The First Day of the Rest of My Life (NEW PICS PGE FOUR!!)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smiley77

The First Day of the Rest of My Life (NEW PICS PGE FOUR!!)

#1 Post by Smiley77 »

Hiya! I am a 29 yr old mother of two and we live in WA (soon to be Perth)
I have crowding and over *something* not sure if over bite or overjet (I didn't even know there were two different over thingys til I came here!)

I am so excited, scared, nervous, terrified, thrilled, anxious... you get the idea. Probably exactly how all you were when you were in my position.

My position being:

First consult with the ortho was about a month ago, he took moulds and x-rays and those oh so flattering photos, and called me back with a treatment plan. He sent the referral to my dentist, and I have my check up appointment on Tuesday morning. I need several thousand fillings and SEVEN teeth out. That's right - seven perfectly good pearly whites (well technically offcoloured whites, but that doesn't have the same ring to it ;))

OK, this is the bit where I freak out.

My appointment for all the work (said fillings and extractions) are on ... WEDNESDAY :shock: I had to wait over a week for the initial appointment, and I will admit I was a bit disappointed, I am so keen to get this over with. Then the dentist rang me to say that he had my referral and he has a slot on the Wednesday after to do the work.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So now I am trying to be brave.

I am having (don't know the lingo, please scuze me) the two behind the fangs out, one of my middle front teeth, and my four wisdom teeth out. One of which is not yet ruptured, nor will, as it is pointing towards the back of my head. I did try to get it removed years ago, and was told that I wouldn't be able to do it in a dentist chair as I will need a general and surgery - the roots are long and hooked around that nerve in your jawline. This dentist IS a surgeon and is able to IV sedate patients in the chair. If he can't get my tooth out, then sadly I think i am going to have to leave it again. I am having a hard time justifying the expense, and to add the cost of a hospital stay and a surgeon and anesthetist would make it just too much.

BUT anyway -- for now I just have everything crossed. He seems pretty confident he can get it out. I just hope he doesn't pull the other six first and then say he can't do it, cos then my teeth will look WORSE hahaha (hardly possible! ;))

On that rather jumbled nonsensical note, I am out of here.

I do have pictures but can't upload them yet. I can't believe I took photos of them! UGH and to SHOW them to people!!! :O:O Usually the less attention my teeth get the better!

Oh, a question before I go...

Did anyone else get 7 or more teeth pulled in one session? How much did it suck? Thanks :)

Smiley77
Last edited by Smiley77 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smiley77

#2 Post by Smiley77 »

Ohh the pain! I got 7 teeth out yesterday and more than 7 fillings (not sure how many more, we had scheduled 7 but he said he found more while he was in there) It took 5½ hours, so I think that just having my mouth open that long is a conributing factor to the pain.

My jaw aches, my teeth that are left ache, I have seven aching sockets and the corner of my mouth huuuuurts where the instruments have rested.

The worst thing is that I can't take any pain killers, because they make me throw up; something very hard to do without opening your mouth! LOL

I am feeling very, very sorry for myself right now, let me tell you :P

BUT I still know that it will be all worth it, I am off to go and look at some more before and after photos to remind myself.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

Good luck with the extractions, Smiley77. I have only recently had 1 wisdom tooth removed, so I can't really tell you what it'll be like getting 7 out. Best wishes!
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

juf_84

#4 Post by juf_84 »

Hello Smiley!!

Wow, you are so brave to have 7 teeth out and 7+ fillings in one go! I'm glad it is all behind you. I have only had a baby tooth pulled in the chair, and my four wisdoms under a general. No fillings. Very easy compared to you! I am just amazed that you went in there and just did everything!

Best of luck with the rest of your journey, I look forward to following it.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Smiley77

#5 Post by Smiley77 »

Thanks for your replies :)

It is now four days since I have had the work done, and I am still in so much pain :( I can't go without pain killers, but have to stick to nurofen as forte made me throw up.(fancy giving pain killers that require food in your belly to a dental patient!!!)

My biggest concern is the teeth that weren't touched are so sensitive and painful. I know that the sockets and my jaw and my fillings are going to be a bit achy and I know that will subside, but why are my other teeth sore? The pain seems to travel right down the roots too :( I have never had a tooth ache in my life, so this is just horrible!! I had no idea what to expect, but not this much pain four days after!

On the plus side, I have lost 5kgs lol.

Here is a pic. I do apologise for the ghastliness of it all, just gimme two years and it will be gone ;)

You can see the two teeth behind my fangs are gone, and one from the middle front. I also had all four wisdom teeth out.

