Expander is on, is it working?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poppinslp

Expander is on, is it working?

#1 Post by poppinslp »

So I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to my teeth. My husband tells me that I am far too narotic about it all.

I had my expander for my upper teeth put on last week and at first I thought OK, its going to hurt when I turn the key, which it does but I am also getting a bit of a headache now.

I am wondering whether it is working or not and what happens if it doesn't work and I keep on turning the key. My Orthodontist is quite vague about it so I am wondering if any of you can help me with this. I know that if its working you will see a gap but I have braces on and I am not sure if that will stop the gap from appearing.

I am seeing my dentist tomorrow to see if it is working, he said normally he would see me after two weeks but I am going on vacation next week so he has to see me tomorrow.

If any of you can help me with what pains to expect I would really appreciate it. Thank you :?

Filip

#2 Post by Filip »

My experience after almost 4 months with an expander (no surgery) is that it works when a) your teeth begin to hurt (it means something is moving), b) always when you can feel a slight tightening when you turn the key (I did it once a day for a month), and utlimately by taking progress pics every day made me see the changes week by week.

I did not get a gap b/w my front teeth.

Regarding the tipping issue mentioned previously, it's correct. The teeth are not supposed to move, but rather the bone that they attach onto. However, there will "always" be some kind of movement of the teeth due to the pressure put on the bone. In my case, the pain subsided after 1 week.