AMD-Wearing thru Bite Pads?!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amd

AMD-Wearing thru Bite Pads?!

#1 Post by amd »

Hi everyone. I've been in braces now just over a week :dance: . I had the cement stuff put on two molars to prevent me from biting off my brackets (deep underbite). On Tuesday of this week I went back in to the ortho's and they rebuilt them because my teeth were hitting each other (it hurt). When they were finished my front uppers and bottoms were at least 2 mm apart.
Here's my dilema- it's now saturday and my upper & lowers (front) are smacking on each other again! I've always known that I grind my teeth but geeze louise. If I'm going through cement this fast I'm surprised I have any teeth left. I know I'm grinding/clenching because my teeth are sore from the braces so when they bash into each other when I'm sleeping it wakes me up :soremouth: !

Has anyone else had a problem with wearing out the cement bite pads? Are there other options? I don't want to have to keep going in every week.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Sounds like you must be doing a lot of grinding there, amd!

Some people with a deep overbite are given a bite plate or bite turbos to wear early in treatment.

Or maybe a nightguard would help.

Perhaps phone your ortho on Monday and explain what's going on, and ask if there's anything else that can be done so you don't have to keep going back every week for molar build-ups.

Sweetie

sorry

#3 Post by Sweetie »

Hi
I am really sorry to hear that is happening to you. I am not familiar with that cement pad in your back teeth yet, but this coming Friday I will get them too, due to a deep bite. I also think grind my teeth at night so lets see how it goes for me. I will definitely ask my doctor what specific he will use, in that way I will let you know if it’s different from yours.

Sweetie

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

Well, get a retainer :D

It does very good job opening my bite!
It opens my so much that I can put my tongue between my molars.
That is the only positive thing I say about it, though.

amd

#5 Post by amd »

Platinum: In some ways I wish I could have a retainer, however everything I've read about them suggests they are only for use when the patient has an overbite/overjet. I don't. Placing a retainer behind my upper fronts would do nothing as my uppers close behind my lowers! So... I'm going to call the ortho tomorrow and see what she says. Last night I woke up because I had a piece of the cement floating around - I had dislogged it somehow. I have to admit I like the pads being smaller because I can speak and eat better but if I'm not careful my front teeth start hitting each other and that is just a wee bit uncomfortable!
amd

amd

#6 Post by amd »

Meryaten- how funny you reply to my post as I am reading your journal! :lol: I'm on my way to see the ortho this morning. I really wanted to try and wait as long as I could but again I woke up during the night with my teeth stuck together!! :yikes: I've got one really sore tooth from it being smashed into all night :ouch: . They say this is stress related. Ghee, I'm looking at surgery, starting my own business and my youngest is in winter sick mode. Gosh, I can't imagine what I could possibly be stressed about :crazy: ?!
amd