KriegeR's Story - Starting sometime back in 1986... (pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KriegeR

#31 Post by KriegeR »

Many thanks for all the kind replies, and it's great to be back on here. It's going to take me a while to catch up with what's been going on, but at least it will give me something to read on a lunchtime! ;)
When it was discovered I had epilepsy at 20 years of age ... I was given a range of feelings to think about, and sure enough I could identify some of these back to early adolescence. My neurologist was certain I'd had epilepsy from a young age ... and I'm confident he was right, but it went unnoticed, until I started having major seizures at 20.
I'm pretty certain that the same thing has happened to me. My dad used to suffer very badly from migraines when I was younger, (apparently due to a problem with his blood pressure tablets), and he always told me how he used to feel 'strange' immediately prior to a migraine coming on. I just dismissed the feelings as this, although I did find it strange that sometimes I didn't get a headache at all. Anyway there's not much I can do to change what's happened, so all I need to do now is concentrate on working around it. 6 major seizures in 6 months obviously isn't too bad when you think of the poor people in this world who could probably have that in one hour! :(
I'm so sorry to hear it, and certainly wish you well with getting it figured out and back under control. Sorry too to hear of your dental woes; is there no chance to save the tooth with bone and/or gum grafting?
Once again many thanks for the comments. Unfortunately here in the UK, they won't offer dental treatments like that on the NHS, and I feel they will simply pull the tooth. It's a bit of a downturn, but provided it doesn't interfere with the overall orthodontic work, I'm not too fussed.
As a former epileptic myself, I'm well aware of the impact it can have on your day to day life. Not being able to drive was the worst by far.
I do hope they can get you a proper diagnosis and hopefully they will be able to find a drug that will control your seizures so you can eventually get your licence back.
Yeah the driving is a complete pain, although my local authority have issued me with a special disabled pass that gets me free bus travel after 09:30 in the morning. I still have to pay to get to work, but it's not that expensive and at least I get the 2 bus journeys home for free.

Anyway thanks again for all the support, and I'll make sure I post regular updates on both situations here. The hospital have said that I should be getting a neurology appointment by April the 17th, so with any luck I should be getting to see a neurologist soon, and get a step nearer to finding out what is wrong, and how I can combat it.

Watch this space! ;)

KriegeR

#32 Post by KriegeR »

Well here we are some 6 months down the line from my previous post, and such a lot has happened in that time. I'm going to keep the non-orthognathic stuff brief so that I don't bore you. Basically I've been diagnosed with something called Focal Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, which is affecting the left side of the brain. Now that they know what's wrong I've been put on a drug called Lamictal and this has gradually reduced my seizures. In August I had a review with my neurologist and after suffering a handful of mainly minor seizures, he ordered an increase in my medication. Since then I haven't suffered a single seizure at all! :)

But back to the most important stuff - orthognathics! :)

To be honest there hasn't really been that much going on over the last few months other than routine adjustments, impressions, computer modelling of my bite to judge how the surgery will work, and slight modifications to my brace. With all the impressions they were able to create a computer model of my jaw and then use something very clever in order to move my jaw about in a virtual world. They showed me these animations as part of my pre-surgery consultation so that I was fully informed about what was going to happen. 7 days before the operation I went in for my pre-operative assessment and just as before I was given the all-clear for surgery. Obviously my epilepsy was a bit of a keen point but because I had been a month clear of seizures, they said it wasn't a problem.

On Tuesday the 16th of October I started ringing the hospital early in the morning as my surgeon had said he wanted me in the day before the operation. The first few attempts were unsuccessful as I was told that there wasn't currently a bed free on the head and neck ward. On the fourth attempt I was horrified to find that the ward had been closed to admissions due to a surge of patients suffering from flu and colds who needed round-the-clock observation (I'm assuming these were generally elderly and infirm patients). The nurse on the ward told me that all was not lost and that I should start ringing early on the morning of my surgery (05:30am :shock:), and they would see if a bed was free. She said there was absolutely no chance that I would get onto the ward on the Tuesday.

