Acrobat's story - My fabulous teenage smile :)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acrobat

Acrobat's story - My fabulous teenage smile :)

#1 Post by acrobat »

Hey everybody!

Some may remember me from earlier post about 6 weeks ago, when i was at the very beginning of my journey and was collecting more information. Now i have made my decision and i'm getting my upperbraces tomorow!

I'm a 22 year old student and i will graduate this summer. Sometimes i think i couldn't have picked a worse moment in life to start with this since i will have a lot of job interviews coming up, but on the other hand, i don't want to wait longer, the sooner i'm doing this the longer i will benefit from it!

I have a 9mm overjet (7 mm actually, but because the upper front teeth are also sticking out 2mm it comes to 9). I will wear braces for a 12 till 18months now, then follows lowerjaw advancement and then six months more in braces for the final touch.

I had the option for ceramic for the upper teeth, but decided to go full metal...i can't really explain why, my feeling told me this would be the best for me. This doesn't mean that i'm all confident about it, but right now i can't imagine how i will look like, so i won't worry about it too much, tomorow i have them and then i have almost 2 years to get used to it! :lol:

I want to thank everybody on this forum already, i've been reading here for the last two months and it helped me a lot! I hope to bring a positive contribution myself now :)

Pictures will follow later!

acrobat

#2 Post by acrobat »

hmm maybe it's because i had a quite ok teenage time that i don't mind to look like one again?
Or maybe it's because when i was a teenager everybody got braces and i couldn't get them because my parents couldn't afford it at that time, i was so jealous of all those 'cool' metal smiles back then.
I would of course prefer to have good teeth by now, but all in all i'm glad i get the opportunity to fix my bite now, even if it means two years in braces. Let's say i'm cacthing up with the part of teenagehood (can you say that?) that i missed ;)

hehe, i saw your advice in so many posts, but i was always too lazy to get through it, but now i'm really glad you take the time to post it again just for me. Thanks! :D

And have fun in Brisbane!

Clo

#3 Post by Clo »

Hi,

if all went well, you now have (upper) braces. Tell us, how did it go ?
I am glad you made the decision to start treatment now. Don't worry about this
being the worst moment in your life. There will always be something that goes on
that could be the reason to wait. Later on, it could be work, or a relation or a marriage
or kids or ...

I also have about 7 mm of overjet. But mine is now about 5 mm because my upper
teeth slant inwards a bit (due to a lot of elastics I had in the past). So we have a bit
the same issue to deal with.

It is great that now we have here another member from Belgium. At least now
I feel a bit less lonely in some way. So, welcome and best of luck !

acrobat

#4 Post by acrobat »

yep, i have my upper braces!!!!

strangely enough i wasn't nervous at all the day before. I think i was just relieved that it would finally happen. The same for yesterday when they were finally put on. At the ortho things went fine, it didn't seem to take that long. One little moment of worrying was when he asked for my final decision on metal or ceramics. He showed me both and the ceramics (well, they weren't ceramic, they were some sort of plastic?) didn't look that spectacular, but mostly i just didn't want to think about it again so i followed my feeling and went for metal. And the funny thing is, it so doesn't matter once they are in your mouth, i'll never know the difference with the white ones!

So, when i left the orhto i didn't feel much pressure, but it did feel strange on my teeth and lip, it sure is a mouth full of metal!
Then by the evening it started to hurt a bit, especially when i tried to chew something and later that night i felt like some of my teeth would fall out. But i remember all this from previous braces experiences, so no worries.

Now i have the braces for 24 hours, i feel the pressure but it's not like pain as long as i don't try to chew anything. this afternoon i'm going to the supermarket, see what njummie things they have that you don't have to chew, i'm looking forward to it :D

The only thing that really bothers me is some metal thing on the inside of my teeth (i'll try to explain it...). i have these metal rings around my...molars? and they have a short metal wire sticking out on the inside , so my tongue keeps touching it and that hurts a lot (i'm not sure if it is the end of the archwire?
i'm using wax now.

I must say, all in all, it feels quite natural. when i woke up this morning i could barely feel i had them on, but now i'm more conscious about them again. But i'm sure i'll get used to it soon.
Now i just hope that others will too, the reactions so far haven't been that great. Tonight i'm going out, i'm nervous but also very curious about what people will say. But you can be sure i will look my best just with braces this time :lol: