onnys braces journey in detail *updated with 6th adj. + PIC*

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

onny

onnys braces journey in detail *updated with 6th adj. + PIC*

#1 Post by onny »

Hello dear readers,

I thought it would be nice to write down story like information too, as many others do too in this forum.

I will add alot of information by time to this thread. I begin with the past, the reason for this 2nd journey, the Bday and will the continue with each adjustment and maybe other appliances I will still get, like the expander and update it as soon as I get something interesting to tell or show.

The past:

I first time went to an orthodontist quite early. I don't remember my exact age, but I think 7 or 8. Some years later, I think with 9, I got 2 small loose braces without a full bow, just 4 small metal hooks. 2 Years later I have got a Bionator, which did alot of major work, it expanded both jaws and reformed several wrong aligns. After that I wore 2 normal Activators for top and bottom for a year, followed by the Essix retainers which I wore just at night and which got damaged after a year and I threw them away. They got holes in it, because of biting while sleeping.
Those braces did a good (not perfect) job that time, but later on I already realized it would have been much faster and less uncomfortable with fixed braces, and my ortho said she didn't do that, because everyone must prefer loose braces.. I didn't agree with her even when I was so young, but didn't say anything. My smaller sister got fixed braces then when I was done, at the same ortho and was done in 1/3 of the time of me (same faults as me)

Around 5 years later I realized the first time that my bite and my teeth aren't perfect anymore. I even got some crowded, rotated and twisted teeth again. Like the expansion went backwards slowly, like a compression. But I didn't saw any possibilities to let it done, I was still in school that time, earned to little money, and it was already hard to pay my small apartment, so I didn't even thought about a 2nd treatment that years.

By the years it then got worse unfortionately. Sometimes I even begun to have pain when biting, because I needed more power to get my molars bite properly together. Often my jaws hurt, especially after eating or sleeping. After a while it only was possible to bite with one side of my molars, not both anymore and some more minor rotation appeared to other teeth. It is just a matter of time until it gets worse and worse, which I realized then and decided I have to let it done by an ortho again. That was around 2-3 years ago. So I started to gather information, read in Forums, experiences from other adults, and more important the costs, because it seemed more or less impossible for me to safe so much money. But Where there's a will, there's a way. This always already was my phrase in my life, so I did Jobs and stuff to safe the money necessary for a treatment. Finally this Summer I knew I can start a treatment now and pay it =)

Prearrangement to 2nd Treatment:

While some years back, getting braced again was just a slight idea without a serious wish to really start a treatment, this year I started to bother more and more about my teeth and bite. At the beginning of this year I changed my dentist, because my earlier one was always to fast, not answering questions and not very careful thorough with my teeth. The new one doesn’t have the latest technical equipment, but takes much more time for me and works a bit more thoroughly. After getting fixed 2 small caries at the sides of my molars I asked for a professional dentist cleaning and made an appointment. The result was quite impressive. Absolutely zero tartar was detected, and just some slightly yellow deposits of smoking cigarettes which was removed by the cleaning pistol (water/salt beam shot on teeth) Somehow that day I must have thought about bleaching my teeth and somehow went to fixing my bite first and after checking my teeth in the mirror in detail, I realized I also have several crowd teeth too. The 12 and 22 teeth even begins to move in front of 11 and 21, which is the same teeth problem as my mom has, just she never fixed it and its nearly covering 11 and 21. I didn’t want it to come that way so I made an appointment with an orthodontic very close to my house. The next best sort of ;) Around 4 weeks later I went to the office.