On the 17th I got up bright and early and took my medication prior to going on my liquid fast (no drinks for 3 hours pre-op). I rang the ward and was told that there wasn't a bed free at the moment but I should ring back in 30 minutes. My surgeon had told me that I MUST be on the ward by 08:00 that morning otherwise the operation would not go ahead. I rang back 30 minutes later and another nurse told me that should would check up on the bed situation and would ring me back within 30 minutes. I accepted what she said and put the phone down. As I did so I looked at the clock and realised that if I waited 30 minutes, it would be 07:50 by the time I found out and it takes 30 minutes to drive to the hospital in the rush hour!!! I rang back and asked her if it would be better if I came into the hospital regardless and waited for a bed. She said I could do but there could be a chance I'd have to go home again. Thankfully things turned out OK and whilst I was having pre-op blood tests and other checks, a nurse popped her head round the corner and confirmed a bed would be free! That was like a huge weight off my mind. My surgeon also came into the room and did a final explanation of what was going to happen, and then the surgical team left the room.

At about 08:45 I was sat on the edge of my hospital bed after being changed into a gown when a nurse came along and said "They're ready for you - grab your blanket and I'll walk you down there." This was when the butterflies really started to go beserk and I started asking myself if I was doing the right thing at this point.

In the prep room I was helped onto a trolley and the nurse popped a couple of pillows under my head and covered me in the blanket. The anaesthetist who I had seen earlier came into the room and told me that he was now going to prep me for surgery and send me into a deep sleep (I'd heard all this before with the removal of my wisdom teeth). He immediately started looking around my hands, wrists and arms, presumably looking for a good IV point, whilst his assistant was busy putting various monitors on. At one point the heart monitor's beeping sound came on REALLY loud, and I just joked "Well - at least that's a good sign!". The prep assistant took my existing blanket off me and covered me in something which looked like the thin foam wraps which electrical goods come in. She explained that this was a water blanket which would be used during surgery to regulate my body temperature due to the length of the operation. She also put some strange gizmos on my ankles which were apparently leg-massagers to prevent blood clots.

Whilst she had been doing this the anaesthetist had been getting very annoyed and had been slapping the backs of my hands and wrists like crazy. He joked that I didn't seem to have any veins that he could use to administer the anaesthetic. Eventually he found his prize and before anything was done I was told to start breathing heavily on an ice-cream flavoured gas. As I started to feel woozy I remembered looking at the Winnie The Pooh characters on the ceiling, and the voices around me seemed to start echoing away like they do in films and TV shows when someone goes unconscious. That was probably about the last thing I remember.

Anyway as I've got to nip off for tea now (any excuse :)), I'll describe my post-op experiences later.

Watch this space! :)

WhiteLurcher

#33 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Hey KriegeR :-1

Glad to hear your doing well, can't wait for the next installment! :lol:

[/url]

Rebelda

#34 Post by Rebelda »

WOW! :shock: What a story! I've read your story and boy am I amazed! I am so glad that you were able to get diagnosed and treated before you were went through with the surgery. You've been through so much already--you're a champ! Hope you're feeling well and recovering quickly. I cannot wait to read your next post! Till then, take care and enjoy your tea. :)

KriegeR

#35 Post by KriegeR »

Well folks here is the next installment in my surgery story. Please read and enjoy...

After what seemed a few moments I slowly opened my eyes expecting to see the nurse, anaesthetist and his assistant busily scurrying around trying to get me to go to sleep, but I was surprised to find myself in a very different room with a nurse stood next to me talking gently and checking various things. The room was dimly lit so I couldn't really remember much around me. I can vaguely remember drifting in and out of consciousness and each time I opened my eyes there were different people bustling around. Eventually I can remember being wheeled down the corridor and taken back onto the ward where I had started from that morning. As I went into the ward I looked at the clock above the door and it said it was about 7:30. I realised I couldn't have gone back in time and it was dark outside when I arrived back at my bed location. I didn't think much more about this until later in my stay, so all will be revealed later (you can wait like I had to). ;)

I must have fallen asleep again after being dropped off in the ward, because I remember waking up and my parents were sat at the side of my bed with my mum hold my hand (I know I'm 31 but that's the way mums are isn't it). One of the nurses noticed I'd woken up and she immediately came across and asked me how I was feeling. I mumbled that I was OK but I had some pain at which point the nurse handed me a small blue object with a wire attached. She explained that I had been given morphine after the initial operation but this was likely to have worn off now. The blue object was a button that was connected to a self-regulating morphine drip. If I pressed the button a small shot of morphine was delivered via IV and then the drip would lock out for 5 minutes to prevent overdosing. She told me that when the discomfort and pain started getting too much I just had to push the button for almost immediate relief.

