braces here i come

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

allysakiss

braces here i come

#1 Post by allysakiss »

ok, so i am new to this braces thing and i am in my 3rd day of spacers and hating it! thank god i read that some people think spacers were the worst part cause i was a little worried! i usually can handle pain well but not so much when its in my mouth. i was afraid i would od on motrin by the time this whole experience is over! so anyways, my story begins... i am almost 22, i am paying for braces myself and i am more than ready to finally have a pretty smile! i am really not worried about what other people say about me looking like a 12 yr old again, more worried about the pain and discomfort that comes along with braces. i guess as i begin my journey i will have lots of questions and hopefully get lots of good feedback from everyone! thanks so much in advance for any suggestions and tips! :)

Laurie

#2 Post by Laurie »

I'm on my third day of spacers as well! When is your appointment for braces?

allysakiss

#3 Post by allysakiss »

well, i am supposed to get them put on may 31st. as long as everything goes smoothly i should be ready that day. i am however praying it does not hurt as much as the spacers do! i feel like such a baby but it seems like even with motrin the pressure is not relieved. i am also haveing a hard time eating! :(

Laurie

#4 Post by Laurie »

Mine are due on the 29th. It will be neat having someone with a really close brace day to chat with.

From all I have read if you can handle the spacers you can handle the braces. Hang in there!

plasticwings

#5 Post by plasticwings »

Hey there!

I had the same problem with spacers. Actually, I finally got use to them after the 5 or 6th day of having to wear them.
As for the pain with braces... To be honest, I've had braces on for about a week now, and they are far from painful. They actually aren't that bad. You may be sore for a few days (it varies from person to person), but you'll get use to it. Just don't forget to use the wax that they give you and clean your pearlies regularly. Oh, and doing salt water rinses.

Good luck! :lol:

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

Allysakiss

Welcome as well.

I have to say the spacers for me were def. worse. I would say they started off as really annoying by me wanting to just go in there and take them out....then about 2 days later it was not only annoying but absolutely uncomfortable to eat a thing!

With braces (mind you I only have the top) I have had maybe 2 uncomfortable days where my teeth felt sensitive. The only thing that was hard was getting used to the new gadgets surrounding your teeth. At first it's going to feel extremely wierd but trust me you'll get used to it very quickly.

I am 17 days in and barely know they're there (minus when I'm eating and things get caught up in them and sometimes I have a tendency to bite my lips or cheeks for some reason). But other then that so far so good!

you'll be fine! And I too had a problem with the cleats in the beginning but they're not so bad anymore. I may still ask my ortho if they're needed but at this rate they're not really a problem. I only find them to bother my tongue when my mouth is super dry. So just always stay hydrated as much as possible.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

allysakiss

follow up

#7 Post by allysakiss »

Hello there!
and thanks to all who welcomed me! this site is wonderful, im so glad there is such great information and support available! i must say today has been a great day with my spacers, finally a day w/o motrin :) yay mee. and what better i could eat today. however, the pain in my mouth will be back on thursday when i get my braces put on. :( i know i will be ok... think positive and just keep invisioning a beautiful smile. :lol:
i will be sure to take everyones pointers to the back of my mind and remember to stay hydrated. it makes so much sense! duhh :roll:
well friends. im off. chat with ya soon. and hopefully i can figure out how to get some pics on here so yall can see my progress!

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

ImageGood luck today!

cssteam904

Welcome

#9 Post by cssteam904 »

I know for me, the spacers were the worst part. Welcome aboard and I cant wait to see what you think about having braces on! WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!

CSSTEAM
A thing of beauty is JOY forever.

allysakiss

ok guys i did it

#10 Post by allysakiss »

:pinkbraces:
im official! today was my B-day! so far my mouth is just ok, feels VERY FULL! hehe. besides the typical pressure my gums are killin! the lady who was workin on me was not soft handed by any means, and when she was putting the bands around my back teeth she couldnt get them to fit right so they had to be taken out like 6 or 7 times each. :x not fun. sooo 2 1/2 hrs in the chair and i am finally brced. actually im stuffing my face right now because the motrin i took this am is still workin so i wanna be nice and full so im not STARVING tonight when i cant eat! :-= as much as i love food this is going to be tuff! i must say i am a little sad i didnt get my electric toothbrush today, apparently my ortho gives a spify sonicare brush but they were all out today so i have to wait till my next appt. to get it :( o well. well...... im back to stuffing my face and drinking lots of water! i will keep yall posted. cheers :-88

Laurie

#11 Post by Laurie »

:dance: Congrats!

Although I'm jealous about getting a nice Sonicare toothbrush!

allysakiss

#12 Post by allysakiss »

thanks everyone! :lol: yesterday was not too bad, i think the worst part was waking up this am with dry mouth! :shock: tell me thats not comfortable! i did find some soft foods at the store for the next few days so i should be cool on the eating part... now its just going to take time. time is all i have now 8)

cmm1280

#13 Post by cmm1280 »

Congratulations!!! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:
I was also in the chair a LONG time getting braced....3 HOURS! It was crazy, but it really isn't bad after you get used to them. Most of the time I forget that I even have braces! :shock:

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

allysakiss

#14 Post by allysakiss »

hey yall!
ok i survived my first weekend in braces... i must say my teeth feel just fine. not too much pressure (actually not any pressure on my teeth) :D HOWEVER, my cheeks are killin! i have been using the wax and its just not cuttin it. its cuttin my mouth! i think the worst part is the inside of the bands around my molars. i just dont understand why they would be so sharp considering they rub on your tongue!! its like duhhh. o and the worst part is when i wake up! my mouth is so dry i litterly have to peel my cheeks off my braces! not good times let me tell u! :cry:
as for food, im still eating soft foods... but not really by choice. i have noticed that most of the foods i do regularly eat are pretty soft! i love fruit so this weekend i had some peaches and pears and bananas of course. i did try some steak and chicken too. it wasnt so bad but the chicken was a lot easier. i think today im going to do lots of the salt water rinses to try and help the cuts in my mouth. other than that i think the best part is the shock i get from my friends when they see me!
i saw my old manager last night and he was totally shocked. it was great i must say. and my boyfriend still loves me so what more can i ask for?
i will keep yall posted!
cheers

allysakiss

#15 Post by allysakiss »

hummmm. well thanks for the advise. i will give it a few more days then i will call. it does not seem to bother me on the one side near as much as the other side. it is really affecting the way i talk though cause my tounge keep getting stuck on that little bugger! o well. wax it up right? :o