It was a very strange feeling to be in an orthodontic office again after 10 years. There were some very young child’s with their parents and I had to fill out a patient paper with some questions. After 10 minutes of waiting I entered the room and the Doc asked me to sit down on the examination chair and then he asked what is the problem. I didn’t really knew what to say in detail, so I said I want him to check my bite and teeth alignment for any problems. So he did, he wrote down several things and explained me some minor problems. My main concern, my bite problem, he said about that he would not like to fix it, because that would mean a lot of effort and it is not worth the result, because my bite is still quite good, he claimed. I didn’t want to disagree immediately, so I asked for possibilities to fix the crowd teeth at least. He said to fix the 22 and 12, it would need either 1 year of Invisalign or 6 month in fixed braces from 13 to 23, followed by fix retainer. That kind of shocked me, because it didn’t include all the other rotated teeth. I paid him the 10 Euro and said I will think about it at home and maybe call him later. I never did.
I was quite disappointed at home, and rechecked my teeth in the mirror for a while and decided to make another appointment before going to accept the offer to let just 2 teeth fixed. My bite problem just bugged me to much and I was quite sure another ortho would like to treat it without a problem. It was still the same day I made an appointment with another office, led by a women, also very close, just 10 minute by foot. That are the only both offices in my district, if that 2nd meaning would be the same disappointed result and If I would want to ask a 3rd, it would be a 20-30 minute drive in the neighbor district to the next office.

Again 4 weeks of waiting, it was June by now and it was one day before I had my final exams in front of the German trade chamber committee. ;)
That office was a bit different, it was bigger and no one beside me was there. The receptionist was very kind and said her name is Anne. I gave her my insurance card and all information she required for my patient papers, which I completed then. It took us quite a while to find out my old orthodontist address and telephone number, which they required too. Of course I didn’t remember that after 10 years.
Then I finally seated at the doc and she asked me a lot of questions of my earlier treatment and I explained I was several years in Bionator and so on.. She investigated my mouth very well, which took a while and slowly came to a conclusion. I was so happy she first mentioned the bite problem, which doesn’t look so good and probably will get worse every year, until I some day damage my molars, jaws and all other teeth too. She also mentioned all crowded and rotated teeth and explained things very careful and detailed on a plastic mouth model and what an orthodontic treatment can do to me and what not. It was all I wanted, teeth straightening and bite fix. So I told her ok I want to get treated and she explained it would require the use of fixed braces, because this has the best efficiency to fix my problems, and asked if that would be ok for me. I agreed, because I already accepted the idea of fixed braces at home before. She explained the estimated cost of 2000 Euro and Top braces for 2 years and 1000 for lower braces for 1.5 years, if I want. An hour after joining the office I got a date for X-Ray, imprints and photographs and quite happy left the office.

Preparing for the Journey:

That next date was July the 17th and I came to the office with enthusiasm. She did again examine my mouth careful and again wrote down several things to my patient file. After that Anne (the receptionist and helper) did all X-Ray pictures with me and asked several personal questions. At that point this office felt more and more friendly to me. After having done the X-Ray pictures the doc took prints from my jaws, and again carefully explained the process, but I said I also know that procedure, I already was treated 10 years ago, so we smiled and did it. Followed by taking the photographs. Then we went to a white wall and checked the X-Ray pictures together. She immediately saw that my wisdom teeth are doing no good and pushing against my molars. One wisdom tooth even was rotated below the gum by nearly 90°. So it definitely had to be removed. I got some questions to ask my dentist and got the X-Ray picture with me.

2 weeks later I talked to my dentist about the X-Rays and gathered all information needed by my ortho and made another date at the ortho office.

Nearly 4 weeks later at August 25th I brought back the X-Ray pictures and informations to my ortho office, which asked a last final time if I want to start the treatment, which I of course agreed. So they started to work on the treatment plan.

2 weeks later at September 8th I finaly had the appointment to talk about the treatment plan. I went there again full of enthusiasm and sat down, got offered a coffee, but denied. She gave me 6 pages and begun to explain each detail. It was so much information that I had no chance to remember many questions, I was overwhelmed many things. For example did she now said that the treatment cannot be done in less than 3 years, and she explained that on my jaw models. Molar movement is very slow and it is quite a lot to move and rotate. These are all details about the planned treatment I got on that paper: (shortened and translated to english)

Anamnesis / case history
Permanent denture
increased caries sensitivity
18 extremely displaced

Diagnosis:
Cramped fronts top and bottom
Steeply 11 and 21
Rotated 14 and 24
Crossbite 15, 16 and 26
Neutralbite right side
Distalbite 1/2 leftside
Several crowded teeth

Therapy:
Extraction of of 18, 28, 38, 48 (Wisdom teeth)
Expanding of top jaw
Straighten of 11 and 21
Normalizing of 14 and 24 rotation and position
Remove crossbite
Reform bottom jaw front
Reconvert of bite

Epicrisis:
Multiband, expanding, Headgear and retention appliances, 36 months if good reactions and patient care.

Then the plan lists several details about material and payment, total estimated price:
3881 Euro (4970 US$, 6520 AUD, 2615 GBP)

Then I had to sign this treatment plan and some other papers which explain that I have to take a lot of care of my teeth hygiene and that its not guaranteed that the orthodontic treatment is successful. After signing everything and asking everything that came in my mind (I anyway forgot to ask a lot) I got several new appointments. Hygiene lessons. I first thought how boring, I anyway know how to good brush. But at least it was just a matter of time to finally get the treatment started.

September 19th, 26th, October 24th and 30th I then had these hygiene lessons, in which I had to first eat a plaque tab and then brush my teeth as usual with my home brush. I always produced a very good result, except for the inner side of 36-38 (bottom right molars and wisdom), which still remained with a blue color, indicating plaque that has not been brushed away. At the last meeting I finally learned how to handle that too with the right position of my brush in my hands.

November 1st I got 2 of my wisdom teeth extracted. 18 and 38 (right side). 18 is the tooth which is extremely rotated under the gum. Healing was very fast, I didn’t had a much swollen face and with some strong painkiller I felt as always, even had friends to visit me and a lot of fun. Just eating was more or less impossible.

November 5th I got the bandage exchanged, which closed the hole in my bottom jaw.

November 7th I got 8 spacers and it did hurt a bit to open my mouth so wide, because the wisdom extraction was just 6 days past. But fortunately everything has nearly healed totally. My mother that day was very skeptic about me getting braces the next day, because of the wisdom teeth extraction and still 2 of them to go several weeks later, she tried to persuade me to move the appointment to end of year or next year, but I said her no way, I waited so many month now to finally start the treatment and don’t want to wait another 8 weeks for the fixation appointment.

My B-Day! The Journey begins:

It is November the 8th – a date I thought about every single day the last 8 weeks. How will it be? How will it feel and look? I was mixed excited, nervous and even a slightly bit scared. The night before my B-Day I slept only 1 hour because I couldn’t fall asleep so early. (Fixation was planned for 8:30AM and I mostly work evening so its not my time) I already stand up 6AM and took some small breakfast; I couldn’t eat much because the spacer really hurt now. I also took a big Ibuprofen to prevent my jaw to hurt while the fixation. And then took a shower and prepared to go to the office.

I was 5 minutes earlier in the office and noone else was there, not even the women at the reception. I just sat down and waited, being a bit nervous. After a while my ortho showed up and said “You don’t need to be scared, just come inâ€
Last edited by onny on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#2 Post by onny »

Hello dear readers,

it is quite a while since I posted an update about my braces journey, so I will do that now. I just didn't felt like talking about braces all day after the first week in it. :)

In the meanwhile i had 2 regular adjustments and 2 unregular meetings. The remaining 2 wisdom teeth were extracted too and everything has healed perfectly.

Some week after getting the braces I broke the first bracket with a tasty but hard baguette. So I had to get it fixed. The same happened with a pizza I forgot in the oven and ate it anyway, so another popped off bracket a month later. Now I'm avoiding rock hard food...

The first regular adjustment was disappointing. It was just a quick checkup and nothing else. It felt like the braces didn't do any work anymore so I forgot about them totaly.

The 2nd appointment was a bit more complicated, it was a 2 hour planned seating. (Feb12+13th/2007) Unfortionately I missed the date so it was moved some weeks (March21+22nd/2007), which was last week then. At first I got the damn spacers again (how much I hate them!) and a day later I got 4 new bands on the 7th teeth and 2 stronger wires. I saw the box this time, it said "Dentaflex 38 flexible wire", then I took pink colored ligatures and went home and the 3 days after I had really hard pain and could barely eat a soup... :( Right now the pain mostly wore off.

It is still a long way to go, but at least there are first success messages: The two screwed front teeth on the top jaw are already nearly 100% fixed, but thats it, the bite still is as bad as always.

Oh and I bought a small shower for cleaning the teeth, one of those you connect to the sink directly. A great device and it did just cost 12 Euro (15$ ~) I cant believe I ever lived without such a great cleaning device! I can just strongly recommend anyone to buy such a small wonderful piece too!

When I find some time I will look through some pictures and make some new to post them here for comparing reason and show the fixed two front teeth :D
Youll hear from me. Feel free to message me. =)
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Onny

Glad to hear things are going well. :D

onny

#4 Post by onny »

Thx and congratz for being a nonsmoker for a month already! ;D
I hate this damn drug addiction on myself so much and for sure will follow you soon :)
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

chillin-in-grilz

#5 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Wow incredible story!
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

onny

Facepics

#6 Post by onny »

Hi,

I thought some may want to see some facepics of me so I will post two of the pics I took today...

*edit* pics cut out
Sorry, I did this because it is not recommended to post facepics, due to stealing and posting on fetish sites, where I don't want my pics to end on..
Last edited by onny on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#7 Post by onny »

Hm :o that sounds not acceptable to me.. Thank you for the tip. I will remove the pics tomorow, to bad ...

BTW, i wore the elastics just for 2 minutes so no prob . They were annoying anyway ;)
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#8 Post by onny »

Wow, really long time no update from me. Nearly 4 Months. But my braces got so boring, I really didnt felt like explaining every single detail of the standard procedures of the monthly adjustments which all of you can read a thousand times of other people here as well and in more detail.

But I anyway want to give a status report, because its nearly a year since I got my braces now:

May07 was my 3rd adjustment. First shock: I got 6 Kobayashi wires (Thats metal ligatures with a hook) and had to wear two elastics 24/7. (I think I shouldnt have played with them some days ago, my orthodontist must be able to read minds ;)) Anyway the first days were quite annoying, but then I didnt felt the elastics anymore and really did them in for 24/7, even for eating. Changed them 3 times a day. Its 1.8N (184g) 1/4" Elastics from top 3rd and 4th to bottom 3rd teeth both sides. Unfortionately eating with elastics broke the hooks twice, which my ortho thought was really strange. But I just stoped eating with them.

June18 - 4th adjustment. Just a quick checkup. New color ligatures of the remaining brackets without metal ligatures: Black (really cool color!) I asked for colored elastics because the elastics are VERY well visible when I talk or laugh. No available. She promised to order some.

Jule24 - 5th adjustment. At first two new wires. Dentaflex again. The third size this time. First was .012" when i got my braces, second .015 some treatments ago and now .018 or so, Im not really sure. Will ask my Ortho again for more details later. Then two more Kobayashi metal ligatures (6 in total plus 8 from Bands plus 4 from Brackets, but most not used fortionately) and a different elastic configuration, now 2 teeth from bottom to top. Remaining brackets with Black and Neon green ligatures mixed. I asked again for colored elastics, but she didn't order them, cos she thought I was joking with the colors for elastics and all her young customers prefer transparent elastics and ligatures. (Really hard to believe for me...) Hell no, I love colors, and I am sure many kids do as well. I hate medical looking transparent latex stuff. (Just as I dont like those ugly cermaic brackets, sorry mates :P). Ah and finally after 2 months a horrible lisp from the elastics settled down to zero, I really thought I always would talk that bad. My mom rarely understood me (She has some ear problems too)

the following 3 days I had for the first time the most pain in my teeth ever since I got braces, the round new .018" Dentaflex wire is really strong (Stainless steel, non elastic wire, but twisted three or five times) I was so happy when I could eat hard food again after some days.