At this point I couldn't really say much. My face was badly swollen, my mouth was dry, and I was still a bit dazed from the anaesthetic. I managed to ask the nurse how long I had been down in theatre. She said she didn't know and that I should ask my surgeon when he came on his rounds in the morning.

I remember having a bit of an uncomfortable night as personally I am a side sleeper. However with all the IV drips, the discomfort of anything pressing against my jaw, and the two drains that had been inserted in my neck area, I had no option but to lie on my back in a partially raised position. I think I only got about 2 hours sleep that night and spent most of the time gazing at the illuminated tower cranes opposite which are building the new hospital which will ultimately replace the one I was staying in. All the time I was wondering what I had done to myself and whether or not I had done the right thing!

The following morning I remember breakfast coming round, and understandably I turned it down. I was able to drink at this point and I had been sipping water all night to combat my dry mouth. The nurses had been on their medication rounds and I had been given another shot of IV steroids, anti-biotics, and an anti-sickness injection as I was taking powerful Ibuprofen liquid on an empty stomach. The surgeon came round shortly after the breakfast round and he was obviously eager to have a look at me and see how things were looking. After he had done what he wanted I managed to ask him how long the surgery had been. He said that I had been in surgery for 5 hours after the operation commenced at 9am sharp. However during recovery the recovery team had noticed some anomalies in my breathing and an unacceptably high heart rate and blood pressure. As a result they left me sedated and took me to the high dependency unit to keep an eye on me until things settled down. They couldn't explain why but I'd also been repeatedly swallowing over and over again in recovery. However this also ceased whilst I was in the HDU. That clearly accounted for me not being taken back to the ward until after 7 that evening.

My folks turned up again for the afternoon visitors session, and my mum brought me my MP3 player as I had requested. She also brought more of my anti-epileptic medication in as I had only brought in 3 days supply. I still couldn't eat anything in the evening so I made do with having regular drinks of water instead.

Another rough night followed but I'd been allowed to change into my own nightclothes which were far more comfortable. I was quite lifted the following morning when I managed to eat two soggy Weetabix, despite dropping a lot of it down my front due to the lack of sensation in my bottom lip! It was difficult to judge where the spoon was in relation to my mouth and I frequently ended up trying to push the spoon into my chin! A member of the maxillofacial team came round in the early afternoon and fitted my first elastic configuration and showed me how to do it in a mirror. Later on I was taken down to radiology and had a cranial MRI scan which I am presuming was to check how everything had gone. I also had 2 x-rays done shortly afterwards. I was lifted further at tea time when I managed to drink 2 cups of tomato soup, even if I did dribble a load down my front (that darned lip again). :D

The day after I was quite surprised at how quickly things went. Shortly after waking up in the morning I had my morphine drip removed and I was taken off IV fluids. The surgeon came round again and did his rounds, and said I'd been suffering a bit of a temperature overnight and that they needed to keep a close eye on it. In the afternoon my ex-manager and close friend turned up but whilst he was there a nurse came round and told me that I was being discharged! She removed the IV and the drains from my neck and then I just had to get my stuff together and wait for the folks to arrive. Within about 1.5 hours I was on my way home with a bag full of medication, painkillers, and elastics!

KriegeR

#36 Post by KriegeR »

Rebelda wrote:WOW! :shock: What a story! I've read your story and boy am I amazed! I am so glad that you were able to get diagnosed and treated before you were went through with the surgery. You've been through so much already--you're a champ! Hope you're feeling well and recovering quickly. I cannot wait to read your next post! Till then, take care and enjoy your tea. :)
Thanks for that and thanks to everyone else who sent their messages of support. I think I mentioned in a previous post that 2006/7 has been a very difficult period with a lot of uncertainty. I'm hoping that the epilepsy is now under control to such an extent that in summer 2008 I will be able to get my driving licence back! Here in the UK if you have a seizure of any kind (epileptic or not), you have to surrender your driving licence and stop driving for 12 months. Every seizure you suffer in that period resets the counter back to zero, so you have to be completely clear for a year. My year will be up on the 8th of August 2008 and I'm dying to get back behind the wheel.

Anyway I'll type up the last installment to bring you fully up to date now, so please read on...

