Sam's story! - One Year Update

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chillin-in-grilz

#46 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

OOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!! I am now dreading my 1st adjustment !!! :yikes:
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

lemonlyme

#47 Post by lemonlyme »

Hey there! Nice expansion..I just finished mine up Monday yey!! I dont know if i could go have it put back in though.. It's too nice having my mouth back :o Good luck finishing up :)

chillin-in-grilz

#48 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

LOl I guess
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

samantha_lou

#49 Post by samantha_lou »

lemonlyme wrote:Hey there! Nice expansion..I just finished mine up Monday yey!! I dont know if i could go have it put back in though.. It's too nice having my mouth back :o Good luck finishing up :)
I'd kinda known for a long time that I'd be having a second expander, and since we've come this far - might aswell see it through! I'm not too worried about it! :P

samantha_lou

#50 Post by samantha_lou »

Its back to the Ortho tomorrow, to get my expander cemented! At least I get to have those darn spacers out. I was in quite a lot of pain up until yesterday, but today things have calmed down. I'm definitely looking forward to moving on with my treatment, and getting to the point where I can start with elastics and really get working on that bite.

samantha_lou

#51 Post by samantha_lou »

I went in and had my expander cemented tonight, and my Ortho turned it once before I left the office. Its not bothering me too much at the moment, it sure feels like I have a lot of junk in my mouth though. My speech has definitely been affected, and there is a lot of unnecesary drool being mass produced - apparently the expander seems quite digestable to some part of my body. My only real complaint about it, is that I can't bite down and get any contact now - as I end up biting on some metal tubes on the bracket. I'll have to see if I can cope with it, and get used to it, it is opening up my bite but I'm not sure its supposed to or not.

Eating is fun, whilst I was at the ortho appointment, my husband made us a pizza for dinner (actually made it from scratch, rather than store bought or ordered it, far healthier that way - and way less cheese and grease!), it took me a long time to finish my two slices - and each bite had to be washed down with water. But I don't think I've totally forgotten how to eat with an expander, as it wasn't as awful as the first time I tried eating with my first expander last year.

All in all, I'm very happy to have the expander and I hope that the open state of my bite due to how the expander sits will solve my crossbite!

Lisa65

#52 Post by Lisa65 »

Looking good Sam, and I hope expander number 2 soon does its job and sorts that crossbite out before too long!

samantha_lou

Been and whilst - time for an update

#53 Post by samantha_lou »

Hey guys, thought it was about time I updated this thread! Not too much has been happening, definitely now getting used to the RPE - my tongue is not longer being torn to shred and both speech and eating have returned to normal, but I definitely had fun with the word "opportunity" for a whilst, most amusing. My only real complaint at this time are my lips, they are always dry, sore and painful no matter what products I use or how hydrated I manage to stay. I'm still experiencing some inflammation around the gums between one of centrals and laterals - and it still bleeds when I floss. Am going back to the ortho next Saturday (June 9th) for an adjustment, after nearly six weeks of being free! I'm sure he will be most suitably impressed by the gap or diastema that I now have between my front two teeth. I feel like such a nerd, haven't had a gap in my front teeth since I was like seven years old and they first grew through!

Miss Smiley

#54 Post by Miss Smiley »

Look at that progress! I feel you on the gaps... :GapToothed:
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

samantha_lou

#55 Post by samantha_lou »

Thanks for all the advice on my lips, will try very gently brushing them to remove dead skin and encourage new cell growth! As for my gum, its been irritated literally since I got braces and I have no idea why - I really don't believe it to be all that directly affected, its in one of the easier flossing locations. Perhaps I am brushing too vigorously around the bracket and catching the gum line too severely... I think my fave hygeniest is in this weekend when I go, so will try and sneak over to her with no wires on so she can see! hehe!

samantha_lou

#56 Post by samantha_lou »

Well, its a been little whilst since I updated - but not too much has been going on. I went back this morning for an adjustment, and ended up being there about an hour. My favourite thing is that I got to floss and clean with no wires in, which was quite a treat! I then got a fresh wire on the top, I think I've got down a bit in strength back to a 0.14 NiTi - as we're getting ready to put the wire in the [6]'s and [7]'s - but it wouldn't go in today. I did get fresh powerchains on top, still split at the very front.

The biggest news is the elastics, I now have Cathys on each side pulling the upper and lower [5]'s into place together and closing up my bite in that area, they feel really tight - I can't really open my mouth too wide with them in. I'm supposed to eat with them, and then just change them when I brush my teeth - I guess we'll see how that goes! LOL

Hope everyone else is doing well and having lots of wonderful progress!

samantha_lou

#57 Post by samantha_lou »

Well, its officially been one year as of today! I still have no real idea when he expects they'll come off - they'll be done when they're ready! Not too much to update though, just getting there slow and steady with the bite. I did get new powerchains on the lowers today [3] to [3], and they're feeling a bit sore tonight! Will try to post some photos soon!