Next adjustment is planned for September13th, but I'm in vacation then, so I will get a new appointment date on next Monday. I also will get my both wires and all the ligatures removed, to move to my dentist that Monday, let my teeth cleaned professional [stopping smoking right now, getting rid of ugly yellow tint ;D] (High pressure water/salt cannon + florid brushing cleaning procedure, as every year) and then get the wires and ligs back in. This time I insist for Powerchains, I hate that nobody realizes my ligatures colors and I just love more colorful stuff. Powerchains look much cooler.

I also got explained by my orthodontist that I most probably wont get an expander (phew), but a Bioprogressive method double bow, hard to explain, google may help you there if you want to know more, its a heavy torqued archwire just fitted to molars and both front teeth, expanding the molars and moving to the top teeth downwards for the top jaw and up for bottom. (.016x.016 square wire) The other teeth get a smaller half wire.
As you can see I ask alot about procedures at my ortho and decide stuff with her together, because there are several ways to achieve the goal.

I will know more about the treatment plans the next time, cos after one year of treatment now, with virtually no remarkable result I want to know what follows. I very much doubt that the planned time of three years will not be enough. I already see me in braces for a total of 4 years. Especially because I don't want loose retainers and because the (Strong) Elastics don't do much effect (She planned them for 2x2 Weeks, now she corrected it to half a year, just for the front teeth). Seems that my teeth don't wanna move as quick as child teeth do. I just have got the third wire in, and my treatment plan lists 12 for each jaw I think. 3 per year with 12 at all means 4 years!? omg... But after all I enjoy some shiny jewelry with new colors each month in my mouth by now ;) Especially if a rare situation appears where one says how cute it looks. (really rare that anyone even mentions anything about my braces) But strange is that in "friend-finding Internet communities" (many)girls seem to be very disgusted by a guy with braces. That makes me a bit sad. :( Anyway, I just get reminded by my braces only for some minutes per day when I brush my teeth. All the other time its like having no braces. It already feels very strange when I'm without elastics when eating. Its like something is missing ... Getting rid of the braces at all must be a really strange missing feel. But... thats still years.
And yea I defenetly talk way to much, but I haven't posted so long, it seems like it does not interest anyone anyhow. Some feedback would be very nice, and maybe I would feel like making some new pics then for you? ;)

Best wishes to all readers.
onny

*edit* small update:
I just ordered 25 packages of elastics in Pink, Blue and Green mixed for just 25 $ from Dentaurum Germany :D
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#9 Post by onny »

I had to call my ortho to have the 6th adjustment yesterday (10thoct07) because last week a band (36th teeth) got loose when I was in Olbia, Italy.

In detail:
Unfortionately on the 5th of September I had a very bad accident and I woke up in hospital with about 6 month of amnesia (I thought Im 24 years old, but im 25) and with 3 broken backbone(!) elements and nerve damages. After a week in hospital I got very annoyed of it and sneaked away from it. Then I flew to Sardinia in Italy for 14 days to recover my health and my mind without any stress of friends or business. (I can walk nearly perfect again and need no morphin-like medicines anymore for the pain, the backbone is half healed and the nerve damage too. Most memory I lost I have reconstructed with friends, family and diaries.)
I was very suprised when I saw fixed braces on alot of young people and kids there, my braces were usual there and not such a rare thing like in my country. In middle of the holiday when I brushed my teeth I saw a band is loose. Back in Germany I immediatly called my ortho. While she cleaned the molar from glue, a small filling went out, so I had to visit my dentist, got it renewed and went back to my ortho. No new wire was used again, because at first the elastics need todo their job. The next adjustment is in just 14 days.
I also bought a new prof. camera.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.