Minlou's August 12th Update w/Pics!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

minlou01

#16 Post by minlou01 »

KK wrote:Loads of progress on your right side Minlou ... you must be stoked! :jump: :thumbsup: :jump:

You may go up a wire size, but remember that it's these light flexible wires that do the alignment work, so you don't want to be moving away from them till the job is finished.

I know I'm the exception here, but my ortho doesn't see any need to change archwires while progress is continuing. Okay my progress is slow, but with teeth missing, crowding, gaps, cross bites and a class III bite ... no one ever said it would be easy. I've had one change of archwire in 22 1/2 months ... and that was at seven months, when I was moved out of the flexible archwires. ... and the best news the archwires continue to work ... even after soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many months ... I continue to see progress. I've realised you don't need regular archwire changes, what you need is a skilled ortho! :dance:

Here's to more amazing progress! :banana:
Thank you for that info KK! I'm so thankful to have benefited from your (and others) experience and knowledge. I would have been so disappointed if my Ortho didn't "upgrade" me, but now I understand a bit more.

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#17 Post by minlou01 »

I had friend who many years ago was a live-in nanny for a wealthy family. She loved it! She also travelled and went holidaying with them. But then she wanted a change (she grew very emotionally attached and the kids were growing up) so she went on to work in a natural health foods store before starting her own family. She's now a mum of 4.

Thanks Linda! The emotional attachment is both one of the most rewarding parts of the jobs and an occupational hazard. I was with my last family for a bit over 4 years and I so knew it was time to move on but it still took me about 8 months to both prepare myself and the children. I ended consulting a pediatric psychologist who adviced me how to work through it with the children. It was incredibly hard. The great thing is that I still have an amazing relationship with those children and still frequently take them on trips. I'm taking them to the South of France in a few weeks!

3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#18 Post by minlou01 »

"Lil Sunshine"I am sporting my smile the same as you Laurie. Proud as can be cause I am trying to fix it and I know it wont be bad for much longer, well maybe a few years but hey what is that compared to a lifetime.

Minlou...I think that you are having great progress and cant wait to watch your progress over the next few months.

How long is your treatment estimated to last for right now?

My Ortho estimates 24-30 months...a small lifetime but so worth it! Thanks for the encouragement!

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#19 Post by minlou01 »

"Laurie" I've decided to just start smiling with my teeth showing anyways. At least people know I'm trying to fix the situation.

Both my lateral teeth overlap my central teeth as you one tooth does. I don't know about you but I'm so anxious for that to be remedied.

So true Laurie. I'm so excited to see my lateral moving along. I feel a bit silly looking in the mirror every chance I get. But hey it motivates me to continue having a positive attitude so it works for me! :wink:

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#20 Post by minlou01 »

I almost forgot I came here to ask a question and then I got "lost" browsing around! My bit seems to be changing quite a bit. What is concerning me a bit is when I bite down on my left side my molars (or something in the molar area) makes a "crunching sound". It worries me a bit. My teeth feel and look normal. Do you think I could compressing the wire or something to make that sound?

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Miss Smiley

#21 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have that same thing going on. Since I don't have moalr bands, I checked to see if my brakets were knocking. I did the open, bite, open, bite thingy to myself in the mirror. No brackets clanking. I figured it was just the wire from the movement of our teeth. I'll check back to see if anyone has a better answer.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

minlou01

#22 Post by minlou01 »

Well Miss Smiley we must be alone in this situation! I'll ask my Ortho when I go next week. It is a crazy sound to hear coming from your mouth!

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#23 Post by minlou01 »

Well I'm off to the Ortho to get my lowers braced in a few minutes! The "crunching" sound has stopped but I am still going to ask my Ortho about it. I have noticed that I am clenching in my sleep. Not good. :(

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

Minlou's Fully Braced!

#24 Post by minlou01 »

Well the deed is done! It was a bit trickier to get the lowers braced. The assistant cut the wire too short two times and had to remove it and replace it. I didn't expect to get the cement build up on my molars...it has made eating a lot trickier and messier! I guess I will get used to it soon enough. My ortho said I will get a stronger wire for my uppers at my next adjustment in 4 weeks and I will most likely start elastics then too. The "crunching" sound was due to an issue with the arch wire. It has split ( not completely). I got the same type of wire for my uppers.

B-Day Uppers/1 Month Uppers & B-Day for Lowers
ImageImage

B-Day Upper Arch/1 Month Upper Arch
ImageImage

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Miss Smiley

#25 Post by Miss Smiley »

Aren't braces FUN!

Al

#26 Post by Al »

Minlou, aside from the alignment correction you're undergoing, your teeth look like they are in fantastic shape! I'm ashamed to say I'm a bit jealous. LOL

Your braces look good. Here's to time flying by. :)

minlou01

#27 Post by minlou01 »

Ugh...what a day. I started off my day already feeling quite sore. Then my 3 year old charge accidently hit my mouth with his quite hard head which split my lip open. The edges of the wound kept catching on my braces and tearing it further :roll: I finally decided that I needed to get it looked at and went in to my GP who said it either needed stiches or to be "glued". He gave me the pros and cons and I chose to have it "glued".

So, now I have a big fat lip, my teeth are really sore and I'm having a terrible time eating with these stupid molar buildups (or whatever they are called!). Yes, I am having a pitty party!!! I need some chocolate!

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Miss Smiley

#28 Post by Miss Smiley »

Min, that SUCKS!!! :ouch: I hope your lip feels better and that swelling goes down for all the celebrating for the 4th. Geez, split your lip open...I guess you'll be using some wax on those brackets. Cross your fingers that it will have healed a sufficient amount so that you can try and eat some good bbq tomorrow.

minlou01

#29 Post by minlou01 »

Thanks for the chocolate KK!

I hope your 4th of July was filled with yummy BBQ Miss Smiley!

I am so amazed at how quickly mouth stuff heals! I was coordinated nicely yesterday strutting my red and blue lip which was fitting for the holiday. I'm still having a tough time eating but I keep trying. I'm headed out to a friend's birthday dinner tonight at a chinese restaurant so that should be fun and interesting.

I'm contemplating a move to Colorado in a year. My one big "con" (besides leaving my friends :-)) is switching orthodontists. Has anyone here done that? Was it a big pain?

Happy Thursday!

Min

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#30 Post by minlou01 »

Not much to report here. I'm still seeing consistent improvement in both arches. My upper centrals are now hitting the lower brackets when I chew. So, I'm trying to chew differently LOL. It isn't very effective. I think I'll stick with a smoothie for breakfast.

I've been busy trying to come up with boy's names. The adoption agency said that I most likely will get a baby boy since I didn't specify what sex and there are so many more baby boys in Ethiopia up for adoption. Boy's names are so hard! Current choices right now are Brooks, Caedmon, Brooklyn, Asher & Alastair. For a middle name I would like to use either Morgan (my grandfather) or Byron (a college professor I learned so much from).

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!