KriegeR

#37 Post by KriegeR »

In the UK we have a theory that the best place to recover from surgery is in the home, and I don't think I can stress how true this is!

When I got home I felt so pleased and it was like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I still wasn't in a fit state to do anything and I think I slept for the first couple of days. In between I had to take a varied ocean of medications including pain killers, anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids (to reduce swelling), and anti-biotics. Including my anti-epilepsy medication I think I was taking 22 pills a day at one point! :shock:

Anyway I soon found myself adjusting to a soft diet, which is difficult to say the least, but not impossible. On the Saturday after being discharged my mum started cooking a full English breakfast for my brother and my dad, and the smell was just overpowering. The bacon, the eggs, the spam, the sausages; it was just unbelievable! I had to make do with some porridge for my breakfast! :(

However I've gotten used to it now and I'm trying to vary my diet as much as possible. I had some initial problems with the old lower-half because morphine and codeine are powerful costives (the opposite of a laxative), and I was having trouble getting fibre into my diet with all the liquid and soft food. However with a good dose of high-fibre and bran cereal in the morning, I was able to achieve a reasonable successful balance. Initially I was eating things like mashed potato, mushy peas, and brown bread soaked in gravy for my meals. Thankfully things have improved a little now and I'm able to eat 'soggy' meals such as lasagne and cheesy pasta, but I'm still not able to chew properly yet.

For those of you who have already undergone surgery, I'd be interested know how long it was before you started readjusting to normal food again. Did you make the decision yourself, or did your surgeon tell you when he thought the time was right?

This is a little bit disgusting but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else who has had upper jaw surgery (Le Fort I), has suffered from the same problem. Whilst I was in hospital I found I was suffering frequent, recurrent nosebleeds which the doctor said was due to the major disturbance of the sinuses when the top jaw was detached and moved into it's new position. The discharge looked like a mixture of water and blood and it only seemed to start when I tilted my head forwards (which is easily done when you don't think about it). Initially I just accepted this but when I got home a startling change developed which had me worried sick!

The problem with the sinuses continued but as the first few days at home went on, the discharge changed from bright red to clear. It then stared to turn more yellow and it eventually ended up as being bright orange!! It stayed like this for a few days and then turned back to yellow again. It doesn't bother me too much now and only really happens if I go out in the cold. However has anyone else had a problem with a thin, transparent orange discharge coming from the nose? I haven't seen my surgeon since being discharged from the hospital so I haven't had the chance to ask him about it yet.

But I think now we can get onto the status quo (and not the music band either). As things stand I have just about recovered 100% of the feeling in the right hand side of my face, and the swelling has almost completely gone here. On the left hand side my cheek is slightly numb at the bottom, but is still a bit swollen compared to the right. I have lost the feeling in the end of my nose which feels very odd, especially when I touch it. My top lip also has reduced levels of sensation. By far the worst loss of sensation though has been in my chin and inside my mouth. If you look at a photo (link provided at the bottom of this post), and draw a line straight down from each corner of my mouth, the area in the middle is completely devoid of sensation and my bottom lip was initially paralysed after the surgery although movement has returned. Inside my mouth I have no sensation in the upper and lower gums, which I found out the first time I started brushing post-op. The roof of my mouth is also devoid of sensation, although my tongue is fine and still has 100% of it's sensations. At a follow up appointment my orthodontist tested my sensation loss by gently 'pricking' areas with a clean hypodermic needle to see where the extents of the sensation loss were.

The preliminary judgement from the surgeons is that the surgery has been a relative success. My gap has closed from an initial 11mm to just 2.5mm, which is an achievement in itself. The doctors stressed that they might not be able to close the gap completely as the amount of vertical movement required would exceed the safe limits of the surgery. The only problem that has arisen from the surgery is a crossbite of about 4mm. This is currently being resolved using elastics in an 'N' configuration. I have two very small elastics running from top to bottom canine, and then another small elastic running from top left canine to bottom right. The hope is that the diagonal elastic will gently pull my lower jaw across to the left and resolve the crossbite. So far the progress is looking good and my relaxed bottom jaw is showing less and less of a tendency to wonder off to the right.

One other thing I seem to be experiencing at the moment is 'ghost sensations' This is where you get what feels like an itch of a pain in the 'dead' areas of your face, but you can't do a thing about it because there isn't really anything there. Does anyone else get this? Is it a sign of the nerve damage resolving itself?

