Questions, Questions, Questions...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ophelia820

Questions, Questions, Questions...

#1 Post by ophelia820 »

Hey everyone!

After 3 years of dreading braces, I got them on this morning. This was definitely NOT a decision I am excited about and am worried that I have made a mistake. I am hoping that maybe some of you who are more experienced with them might take a moment to help me out. :)

I will be 16 in September and (hopefully) will have my braces off around the time I graduate in 20-22 months. My upper teeth are in relatively good shape, nothing I couldn't live with although there's certainly room for improvement. The only reason I have them on top now is to make some room for braces on the bottom that will be used to pull up an impacted tooth in the back. Terrifying. The ortho said it would take between 6-9 months to expose it. Has anyone else had this done? Is that time about how long it takes?

Anyways, right now the worst part is me feeling like I can't close my lips easily at all. Does this pass? I'm also extremely self-concious about them even though they are porcelain. It feels like they stick out a mile.

Most of all I just want to feel like this is worth it.

Thanks so much for reading this! I would really appreciate any comments or help.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Ophelia

Congratulations on getting your brace. Don't worry that "they feel huge" feeling will go away pretty soon, as will feeling self-conscious. You're lucky that you're getting this done at a young age, you'll have the rest of your life to enjoy your lovely straight teeth.

I'm not sure which tooth you need exposed but from memory there are a couple of people here on archwired who similarly needed teeth exposed. The only one that springs to mind though is Lucyloop so you could search her story although I think she had a front, or canine tooth exposed.

Hope your first few days go well, this is usually the most difficult time in terms of adjusting to them, but believe me in a while you will forget your braces are there.

Some here swear by saltwater rinses. For me the real lifesaver was wax so hopefully your orthodontist gave you some wax. Dab it on if you find a bracket rubbing.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ophelia820

#3 Post by ophelia820 »

Thanks!

I hope that I'll actually be able to close my mouth very shortly...

I'll definitely look for her account since it probably is quite similar to mine. I'm worried that it will take longer than the ortho has led me to expect, but I'm just paranoid.

I did get plenty of wax. Two kinds actually, but I have no clue what the difference betwen them is. haha

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Ophelia - Those brackets sure feel large huh?! Well, keep your mouth hydrated and your lips covered in lip balm! It will help with your lips sliding over the brackets. Soon enough, you'll forget they're in there until it's time to clean them.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

ophelia820

#5 Post by ophelia820 »

Yes they do!

Thanks for the advice and hopefully I will get more used to them.

Right now, I'm mostly concerned about that impacted tooth. At one point during the consultation, the ortho mentioned the very slight possibility of the tooth being actually attached to the jaw bone. (which is very unusual thankfully) I wish I could remember the word for it...oh well. So I'll be less anxious once that tooth starts coming up.

ophelia820

#6 Post by ophelia820 »

Thanks for the info KK!

The impacted tooth is the lower first molar on the right. It's quite sideways down there, but I'm told that it looks healthy.

Do you know if it's possible to just have braces on the bottom teeth to pull up an impacted tooth down there? After my uppers reach where my ortho wants them to be, can that just be held with a retainer?
Just curious.

Laurie

#7 Post by Laurie »

It will be worth it in the end! It almost always is!

chillin-in-grilz

#8 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Welcome to the boards. I hope you have a great journey
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007