. I do get a little sad to think of him going through the discomfort, though :(. But good grief....that's years from now!

babyduck

#21 Post by babyduck »

Yeah, I'm pretty positive that by the time my little boy would be old enough for braces (I would think at least 10-12 years from now), some advancements will have been made. But I don't see how they could ever be made pain-free just because of the nature of what they do. I hate to see him in pain and he's actually the first thing I thought of when I got my spacers. It may have crept into my head because he goes to all of my ortho appt's with me and I remember thinking to myself, "No matter how uncomfy I get, I've gotta keep a straight face so that I don't make him afraid of the process." It's silly, I know, but it's difficult for me to see him sick or in pain.

Laurie

#22 Post by Laurie »

It's hard thinking about your kids hurting... that's very true. Although I agree with KK, by the time it's your kiddo's turn things will probably changed even more and it might be a lot easier.

babyduck

#23 Post by babyduck »

Well, that's definitely something for me to hope for, then. I'd say much of it depends on the person, their particular problem and about a million other factors. For example, many people have problems with the mouth sores and I haven't had the first one. I don't know why, other than I'm just less sensitive to the chaffing. But my teeth took a while to get used to the pressure. If anyone escaped that creepy sensation, you've been blessed!

metalmom

#24 Post by metalmom »

I made it through your story today! It's a great one! That's a great idea to have all the background.. I agree with everyone else that your teeth are going to look awesome at the end! Excited for you!

I feel your pain on the brave face for the kiddos.. My oldest is 10 and he is going to be getting his braces in about a year.. He's heard from friends how horrible and painful it is. I'm trying to be the brave mom and suck it up and tell him how easy it is! Even though I almost go into cardiac arrest everytime I catch a glimpse of my shiny silver in the mirror! It is totally different for everyone and I've had minimal pain and w/2 expanders I'm feeling very fortunate. I dread the day I take him in for his though. He's going to be mad at me. lol I know it hurt like crazy when they were fitting my expander.

Also want to sympathize with you on the shock of having them. I love that so many people on this site are so proud of their braces. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of mine but I do feel very self-conscious... I don't know if you've had this happen but I've found that people question why I'm doing it and the only acceptable answer has now become, because if I didn't do it now I'd be getting some dentures in a few years... Crazy that at 14 people say good for so and so they're getting their kid braces. But if you get braces it better not be for aesthetics. Anywho...

Welcome and look forward to watching your progress!!

Laurie

#25 Post by Laurie »

That's so awesome that you haven't had any mouth sores!