MissJoey UPDATE (page 2)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissJoey

MissJoey UPDATE (page 2)

#1 Post by MissJoey »

Hello Everyone,

I'm MissJoey, and on Thursday of this week I will be going in to my orthodontist for my molding and spacers to be put in, and on Monday, March 12, I will have my braces put on. Wow! It's kind of weird saying it like that. My teeth aren't really that bad, in fact, the problems I am having are: a slight overbite, a narrow bite on the top which has caused some crowding, and a few crossbites on the right side of my mouth. So, I will be getting full top and bottoms, plus an expander in roof of my mouth to widen my top bite. I'm excited, but at the same time, I'm a bit aprehensive. I'm 22 years old, and I will be graduating from college in June. I realize that I don't want to have braces in my commencement portraits, but I still should have it done while I'm still on my parents' insurance coverage. Go figure.
My main concern at this point is how I will look. My 8 year-old brother just had his braces put on, which really encouraged me to do the same. I hope there is somebody out there with some advice for me. I see braces on people all the time, and I often hope that I won't look like them because the braces look so LOUD on them. I want to be as discreet as possible. As of now, I've decided to get the metal braces because they are cheaper. Someone let me know what you think before I begin this journey. I'm African American with a round face (I guess) and I am heavy set. I'm in my early twenties, I want there to be as many positive memories as possible :wink: Thanks a lot!!!

Que tengan un buen dia!!!
Last edited by MissJoey on Tue May 01, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MissJoey

#2 Post by MissJoey »

Thanks so much you guys!!! Yes, I did think about getting the clears on the top, but they're like $450 extra!!! That's a whole lot. So, I thought I'd just take the chance. Earlier today I thought to myself that I'd really hate not to do it now and look back on this time and totally regret it, you know? I told my older brother that I was getting braces on the 12 of this month, and he said, "Whoa, you're way too old for those, plus, your teeth look just fine." I'm doing this for me and no one else, in fact, my best friend had to remind me of that. So I decided that I would make decisions based on what MissJoey wants and nothing else. It's just tough as hell being right in between being a kid and the real world. It's tough, but I'm still on board, and as of now, yes I'm a bit scared, but I'm going to do it.

MissJoey

#3 Post by MissJoey »

Hey guys,

Today is the big day! I go in in about 2 hours to change my life. I keep looking in the mirror to see the last glimpses of the 'before' shot. I know I'll forget how I used to look. I'm so scared. I am definitely afraid of how I'll look. So I'll snap a few shots of myself before I go so that I can always remember. Gosh, this is such a huge thing for me. Everyone wish me luck please!!! To all the Christians, pray for me!

MissJoey

Marley

#4 Post by Marley »

MissJoey - Good luck! I totally understand how you feel (I'm sure we all do!) I have to tell you, looking in the mirror afterwards was a CRAZY shock! Trust me.. after a few days, the shock wears off!!

The journey starts!

MissJoey

#5 Post by MissJoey »

Hello to all of my braced buddies!!!

I'm finally part of your world. I had my braces put on. What an experience, a good one though. The spacers help to move my teeth apart, which made it easier to slide the metal bands on.
I was so worried about how I would look. I LOOK GREAT!!! There will be no adjusting to my looks, or getting used to it. The main thing I'll be getting used to is simply feeling them in my mouth, using the wax, and changing my overall oral health habits. I feel good. There is a little discomfort, but not really painful. One side is a little more tender than the other, but I've got Advil on hand. There's so much more that I've experienced in just today alone, but I wanted to post a message to let you guys know that everything worked out well today. I'm going to try and post some pictures soon so that you can get a good idea of what changes will occur. Thanks for reading, gotta go rinse with warm salt water now!!! YAY!!!!! I DID IT!

