Higgy's Story--Awesome Appt--February 12, 2008

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laurie

#91 Post by Laurie »

OUCH! That sounds painful!

Higgy

Newest Developments

#92 Post by Higgy »

Hey there,

Just had an adjustment today so I thought I would post a quick update...I had an exciting appointment. The official word is that I WILL be getting an early release....a very early release. I'll be getting mine off in January. Today they repositioned my lower left front tooth's bracket, which was a bit uncomfortable since that tooth is sensitive and the bracket was giving them problems getting off. He also did reshaping of my teeth...which I LOVE....I can't believe how much of a difference that makes in aesthetics! The other thing we did was start Class II elastics. Only on the left side though, so things feel a bit odd tonight. I have three elastics on that side, from my top left canine to my bottome left premolar, from my top premolar to my bottom first molar and from my top first molar to my bottom second molar. They're a bit tricky to put in, especially the one in the very back, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of that quickly. I'm to wear them full time (minus eating and brushing). As soon as I can figure out what is wrong with my camera, I'll have to post a pic.

AmybettyB

#93 Post by AmybettyB »

Hey Higgy,

Hope your jaw is feeling better!

Congrats on the early release date!

Amy
[/url]

Higgy

One Year Pictures!!

#94 Post by Higgy »

Here are my comparison pictures at one year!

Bottom

Miscellaneous

There ya go! If all goes as planned, they'll come off in just about 4 months!

joney

#95 Post by joney »

Higgy, you are so lucky, entering the final stages. I know it hasn't been too easy for you with challenging elastics and so forth but your teeth look great. You must be so pleased.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Higgy

#96 Post by Higgy »

It has been quite a trip...that's for sure....I think I'm finally getting used to the elastics, though I still can't put them on without the tool, haha. Though I do believe I'll have to shoot a call to my ortho as I'm having problems with the other side of my jaw lately, crackling, hurting etc, which of course makes me leary as that is the side that recently dislocated. My singing seems to be the thing most affected by the elastics though, mouth positioning is so important for being about to project your voice, and I haven't been able to compensate for that yet, however, if I took them out to sing, they'd be out half the time and wouldn't do what they need to do. Once they come off, I have a bit of cosmetic work to do, some bonding to cover a few areas of old decalcification. I think what has impressed me the most was when he did the reshaping of my upper 6...made an incredible change for me!

Higgy

#97 Post by Higgy »

Had a cleaning today....no plague buildup at all:) very easy appt....talked with them about the cosmetic bonding and the hygenist said that we may be able to do some bleaching after they come out....and less bonding! Won't know till they come off....but thats not all that long.....I have my next adjustment on wednesday.....am really hoping I feel better then....rather sick today.

nerdgirl

#98 Post by nerdgirl »

Hey Higgy - Congrats on your progress! Your teeth look great and I'm sure you can't wait to get them off! :D Hope you feel better soon! :rose:

Higgy

#99 Post by Higgy »

BIG APPOINTMENT!!!!

We did some minor bite adjustments so that when I close my mouth, both sides hit at the same time....new powerchain on top (pink)....I now have 3 elastics on the left....and 3 elastics on the right....still class II configuration.....but the big thing is....I asked if we were going to do the frenectomy after I get the braces off or before...and he said that we should have already done that, so he referred me to a surgeon, dropped by there on my way home and I'm scheduled to have it tomorrow at 2pm....fast turnaround! Still fighting this cold a bit...but not AS bad as yesterday.