But as I promised it's time for the pictures. I've hosted these on my Facebook account as a fellow brace-wearer is also after this photo diary. The pictures have been taken at 48 hour intervals since 18 hours post-op and I will continue adding to them as we go along. My Facebook album link is : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =541304687

Along with the pictures in the link above, I'll get some updated bite pics displayed in my next post.

So after a long absence that is the story brought right up to date. If anyone wants to know anything or ask anything then please either make a post here or send me a private message.

KriegeR

#38 Post by KriegeR »

Denise wrote:I did want to let you know that I had surgery over the summer (not jaw surgery) and during the recovery period I had the phantom itches too.
Yeah that's pretty much how it is with me. I keep getting a really chronic itch on the right side of my chin but when I gently scratch it there is no feeling, and it has absolutely no effect on the itch. I've still got some pain from the surgery but I'm suspecting this is also 'phantom pain'. I get really strong surges of pain in the lower jaw, but I can't see how this can be so when the area is devoid of feeling. I suppose it's one of those things, but taking the painkillers helps to keep it at bay.
KK wrote:I was 20 when I was diagnosed and it was suspected I'd had night seizures (or other undetected seizures) for many years. I've been on medication for three decades and during the past 10 years, I've been able to reduce my meds.
My neurologist told me that they would try the same with me, but said this wasn't likely to happen for about 5 years or so. Obviously like all anti-epileptics I was introduced to Lamictal slowly, increasing the dose by 25mg a fortnight until I reached the 175mg I'm on now. I was also warned about stopping the drug abruptly, which apparently can cause seizures in itself. However the story of your epilepsy is amazing and obviously the similarity to mine is freaky despite the shorter timescale.
KK wrote:Thanks for the detailed account of your surgery. Interesting about getting a bed ... that must have been quite challenging ... wondering if you were going to get one. Great you made the decision to go to the hospital anyway ... and it all turned out well!
Unfortunately this is a common problem in the NHS because they are drastically short of beds as it is! Obviously emergency admissions are unpredictable so if there is a bad day of accidents, the beds are quickly gobbled up and scheduled operations have to be cancelled. It's better than it used to be though, when you used to walk down corridors and see patients on trolleys outside the wards, waiting for a place! :shock:
KK wrote:I love it that your Mum was holding your hand ... I would do the same if it was one of my children ... no matter what age they were! Sounds like you have very supportive parents!
Yeah my parents are very supportive and my mum hates hospitals. Obviously her caring nature is welcomed, apart from when she spouts off when friends are round! I'm sure she just does it as a tease though. Not being a mother I can't fully comprehend what she must have been feeling but as you say, regardless of age when a son is admitted to hospital for fairly major surgery, I suppose that caring nature becomes evermore apparent.
KK wrote:Your surgery story and your photos are great. The changes in your profile are looking excellent ... shame about the final 2.5 mm, but considering you started with a 11mm gap ... you must be stoked.
Thanks. I know it was a long set of posts but with my absence I thought I'd better bring my story up to speed. I personally can't believe how much my profile has changed. I didn't get to see myself until I got home 3 days post-op so it was quite a shock when I looked in the bathroom mirror. It was like something out of the film 'Face Off'! But yes despite the gap I'm extremely pleased with the result and it should improve the mechanics of eating considerably. The orthodontist said he should be able to close the gap by a further 1mm by grinding down some of the worn 'points' on my back teeth and further brace work. This should also help in correcting the cross bite, along with the 'N' configuration elastics.

I forgot to include this in my update but my orthodontist has 3 plans of attack for the cross bite. Obviously the elastics are the first tool in his arsenal. Secondly he believes the tooth levelling should go some way to correcting it, as the points on the back teeth tend to coax my jaw off to the right. Lastly I have have a tooth missing (which I think in dental terms is the lower left 4), which my orthodontist describes as being useful. Throughout my treatment so far he has been cursing the missing tooth for causing logistical problems in moving my teeth. However he says that now I'm post-op they could actually use the gap to gently pull my teeth round slightly, and further correct the cross bite. It's going to be a slow process though as they need to try each one in that order.

But once again thanks for the comments. I'll repost the Facebook link on each update as it's easier keeping my photos there rather than maintaining 2 copies.

Watch this space...

KriegeR

#39 Post by KriegeR »

Well another day, another orthodontist appointment.

