Smile Like You Mean It-Rebelda's Story: Upd. Sep. 16!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebelda

#91 Post by Rebelda »

Good news to report...I'm not in pain! I am so happy that I feel good...The root canal was done without a hitch and I didn't feel a thing. The only thing that bothered me was the high-frequency "scraper"--it was one of the most chilling sounds i've ever heard. I do need to get a permanent filling installed (my ortho will need to remove and replace the bracket on the tooth) and it's scheduled for the 6th of February. I am very very happy that I got it over with and things are looking up again. So, I'll be seeing my ortho (hopefully) one day ahead of schedule. I really hope that they do more than just take pictures. We'll see.....

Miss Smiley

#92 Post by Miss Smiley »

Very good! Told you you'd be fine! People should be more worried about the cost of a root canal rather than the procedure itself, don't you think? Next stop, FILLING! Hopefully they just put a filling instead of trying to crown it! Good luck!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Rebelda

February update so far...

#93 Post by Rebelda »

Hola everyone...I finally got my (semi)permanent filling for that root canal the day before yesterday. As it turns out, my Ortho thought it would be best if I got a regular filling for now, since the crown would be fitted for the bite I have now and not for what my bite will be like after surgery. So yeah i got it done, no problem. Thank god. I had my appt today with my ortho...nothing very special--molds. The supervising ortho took a look at my progress and said I should be ready for surgery soon. I expect to hear from my ortho either tomorrow or Monday. I really hope he gives me the thumbs up so I can book my next surgeon appt. So till then...bye!

Miss Smiley

#94 Post by Miss Smiley »

Nice progress! I can't believe how far your teeth have come in such a short time!

Rebelda

#95 Post by Rebelda »

Check out this neat little trick! Yeah it sucks. Very uncomfortable. This is supposed to help tilt my molars back in. It's "unconventional" as my ortho put it, but let's hope it works. Yup, I got 3 bags of those little elastics today so I can torture myself for the rest of the week. I got a call from my ortho yesterday explaining what he wanted to do, so I immediately booked an appointment. I will be a making a future visit to my ortho's office to check the progress on Monday. I can feel a difference already, I really hope I don't have to do this for long.

Come on molars, move it!!! :x

Miss Smiley

#96 Post by Miss Smiley »

How in the world does that rubber band stay there without popping off when you close your mouth? I know bands have cleats but I would think that the movement of the tongue would fling it out of your mouth or down your throat. Kudos to you for being able to land that trick.

missnomer

#97 Post by missnomer »

Rebelda,

After I saw your photo I thought that would be really difficult to deal with. Just for kicks I tried a couple of my elastics in a similar configuration. I had to go from outside hooks on my molar bands. I think my elastics are way too small for it because there was immediate pressure and my tongue kept getting in the way. I lasted about two minutes.

I hope your stay in these elastics is a short one. You are to be commended for being able to deal with this unconventional elastics config.

Rebelda

#98 Post by Rebelda »

Miss Smiley & missnomer:

Yes it is quite interesting to say the least. I have to hook the elastic on the outer hooks of my molar bands: 2 on the right and one on the left (because i had the other on the left side taken out). Speaking is quite difficult and hurts the tongue. My tongue is trapped in a very tiny space--no fun at all!

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? If so, how long did you have to wear it for?

victor36

#99 Post by victor36 »

Hi Rebelda,

When I first started treatment, I had to wear elastics in the back, but nothing quite like what you've got going there. Yeah elastics will break all the time back there, and I can speak from experience when I say eating them won't harm you. :D I had to wear those for the first 6 months of treatment to widen my upper arch and narrow down my lower arch, it sucked but it worked. I hope this config is short-lived and effective at reaching your ortho's goals.

Till next time,

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

Andantae

#100 Post by Andantae »

Hey Rebelda!

I was here earlier, but apparently, I forgot to post a message. Either I am just a little absent minded or perhaps I passed out at my computer from shock over your new torture elastic configuration and I just came to. :D

YIKES! I am so curious how and why individual orthos choose different methods to correct the same issue. I had a similar issue. You are going to see your ortho tomorrow, right? Well, it's very encouraging that you can feel it working already----maybe it won't be much longer!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Rebelda

#101 Post by Rebelda »

so yeah...sorry about the delay, but I did have my appt on Monday and here's how it went:

"2 more weeks"

sucks, but if it makes me ready for surgery sooner, then I'm all for it. So March 5 is the next appt, hopefully it will bring some good news. I'll try to post some update pics soon, for you guys and for me to track my molar movement. Ok, gracias!

Mmmmuuaa

#102 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Hey Rebelda. Your teeth are looking really good. Hang in there with the elastic back there. I think I'd be gagging alot, ha ha ha.

Rebelda

#103 Post by Rebelda »

6 more days....and it can't come soon enough! I am really getting fed up with the elastic. My tongue has been rubbed raw and my mouth is constantly dry. I really really hope that it don't have to use it anymore after my next appt.

Thank you to those with encouraging words---I'm trying to hang in there...but it's getting tough. I'll be ok--oh and did I mention I caught a nice flu bug going around my workplace? Yeah it's fun. Imagine trying to sneeze with this thing in your mouth? Oh man--stuff just goes flying everywhere! Fun Fun. I've been in bed for a couple of hours and I plan on getting some much needed rest. Hope you guys are doing better than I am....till the 5th! Peace.

SGPWired

#104 Post by SGPWired »

Best of luck - you are half way there!!!

Miss Smiley

#105 Post by Miss Smiley »

SO how is that elastic coming along?