MissJoey

MissJoey

#6 Post by MissJoey »

Today I was a little more tender, but nothing near unbearable. I took a couple of Advil just in case, but there was no throbing or anything. I've also been using TONS of wax (this is day 2 and I've already almost completely run out!). :)

I am having a couple other problems, though. The ends of the bands that point out have been killing my jaws like crazy. The insides of the bands have been chaffing my tongue, which is also very painful. I've been rinsing with warm salt water like Karen said, but today, my lips and cheeks were chaffed so badly that it burned me terribly. I was basically putting salt into a fresh wound. It hurt like a mo-fo! :shock:

So I'm really doing my best to floss, brush correctly. I feel as though I'm forming great new habits, brushing after every meal, and even using a special polish frommy orthodontist to help make the teeth less sensitive to temperature extremes.

If there is any advice that anyone can give me on any other habits that would be helpful? Don't hold back. Please let me know. I'm hurting, and I'm looking forward to relief. BUT I'M STILL SO VERY HAPPY!!! :D

MissJoey

MissJoey

#7 Post by MissJoey »

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Yes! I do use TOOO much salt while rinsing, I KNOW I do. Next time, I'll use a pinch of it and add more water. That sounds about right. The bands aren't bothering me at all now, so that's great news. Its just the hooks that stands off of them. I've got wax on it right now as I speak (or type, LOL!). So this has really help a LOT! I'll have to stock up on this wax stuff because it is a real life saver. I left the wax on yesterday when I ate, but when I was done, the wax was gone!!! I had eaten it. I called my ortho office, and they [i]said[/i] I would be okay. I'm still scared of swalowing it.
I will definitely be sure to use the little brush thingy for the in between cleaning. I don't notice too much of a visual difference when I use it, but I know its getting the job done.

Thank you Karen!!! I will follow this advice starting tonight!!! :D I feel so much better now!

MissJoey

#8 Post by MissJoey »

I am having so trouble chewing. I can only chew on ONE side of my mouth, and it's getting pretty irritating. I'm still having discomfort on the other side because it feels like the metal band on top is either too tight, or it's still creating space between the teeth. I've really got to know what is going on with me. I mean, things are still tender, but I'm not in excruciating pain or anything. It's only when I bite down hard enough to actually chew something when I really feel like my nerves are tender. Is this normal? I'm doing all I can to take care of myself, including using the wax on very tender spots. Someone please let me know if there's anything I can do. Oh yeah, and by the way...I WILL be posting pictures very soon!!!

Elyse84

#9 Post by Elyse84 »

Tenderness is totally normal. The best thing to do is very carefully chew on the side of your mouth that is hurting - chewing definitely helps stop the pain. And go easy on the steak etc for a while! It took me one week before I could eat totally normally. :-)

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

MissJoey

#10 Post by MissJoey »

Hey all,

Can anyone tel me how to post pics? I've finaly dug out my camera and I'm ready to post pics, just can't figure out how to upload them. Thanks!

MissJoey

MissJoey

#11 Post by MissJoey »

Hello All,

Just wanted to update you guys to let you know that the tenderness in my mouth is basically gone. I can no chew in ALL of my mouth now, and it feels really great! One tooth here or there may get a little loose, but by the next day they are stronger and more set. I've taken pictures, I'm still on the imagebucket thingy trying to get them up. Other than that, I'm doing better.

MissJoey

MissJoey

#12 Post by MissJoey »

Last month on the 9th ( I think), I had my first adjustment. I'm bot sure when I'll have my expander placed in, but I do worry for whenever that is. I don't want any major gaps, so I'm still lying in wait for that.
The tender was pretty strong, and it took about a good couple of weeks for it to completely go away. I'm fine now, but man!!! 2 more years of this?! Bring it on baby...

MissJoey

P.S. I hope all is well with everyone. Impossible is nothing.

sifumacho
Location: i came from Malaysia,but now i'm studying in Russia =]

#13 Post by sifumacho »

Just wanted to update you guys to let you know that the tenderness in my mouth is basically gone. I can no chew in ALL of my mouth now, and it feels really great!
it seems that you dont have problem with the molar bands anymore!luckily you have gotten used to it.. :D

anyway..2 years are long period of time..but you wont feel the time as you'll excited seeing the progress of your teeth..goodluck anyway!