Higgy

#100 Post by Higgy »

Hey everyone,

Just an update before I crash for a bit....I had the frenectomy done today...the procedure itself was quite fast...a few minutes spent talking of health history, a few minutes talking of dental history...few comments about orthodontics in general, then the numbing. He was GREAT with the numbing and used the pre-shot gel to numb that. It sure is interesting to listen to what they are saying about things while they work....for example he said that my frenum was "bi-something", but meant that it had actually split off into two....and that it was very vascular, which I'm guessing is why it was bleeding so much. Initially he had said I would have 2 stitches, but that turned into 5....they are desolvable ones though. He finished up, but was still bleeding quite a bit, so we spent the next 10 minutes with him putting pressure on it....while he told a hilarious story about pillows in his house.....(note to dentists/orthos/oral surgeons: don't tell us a funny story when you have your hand in our mouth, or when we aren't supposted to move). I did get some good reassurance from him though. The areas of decalcification on my teeth are NOT my fault! He said he's seen cases like mine...and that they nearly always stem from not having enough floride in the water when the teeth are developing. I'd been blaming myself since I saw my dentist back home...I knew I had always brushed...didn't always floss growing up...but the surgeon said that for a case like mine to be caused by bad hygeine would take MUCH more than that...someone who doesn't brush their teeth for 3-4 years kind of thing. What a reassurance!

Now for the not-so-good news:

As soon as I got home....I replaced the guaze...and boy did it bleed....thankfully that has stopped now....but it is VERY sore! Hopefully that will pass quickly.

On the bottom, where my front tooth rotated so much, the gumline is very low and he said that the root is very exposed. So...he's emailing my orthodontist to get him to move that tooth backward some, so that they can do a tissue graft over it....which he said will extend my time in braces.

My new elastics are really causing a lot of discomfort....and with the pressure that the surgeon had to put on my front teeth, those are sore as well....so I've taken them out for a short break (ortho had said that was okay if the right sided ones caused a lot of pain)...till it subsizes a bit.

So now....off to sleep I go for a bit....[/b]

Higgy

#101 Post by Higgy »

Post-Frenectomy Day 1....Piece of cake....no pain other than when that area gets hit/touched....no trouble eating...no new bleeding!

Bad cold has moved to chest....hopefully not going into bronchitis/pneumonia...yuck.

Miss Smiley

#102 Post by Miss Smiley »

HIggy- stop hitting/touching the sore spot. :wink: HOPe you don't get worse!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Higgy

#103 Post by Higgy »

It is official.....have pneumonia:( Mouth is healing great though.....I can already see a difference with the 2 sided elastics.

Higgy

#104 Post by Higgy »

It's been a few since I posted, so I thought I'd take a few to tell you about how awesome the surgeon I saw is....

I called them on Tuesday becuase I had an appointment early Wednesday morning and I knew that having pneumonia and trying to ride the bus 45 minutes to get there, then the return trip wouldn't happen. They were very nice about it....and just made sure things were okay with the surgery site, said to come in the next week if I could so he can look at it....but here's the awesome part...

About 2 hours after I called them to reschedule, I get a knock at my door....and it's the surgeon...with a "Get well soon" card from the whole staff! Personally delivered....I thought that was awesome.

It's now been 12 days since I had it done....and you would never know it had happened at all. The stitches did take longer than they said to dissolve though....actually, the last bit of them fell out yesterday, which was good because it was tickling my lip.

I got all brave and got colored elastics...a multicolored neon package of them, so now I can coordinate my elastics to my clothing...yes, I know that I"m a geek:) I have yellow, orange, pink, blue, purple and green. Of course with it being halloween I have orange in right now...but I do really like the green, I'm thinking when I go in again to ask if they'll put ligs on (don't usually get them as I have self-litigating, but I love the color).

Elastics are amazing in what they do. In less than two weeks of wearing them, the overjet that had formed on the right side is nearly gone. Can't wait till I go in again, which may be sooner than later, since the surgeon wanted a bend in the wire.

Higgy

#105 Post by Higgy »

Well.....another adjustment down:)

Easy appointment today. First I saw the surgeon for my final post-op appointment from the frenectomy, and all has healed well. The tipping of the bottom tooth in preparation for the tissue graft is going well, both surgeon and orthodontist are pleased with the results. I'll see the surgeon again on Jan 16, and the orthodontist on Jan 14. No more powerchains.....and elastics only on at night.