SO tell me -- is pain in all my teeth normal? They hurt more than the ones that I had work on!
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

vegetara

#6 Post by vegetara »

I haven't had so many taken out, but, last month, I did have wisdom tooth extractions and it seemed like the remaining back teeth hurt. To be quite honest, i'm not sure if it's because the gums and other tissues are just sore, (kind of like a bruise) or if it's because pain can sometimes 'travel' to other body parts, especially those nearby. (A great example of this is how many headaches I've been having since the spacers, and now braces were put on.) It could be some of both, actually.

Make sure you get plenty of rest, take some painkillers as needed and stick to soft foods and soups/juices. Also, it is useful as KK said, to utilize a saltwater rinse, when appropriate (after a day or two) and not alcohol such as most mouthwashes contain for it can dry out the socket.
30 years old
Spacers-July 10, 2006
Top Braces-July 18, 2006 (ceramic)
Bottoms--? (metal)
1st Adjustment-Sept. 6, 2006

Smiley77

#7 Post by Smiley77 »

One week since the extractions and it's official - I am rotten with infection :(

My mouth is full of pus and my whole jaw aches. All my teeth are throbbing and I can't get rid of the vile taste in my mouth.

I am feeling pretty sorry for myself, let me tell you.

AND just to make things extra special, I live in a town where there is NO DENTIST!! :'(

Tell me again why I care if I have straight teeth or not? At least my crooked ones didn't hurt.

Smiley77

#8 Post by Smiley77 »

ARGH I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back!

Yesterday was a good day! Pain and pus were at an all time low! I cleaned and shopped and laundered and bill pay-ed (yes, probably did over do it) and woke up this morning at 4am in absolute agony! :(

All the muck was back, my teeth were hurting, and just to really make things extra special, I had the worst headache I have ever had in my life!

Just to add to the stress (that I really, really don't need right now) I took a job as a census collector and I was due to start putting my forms out today.

I just want to GET BETTER!! I don't have time to be sick, or the patience. I have things to do and people to see! LOL I heven't been without pain medication in over a week, and I don't like to think about what that is doing to my insides. I can't bare to not take it though. I am giving myself until Monday and if I am not much, much better I am making the drive to Perth and plonking myself on the dentists doorstep until he sees me and FIXES ME!

Anyway, I thought I would make an entry so that in two years or so, when I am brace-free, I can look back at the hard work that I had to do to earn my smile.

Thanks KK for your reply, you are lovely :)

skittley80

#9 Post by skittley80 »

Hi Smiley, I just thought I would chime in on your thread. June 9th, I had 6 teeth extracted, and oh my god, it was horrible. I was in so much pain, I couldn't open my mouth hardly at all because my jaws ached. ALL of my teeth hurt.. I couldn't eat solid food for about 3 weeks. BUT, I do want to say it got a whole lot better after the 2 1/2 to 3 week mark. I was really regretting all of this at that point, but now everything is healed and everything is wonderful. I just got my braces put on a week and a half ago, so I'm on my way. Hang in there, you will feel better in no time.

--Braced..upper and lower on 7/17/06
--Orthognathic surgery (upper and lower jaw)..possibly summer of '07

Smiley77

#10 Post by Smiley77 »

Check out my ticker!!!

Spacers next Monday, and full metal the week after :D

Very exciting. Now, I just need the last of my pain to GO! (Two weeks is more than long enough, right? ;))

Smiley77

#11 Post by Smiley77 »

Thanks, KK!

I am so excited again.

Joanna20

#12 Post by Joanna20 »

Those teeth will look great in no time. I can't wait to have extractions myself.
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Smiley77

#13 Post by Smiley77 »

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Spacers SUCK! lol

I have eight of the little buggars, and have only had them for 8 hours! lol

I think that I need to toughen up ;)

At the ortho today I asked to see a model with braces and I was SO surprised -- they are TEENY TINY!

I don't know what I was expecting! LOL Some kind of giant metal contraption that glints in the sunlight and creaks when you talk? LOL

Anyway! SEVEN sleeps to go! :BigTeethGrin:

SO EXCITED!

Smiley77

#14 Post by Smiley77 »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh the pain!

These things are pure EVIL!

I want to rip them out and all my teeth with them.

Six sleeps to go... :soremouth:

ShinySmile

#15 Post by ShinySmile »

As horrible as it feels, I found it easier to actually bite down on the spacers and put gentle pressure...something about making blood flow to the site helps the teeth to feel better! I'm not too sure the bottom spacers are working, since I'm not feeling a lot of pressure...but maybe I'm too interested in the top braces now! :lol:

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented