Minlou's August 12th Update w/Pics!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

minlou01

Minlou's August 12th Update w/Pics!

#1 Post by minlou01 »

I can't believe my b-day is only two days away! On that thought I am posting my pre-braces pics so that hopefully the comparison will be significant soon! :D I am 33 years old and I have waited a long, long, long time to get my teeth fixed...so, I am very excited!

Last edited by minlou01 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dojo

#2 Post by dojo »

A very good idea indeed. You'll see a HUGE difference in time. Best of luck with the b-day. :)

minlou01

#3 Post by minlou01 »

KK, Maryaten & Dojo~ Thanks for the kind words and great advice!

I got my uppers braced today! :D Yippee, I'm on my way to straighter and healthier teeth! :lol:

Here are my pics:

Upper Day 1

Day 1

The whole process was relatively easy and totally painless. I decided on the metal Damon 3's. My teeth are starting to get a bit sore but that is it. I'm so relieved! I'll get my lowers braced in a month. My ortho did say that I am at risk of getting a "black triangle"??? I didn't quite understand his explanation of what this is...does anyone have any pics?

Thanks!

minlou01

#4 Post by minlou01 »

Thanks Meryaten! I guess there isn't much I can do to prevent it so I'll try not to worry to much. :(

I'm doing great this morning and I think I can even see a bit of progress with my canine that sticks out.

Laurie

#5 Post by Laurie »

I agree, if it's something you can't control then don't worry about it. :wink:

dojo

#6 Post by dojo »

Welcome to the "heavy metal" club :lol:

Your braces look very nice and you'll get accustomed to them really soon. I also had sore teeth, but it's getting way better now. I would recommend wax too, at least for the first days. Then you might not need it (as myself after 4 years of using it) or just use it as you wish, you'll get some more when you finish it.

Don't worry about anything now and just try to feel good about yourself. It's a huge change in life and first days in braces are not the most pleasant ones. But it's the best thing we did for ourselves and the results will soon appear and will be AWESOME.

Keep doing the stuff you were already advised and have a painless journey. Of course we can't wait to hear how you feel all this time, so please make sure you keep us updated on the progress ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

minlou01

Minlou's Journey: Day 7 Update w/Pics!

#7 Post by minlou01 »

I can't believe I have been braced for 7 days already! Time flies when you are having fun!

Brace Day #1

Brace Day #7

I think I see some movement which is exciting! What do you all think? It is definitely getting easier to floss. I'm finally able to chew a bit better. It did help that I was determined to eat good food! I had chicken fajitas for lunch and they were wonderful! I'm just the slightest bit sore now. As long as I stay hydrated I haven't found it necessary to use any wax. I'm so looking forward to my 1st adjustment and to getting the lowers braced. Let's get this party started! :D

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

It feels great when those tight spaces start to open up and let the floss glide right in! :jump:
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

dojo

#9 Post by dojo »

You look very nice with the braces :)

I also felt some movement too .. my canine is getting to the back and now I can get the floss thread right to the gums (won't get stuck between the 2 teeth anymore).

Changes will come. Some for good some for worse. Don't worry. Even if the teeth might sometimes seem "worse", the result is what we're in for :)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

minlou01

#10 Post by minlou01 »

Thank you so, so, so much linda21!

The information was very helpful. I am a total Type A person and I feel a bit lost without an action plan. It makes me feel much better to know that IPR is an option and beyond that that 90% are alleviated given time.

:D

3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

#11 Post by minlou01 »

Just some thoughts...

I was thinking about the poster that just broke up with his girlfriend and is considering discontinuing his ortho treatment bc he is afraid he won't find a girlfriend with braces on. You know I've only been braced a week so maybe this will change...but, the only time I've been truly embarresed by my braces is when the first couple of days I acted embarressed. I finally realized that if I just smiled normally and didn't try to hide them (which is very succesful anyways! :D ) then I was my normal confident self. But, when I attempted to smile without showing my braces or put my hand over my mouth I felt like so foolish.

Just my 2 cents...

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

minlou01

Minlou's Journey: 2 Week Update w/Pics!

#12 Post by minlou01 »

I think what many of us have to realise is, that having braces is huge for us, but in the busy lives of those around us ... well, they mostly couldn't care less. They have enough going on, and most don't have the energy to add our braces to their lives. Cool! 8) KK

So, so true KK!

Well, I'm at the 2 week mark and I am anxiously waiting for my first adjustment and to get my lowers braced! I just found out that I will be traveling for the majority of the summer after that so hopefully all goes well. I continue to see slow but steady progress...I can't wait to get the "real" arch wires on! Is it normal to go up a strength after 1 month of being braced? That is what I am really hoping for. I am a nanny and I know that when I am traveling with the family I am very, very busy caring for my young charges. So, I'm hoping to get the painful/uncomfortable adjustments over with while traveling. That way I am distracted and don't really have any time to focus on the pain/discomfort.

Day 4

Day 14

6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Wired Skull

#13 Post by Wired Skull »

Totally agree to your and KK's thoughts about feeling insecure or embaressed. I felt the same way at first but then just started smiling and showing everyone what was going on behind my lips. Not a single person have made a remark. Just a couple of people saying:
- Oh, you have braces.

I thought a lot of people would bombard me with questions but so far it seems that everyone is just noticing them and then move along.

If you thinking of getting braces and are afraid of what other will say or if you think they will stop you from dating I can only say:

- Go for it. No one cares if you have braces.
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/

Laurie

#14 Post by Laurie »

I've decided to just start smiling with my teeth showing anyways. At least people know I'm trying to fix the situation.

Both my lateral teeth overlap my central teeth as you one tooth does. I don't know about you but I'm so anxious for that to be remedied.

Lil Sunshine

#15 Post by Lil Sunshine »

I am sporting my smile the same as you Laurie. Proud as can be cause I am trying to fix it and I know it wont be bad for much longer, well maybe a few years but hey what is that compared to a lifetime.

Minlou...I think that you are having great progress and cant wait to watch your progress over the next few months.

How long is your treatment estimated to last for right now?
[/url]

Uppers Braced - June 13, 2007
Lowers Braces - June 20, 2007