For what is probably the first time in my orthognathic treatment, I had an appointment today with my consultant orthodontist Mr. Spencer as opposed to his registrar Jag! Don't get me wrong Jag is very good at what he does, but it is very unusual to get an appointment with 'da man' himself! :)

Anyway he said that things were looking very good overall, and that the elastics were certainly correcting the cross-bite which the surgery had left me with. He said that if I ended up with a slight cross-bite of up to 2mm, this could easily be corrected using braces and further elastics. He's removed the dreaded diagonal elastic which was pulling my lower jaw to the left, so at least I can partly stick my tongue out again. You don't realise how many times a day you lick your lips until you can't physically do it anymore! It also means I don't have to keep dashing upstairs to remove the diagonal elastic before every meal, and fit a new one again afterwards.

His main concern was the fact that my canine teeth are clashing now that my teeth meet at the front. As a result this has a habit of occasionally forcing my lower jaw over to one side. Obviously this has led to the development of a battle plan for the next few months. My next appointment is scheduled for three weeks from now on the 29th of November. At this appointment they are planning to remove the two brackets from my lower canines, and remount them further up the teeth. They will then use a specially shaped archwire with two raised arches to apply a higher level of pressure to these teeth to gently pull them backwards into my mouth. The intention is to pull the teeth behind my upper ones so that my teeth can meet correctly with the uppers just sitting slightly in front of the lowers. This should then automatically improve the cross-bite and maybe even close the 2mm open bite completely which would be cool.

Whilst I was there I had a few important questions to ask. I asked Mr. Spencer how long it would be before I could enjoy my favourite tipple again (a good old pint or two of Guinness). He told me that this should now be OK as the stitches in my mouth had now fallen out and the wounds looked to be well on the way to being completely healed. As you might expect he told me to drink in moderation as they had a case where a previous patient had tried to catch up on what he had missed, and ended up stumbling on the way home, smashing his jaw on the pavement as he fell over! :shock:

The other question I asked concerned my plans for skiing 2008! Normally I jet off to the French Alps every January for 1 or 2 weeks of skiing. I knew what the answer would be up front but I thought I'd ask anyway. Mr. Spencer (who is an avid skier himself), said that January was too early as he estimated my jaw bones would be approximately 50% healed at that point. He said even a relatively gentle blow to the face could have devastating effects! However I asked if March was acceptable and he said this should be fine. He did recommend that I wear a helmet though, because a sharp blow to the side of the face could cause a breakage. So thankfully it looks like I WILL get on the piste in 2008, which is a great relief as I thought I'd end up waiting until January 2009 to enjoy my favourite hobby again.

So that is the latest update. More pictures have been posted on my Facebook link specified in a previous post.

KriegeR

#40 Post by KriegeR »

Well folks; another orthodontic appointment and therefore another update. Quite a lot went on today and not just from my orthodontist either.

I was actually quite surprised today because my hospital appointment started with my maxillofacial surgeon! Normally the orthodontic assistants bob their head round the door and call people in, but today Mr. Loukota came out of the treatment area and greeted me before asking me to follow him into the orthodontic area.

Once I was in the chair he asked how things were going, and how the numbness and loss of sensation was changing. I explained that overall things appeared to be going very well and showed him the areas of my face where sensation was returning or improving. My surgeon, obviously quite pleased with what he was hearing, went out of the room and started calling other members of the team in to see the result of their work. I was even seen by the technical assistant; the person who is responsible for making the impression casts, splints, and facebow representations.

At this point I mentioned to my surgeon about the strange painful lump that I had found on the left of my soft palate. He asked me to show him where it was with my tongue and he promptly went in with a mirror to take a look. After some quiet mutterings of "Hmmm..." and "Very interesting", he started to explain what the lump was.

The lump is actually a section of the skull which would normally be well out of the way in someone who had not undergone major jaw surgery. The bone is known as the pterygoid lamina (pronounced 'terry-goid'), and is basically a conduit through which the medial pterygoid nerves pass. The nerve is responsible for receiving sensory information from the rear parts of the mouth, and transmitting movement information to the muscles in that area. The bone itself can be seen in the diagram below (item 14).

