Metamorphosis' Story: One Year - Photos Added!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tulip

#16 Post by tulip »

Hi Metamophosis,

Glad your extractions are over - sounded a bit heavygoing with all that tugging and pulling by the dentist!! It does seem like a waste to give up perfectly good teeth, but I suppose most folks with braces have had to sacrifice something from their mouth!!

Pics were great, so look forward to seeing the next steps from here.

Metamorphosis

#17 Post by Metamorphosis »

Argh! I woke up in AGONY at 5 o'clock this morning. I'm going in to have the extraction sites checked at 11, I'm hoping I'm just wimp - I dont want to have an infection and/or dry socket.

Wish me luck!

Brace Face

#18 Post by Brace Face »

I'm dreading having (maybe) 2 teeth removed! I have asked to be knocked out when it's done.... but you mentioned it was okay..... really???

joney

#19 Post by joney »

Hi Metamorphosis

I hope it went well for you this morning. I also had two extractions on Nov 2nd and am still feeling pain on the bottom. I don't think it's a dry socket as the pain is not intense but I am still swallowing painkillers which I didn't expect to be doing on day 5 and that bottom site is just not healing in the same way as the top.

I hope you're feeling a bit better and don't have the dreaded dry socket.

Regards
Joney

Metamorphosis

#20 Post by Metamorphosis »

Thanks again for your wellwishes! :)

I went in and he said that my gums look fantastic and are a lovely shade of pink and all is well. I guess I just didnt expect to experience such pain 4 and 5 days after the extractions. (For those fearing extractions, I dont feel ANY pain as long as I remember to take advil or something similar)

Hi Joney - My dentist said that the lower sites take much longer and hurt more than the top. I had 2 removed from the bottom and they are the ones causing me lots of pain. I had one removed on top and i forget about it, it's been completely fine! I guess you and I will have to just keep popping the pills and ride this pain out!

Brace Face - Truly, it's not so bad. I would consider it too minor to go under general anesthesia, but that's just my opinion. There was no pain involved in the extractions, just some pressure. But then, I tend to think my dentist is just fabulous, so I felt safe in his hands. I guess if you just dont think you could handle being awake during it, then go for the GA. However, it only takes about 5 minutes per tooth or so! I just tried to relax and it was over before I knew it.

Thanks Karen and Linda! :pinkbraces:

In other news, my braces are 3 weeks old today. Next week is my first real adjustment, and I'll take my one month pictures at that time - I'm so excited and hope I see changes. It feels like my canines have moved down some - here's hoping!

joney

#21 Post by joney »

Hi Metamorphosis

Glad all is well. As you say we'll just have to keep popping the pills. I wish I had left longer than a week between my extractions and getting the brace fitted but I know that if I cancel the fitting this Friday I will have to wait ages to get another date so I think I'll stick with it.

Regards
Joney

Metamorphosis

#22 Post by Metamorphosis »

Joney,

Yeah, definitely don't cancel! I already have my braces on, and really, it's kind of a nice 2 for 1 - you're already taking pain meds for the extraction sites, and that will help out with the pain of braces too! Hehe, the way I figure, the extraction pain has totally distracted me from even remebering I have the braces in the first place! :lol:

Good luck with your brace day. I found getting them put on to be completely uneventful (except that I have terrible jaw problems and holding my mouth open that long messed me up).

Keep swishing with salt water, I'm sure our extraction pain will be gone really soon!

Metamorphosis

#23 Post by Metamorphosis »

I had my first adjustment today. I got my wires changed to something heavier (i cant remember which ones he said), and i have several teeth not engaged in the wire, to help make room for those who are too crowded. I got my ligs changed (nice and clean and new!), got to brush and floss (heaven!) without the wire, and was sent on my way. Oh yeah, I also had a bracket put back on that had popped off during an extraction.

Next month I'll have adjustment number 2, and he'll put in my TPA :shock:

I'll take some pictures tonight :pinkbraces:

tulip

#24 Post by tulip »

Glad your first adjustment was smooth sailing. Hope the "day after" all is still feeling good too!!!

Metamorphosis

#25 Post by Metamorphosis »

ohhhh MAN have i been in PAIN!! Those new big wires are kicking my butt. I've been taking advil every 4 hours, I just can't do without it. I wake up in agony. I've been back on the mush diet.

Good news is, today I'm feeling better. Still hurts, but i'm not near-tears anymore. Boy oh boy was I starting to worry! I havent slept much for the past couple of nights, but I'm hoping now that it seems to be calming down (cross my fingers!) I'll sleep better over the weekend. I did take a few pictures, but unfortunately havent uploaded them to the computer just yet. I will soon, I've been too out of sorts since the adjustment.

In other good news, in under 24 hours after the adjustment a rather sizeable gap appeared in my lower teeth - yay!

joney

#26 Post by joney »

Hi Metamorphosis

Sorry to hear that you are having some pain, hope that eases soon. Rather good though that a gap has appeared so quickly, that's great, the new wires are obviously doing some good.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Metamorphosis

#27 Post by Metamorphosis »

Ok, sorry about the delay, my new pictures are below. The pain has subsided, but I'm still not back to eating what I could eat pre-adjustment. Still eating mush.

The good: finally able to floss between 2 teeth that I couldnt get to because the brackets were smashed together. I had to go a whole month without flossing there! It bled and got irritated, but now I'm flossing there all the time, and all is well.

Sadly, I can't really SEE any changes when I look at my pictures, but I can feel changes, and I can notice a few differences, just not really any improvements just yet. Hopefully soon!

Metamorphosis

#28 Post by Metamorphosis »

thanks karen :)

I think things got a little "worse" because when I had the thinner wire all of those wayword teeth were ON the wire. At the adjustment he left them off this new thicker wire. He said this was to make some space for those others to come forward. He said at my next adjustment (Dec 12) he will put them back on the wire and start working on the extraction gaps.

I'm trying to be patient, but I'd love to see some big changes by christmas!! :D

Metamorphosis

#29 Post by Metamorphosis »

I had my second adjustment on Thursday (12/14). I think my teeth are having a really hard time moving! Today is my 2 month anniversary and I've had very little movement. I think my ortho thinks so too, as he changed my wires to huge square ones. Still trying to make room for the two wayward teeth on top, and the three wayward teeth on the bottom. He had said that all teeth would be wired up at this appointment, but I imagine the lack of movement changed that plan.

I also had my TPA installed. It is killing my poor tongue! I hope I get used to it soon, it makes eating a pain and I am lisping like crazy.

The square wires caused me a lot of pain for a couple of days, but it has calmed down now. I hope these teeth get moving, i want to see some improvements to keep me motivated!!

I will take pictures tonight for my 2 month anniversary and post them in the morning.

~M

Metamorphosis

#30 Post by Metamorphosis »

Here are updated pictures - before, and at the 2 month mark...

ImageImage

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I got a couple of white wire ties which can be seen in the picture (lower canines, also one on the upper arch that cant quite be seen in the picture).

And, here is a picture of my upper arch / TPA...

Still such a mess after 2 months!