Al's (with the little L) Invisalign De-crookedification

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Al

Al's (with the little L) Invisalign De-crookedification

#1 Post by Al »

Allo allo again, everyone!

My 'appliances' treatment will not commence until August, but I thought I might as well begin documenting my journey now, as it has already taken some unexpected turns. Mainly, in the direction of gum treatment and extractions.

Two of the orthos I visited during my discovery phase referred me to a perio, quoting gum recession and bone loss. I visited that perio this morning.

Nice, clean office. Quiet, sterile. I was greeted, initiated and primed by the most lovely young lady I'd met in a decade. After a brief, fifteen minute courtship and just as I was about to propose, the evil doctor came in. I could tell by the look on his face that his sole mission in life was to hand out bad news. With a smile. For a fee.

I'm quite disappointed that I still have only two eyes to see with. I should have grown at least a third one with all the X-Rays I've had taken over the past two months. More X-Rays at the perio today. Pretty neat ones this time, though - digitised. Zappedy zap and voila! The image is ready for staring at on the computer screen.

Not having any luck with a third eye, I began to extend hope for a few new mutant teeth from today's zapping session. My 'Hope' channel must need fine tuning, because the doctor went in exactly the opposite direction and suggested (more like ordered. with a smile. for a fee) that I get my remaining two wisdom teeth extracted as they are only serving to encourage my gum problems.

Pending a review of the estimate by my miserly insurance company, I am now to have two wisdom teeth extracted, followed by some deep, anesthetised gum cleaning, followed by gum surgery, followed by one or two root canals, as one root on one lower second molar is abscessed and its sister on the opposite side is apparently on her way to the same fate.

So, yay! What started off as a simple de-crookedification of a meek and tender beast's mug is quickly turning into a mega makeover. I wonder if I can work a new, sexy rump into the package...

So here then are the parts which I don't entirely understand.

1. The extractions. These were prescribed because apparently the gum recession is the most severe on my rear most teeth and the wisdom teeth supposedly do not allow for proper cleaning and only create deeper pockets for bacteria to collect in.

My question is, if the teeth are extracted, won't that in turn create even bigger pockets for food and bacteria to collect in? I know I'm seeing this wrong, but the way I look at it is the wisdom teeth fit snug against the adjacent molars and if they are removed, then those molars are left exposed to attack by food and bacteria. The doctor told me different, but I'm not convinced yet. Goats are stubborn, you know.

2. The gum surgery. The way it was explained to me, the gumline at those rear teeth with the worst recession is going to be lowered. This, as was explained, will decrease the depth of the pockets between the teeth and gums there and will help prevent bad stuff from collecting there.

My question is, if we're trying to repair recession, why are we doing so by recreating recession? Does one recession cancel the other one out?

If our knowledgeable posters could help me see the light here, I will forever like you... for the next three months. I promise.

For now, I am mentally exhausted from these surprises. And likely broke too.

I promise pictures later in the show, when the 'appliance' treatment begins.

Laurie

#2 Post by Laurie »

It seems you've opened a hornet's nest of dental treatment! Wow! I've always wondered why they would remove part of the gums. I thought maybe it was to removed the "diseased" areas but I honestly haven't a clue.

Al

#3 Post by Al »

I found a succinct page on the subject of the type of periodontal disease treatment which my perio was trying to explain to me. With pictures, no less! LOL. Sorry, I'm not sure about others, but I'm a visual learner. The more images, the better.

http://www.aspenperio.com/periodontaldi ... erview.htm

minlou01

#4 Post by minlou01 »

Welcome Al!

I look forward to following your journey...your writing style had me in stiches...keep the laughs coming!

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Al

#5 Post by Al »

Thanks minlou. :)

Update and question...

My dentist's office called this morning. They have received the letter from the perio instructing them to extract the two remaining wisdom teeth. Aside from the typical separation anxiety panic, I have one major concern. The impressions taken for Invisalign aligners included those wisdom teeth. With those teeth gone, I am confused as to how the aligners are supposed to fit properly. Even if the excess were to be cut away (from the aligners), wouldn't that leave an open end on that side of the aligner where there would otherwise be a nicely closed off end?

I'm going to place a call to my ortho to try and have the same question answered, but would very much appreciate some feedback from the veterans here as well. My contention is, if I'm doling out these exorbitant fees, I'd very much like some rounded results and not chopped off ones (pun intended).

Cheers
Al
:)

Al

#6 Post by Al »

Well, according to some replies in another thread and then a returned call from my ortho's office, I shouldn't be worried about anything. Apparently it makes little difference (at least in my case, as well as some others') whether the aligners are closed off at the end or open ended.

On that note, I'm off to get two new holes in my head. I will spend the remaining evening pouring salt on my wounds, the sadist that I am. LOL

Salt... check! Warm water... check! Salt-water rinses ahoy, mateys! Harrrrr! *spit*

Al

#7 Post by Al »

Hmmm... apparently I cannot do any of the stuff I'd mentioned in my last post for 24 hours. The After Your Dental Procedure leaflet which I just received with my two new holes states, among other things:

- Do not Spit
- You may rinse with warm salt water starting at 24 hours after the procedure