When the maxilla is moved a considerable amount, as was the case in my bimax operation, apparently a condition can be encountered where the pterygoid lamina bone protrudes lower than the roof of the maxilla itself. When this happens the bone manifests itself as a lump in the soft palate area, just behind the rear molars. He explained that it was difficult to notice and rectify during the surgery, and in the immediate aftermath because of the lack of sensation in the area.

As the bone is causing me some mild pain my surgeon told me there were a number of things that could be done. Basically they are going to leave things as they are until February 2008 at which time my surgeon will see me again to see if things have improved. If not he has offered me the following options.

* Grin and put up with the discomfort and irritation
* Surgery to gain access through the soft-palate, and remove a length of the pterygoid bone to shorten it

It was made clear that the bone CAN sometimes dissolve away by natural processes in the body, once the body realises that it is surplus to requirement. He said this might happen in this case eliminating the need for either of the two options. I was a bit confused at this because surely if the pterygoids are surplus to requirement, why haven't they dissolved a long time ago? Either way at least I know what the problem is now, but it still leaves a follow-up surgery cloud over my head. I doubt I could grin and bear it! The discomfort is mild/moderate to say the least, but it's more the annoyance than anything else.

Anyway at that point my orthdontist Jag took the helm and my consultation started. Strangely enough one of the first things I noticed as Jag was talking to me was that he was wearing invis-align braces!! Apparently he explained that he has had buck-teeth for a number of years, and finally decided to get something done about it. However he conceded that he didn't practice what he preached, and had gone private to get the invis-align! Typical! :roll:

Jag removed my old pre-op lower arch wire which appeared to be a task in itself. I'd forgotten about all the hooks that he had crimped to the wire before my bimax, and it never occurred to me that these would stop the wire from sliding through the securing clamps at the back. In the end Jag had to cut the arch wire into pieces in order to get the thing off! He then proceeded to break off all my lower brackets using some special tool. I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it was, but having zero sensation in my lower gums meant that all I could feel was the 'force' of what he was doing. After a bit of drilling to remove the old bracket adhesive he set about fitting the new brackets, which are positioned higher on my front teeth, and even higher on my lower canines. This is supposedly to allow them to exert more leverage on these teeth as they need to move back considerably more than the other lower front teeth.

When it came to refitting the arch wire, Jag used something new that I hadn't come across before. Due to the fact that my canine brackets are now higher than the others, I've been fitted with a braided stainless steel wire which apparently allows considerable up and down movement which solid wires don't. This was fitted with a LOT of force which made me think I'd end up with a broken jaw again at one point. However Jag explained that he needed to get as much tension on the wire as possible initially to get the teeth moving. Even though my appointment was only at lunchtime today at it is now 18:40, I can already feel the discomfort starting to creep in from the highly tensioned wire. I get the feeling tomorrow will be an uncomfortable day, but I can't think where the pain is coming from. I know my bottom gums are numb from when I brush my teeth, but something is hurting a bit.

To finish the job off Jag fitted me with red ligs in the double-twist configuration, as opposed to the steel quick-clips that I had been wearing since pre-op. Jag then explained that for the next 3 weeks, I'm elastic free because of the nature of the braided wire. He said that with the amount of force on the wire, the added tension of elastics, and the possibility of things 'moving' too much and knocking my centreline off balance, he didn't want me to use the elastics for the time being.

Then came the news I wanted to hear. I've been given the orders to start chewing again! He said that provided I didn't try to 'run before I can walk', there is no reason why I shouldn't recommence chewing (or mastication as he called it). He said that I shouldn't have any problems but I should avoid things like crusty or wholemeal bread (wholemeal contains hard seeds), tough meats (like gammon and steaks), very hard foods, and things which required extensive biting like burgers. Other than that I can eat pretty much what I want although he said I should oscillate my meals (one hard - one soft/liquid) for the next could of weeks. I can certainly say so far that chewing feels SOOOOOO weird!! I've got teeth which are still numb which makes it impossible to feel how much pressure I'm exerting when chewing. I also seem to have a tendency at the moment to 'eat' my bottom lip. If it wasn't devoid of sensation I think I'd be jumping all the time through biting it!

So really that is it for this update. My next appointment is scheduled for the 17th of October when Jag says he will be replacing the braided wire with a mono-filament wire, but again this will be under high tension. All I've got to do in the meantime is hope that my pterygoid structures sort themselves out, or it looks like I might be in line for another operation!

Next update will be coming ASAP.