Finally getting braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

babsbrace

Finally getting braces

#1 Post by babsbrace »

Hi, I am 37 and finally getting braces. I have spacers in right now - and have had 5 days of pain! They come off next week and the fun begins....
I have lots of crowns and am a bit worried that they will be damaged in the whole process - I already feel one is a bit loose after the spacers. I have 2 root canals that may be disturbed too..........oh the worry of it all!
I love the web site, and it has helped reassure me a lot.

Wired Skull

#2 Post by Wired Skull »

Hi and welcome.

I'm 38 and have had them since 2007-01-20. No spacers since all my brackets are glued on. Can't say that I miss the experince of spacers and bands :D
There are a few other brace wearers on this board with crowns and they seems to have no problem even if there sometimes can be a bit tricky to glue the brackets on the crown. You might need to band those teeth.

Don't worry about wearing braces as an adult. I haven't heard one negative comment at all. Most people seems just to notice you wearing braces and then move along as usual. I can guarantee you that you in the end of the treatment won't regret a thing.

Hang in there and good luck with your journey. The group would also like to see some nice pics along your journey.
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/

babsbrace

#3 Post by babsbrace »

Thanks guys - today the spacer pain has mostly gone, after a week. One of my crowns with a root canal is tender, so I think that is not good news....
Thanks for all the advice, it is great to have all the support!

babsbrace

#4 Post by babsbrace »

You know - that is exactly what I should do! Thanks for that!
I'll keep you posted.
Babs

Laurie

#5 Post by Laurie »

Those spacers can be a doozy.

I tend to worry a bit about things too. I don't think your dentist would mind checking out your crown to be on the safe side.

TracyFace

#6 Post by TracyFace »

Welcome to the club!

I'm in spacers right now, too... ugh! Mine come off in 24 hours and 9 minutes... not that I'm counting, or anything!

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have had 3 RTC and they were the most sore when braced. I've not had a problem so far with bonding and the brackets, I don't have bands on them. My ortho uses a porcelain etch for PFM crowns and bands on the all metal ones. I have PFM crowns so I will have to get them re-done once my bite settles.

I was informed that the teeth with RTC will be more sore because there is some change in the surrounding bone structure. Just like a RTC tooth being extracted, that one hurt like a thorn in the eye. It aches and aches, but eventually it subsides after it figures out that it needs to look for a new place to call home. You'll be fine. :-#)
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

babsbrace

#8 Post by babsbrace »

Thanks - it's good to know I'm not the only one!

rhonda30

separators

#9 Post by rhonda30 »

Welcome aboard.

I can relate the the separator pain, I almost opted out of ortho treatment based on the pain and discomfort from those little blue devils. However I am happy to say that I'm glad I stayed the course.(Most of the time.)

I have several crowns and I have not had a problem with the brackets.

What kind of brackets are you getting?

Hang in there and be assured you have many supporters at this site.

babsbrace

#10 Post by babsbrace »

Thanks for all the advice. I am getting sliver braces, with bands around the molars. It should be happening on Tue but the Ortho called and wants to do it Monday morning instead.......but I have scheduled a cleaning on Monday pm in preparation.....AGHHHH! DId I mention I have a 7 month old and a 4 yr old who need a sitter while Im gone and Ive booked a friend for both appointments - it's getting all too complicated, maybe it's a sign...........?

babsbrace

#11 Post by babsbrace »

Well, I have rearranged - and the good news is, I'm getting braced a day early! I have a cleaning at 8.30 on Mon then straight to Ortho for the braces at 10.
I can't wait! The sooner they are on, the sooner I will be done! This is a great website - I have been reading all about what to expect and how to eat :lol: afterwards....It looks like I may join my baby and eat his pureed veggies for a bit!

babsbrace

#12 Post by babsbrace »

Oh and my dentist is taking out the spacers before he cleans.....I want those little blue nasties....I need to see exactly what has been causing me all this discomfort! (and made me lose 6lbs in a week, so maybe I should thank them...?)

babsbrace

#13 Post by babsbrace »

Thanks Karen - I have seen your posts all over the site - you have a great attitude! I really appreciate the positive vibes!

babsbrace

#14 Post by babsbrace »

Thanks Linda - 13 hrs to go! I'm a bit nervous, but will be so glad to have them on and to start the whole process, finally.
I have just been out for a big meal - my last for a while :wink:
I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

babsbrace

#15 Post by babsbrace »

Well I have done it - the braces and bands are on the top and I have to go back in a month for the bottom. It was really quick and a lot less stressful than I had imagined. I am really glad to have this morning over with - I was really dreading the whole precess, but it was nothing to worry about after all!