braces are actually the end.....

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

srg1977

braces are actually the end.....

#1 Post by srg1977 »

This site has been so much help!

My sad story - about 10 years ago (i'm 29 now) I dislocated my jaw, and at the time they were able to fix it enough to function, but not back to normal. The disk (in the jaw joint) was so squished up that at that point I was told that it was the best they would be able to do. So I went on with my life. Braces had been suggested when I was a teenager, but was out of the question financially.

But now i'm in a place where I could pay for it myself, and went in for a consult. The ortho told me he couldn't do anything braces-wise until my jaw got fixed. He could do the work, but it was going to be about 2 years of wearing a splint (similar to a retainer, but MUCH more noticable).

I was reluctant to start messing around with my jaw again, but figured that it couldn't be worse than what i'd already been through. So we did that, and there's been such an improvement. I think the first guy was a bit of a quack.

So anyway the joint is back where it should be (without popping, grinding, clicking or anything like that - yay!!!!), but when I bite down the teeth only touch a little bit on the right back side. So that's where the braces come in.

The spacers went on for a week, and that was a week of hell. I would have much rather worn the splint, becuase at least it pops in and out when you eat. These are not removable. Best trick - eat something really cold - ice cream, slurpee, margarita, whatever before you try to eat real food. Numbing my mouth was the only way I was able to eat anything even partially solid (alphagetti, scrambled eggs). Also, take Advil/Tylenol before you go to the appointment, to take the edge off while they are doing the work.

So the braces went on, and then 3 days later I went to Hawaii for a week. I figured that if I was going to be miserable, I could do it just as well sitting on a beach. And for the most part, it was a good trip. Pineapple in small pieces was good, because it's the low-acid kind that doesn't hurt when you have a sore mouth. Macadamia nuts (even chopped up in pancakes) were not pleasant at all. Plus people have posted on this site that you can go snorkelling with braces, but I hurt way to much to try it. So that's something to look forward to when I go back next time.

Anyway, i'm 6 weeks in now, and things are still super sore. Smoothies and soup are still my main foods. I tried roast last week, and it was way too tough, even done in the slow cooker. So it doesn't just take a few days to get used to it for some people. Guess i'm a slow one.

I'm scheduled to get 4 teeth pulled next week, so hopefully when they come out and everything heals that the overall aching will go away becuase there will be more space. But for all of the grief i've had with this stuff, i've never once had any normal dental work done (i.e. no needles) and i'm pretty nervous about that.

On the plus side, everyone at work has been trying to lose weight (picture the Biggest Loser in an office), and I am winning, without even trying too much. And it's a ton of fun to meet up with guys and then flash a big smile and see some of them actually step back in shock. Yes it happens and me and my friends laugh all night about it.

Anyway, that's my saga. Hope this entertains/informs/makes someone else feel better. Take care.

lionfish

Re: braces are actually the end.....

#2 Post by lionfish »

srg1977 wrote: This site has been so much help!

So the braces went on, and then 3 days later I went to Hawaii for a week. I figured that if I was going to be miserable, I could do it just as well sitting on a beach. And for the most part, it was a good trip. Pineapple in small pieces was good, because it's the low-acid kind that doesn't hurt when you have a sore mouth. Macadamia nuts (even chopped up in pancakes) were not pleasant at all. Plus people have posted on this site that you can go snorkelling with braces, but I hurt way to much to try it. So that's something to look forward to when I go back next time.
I would be one of those people. I'm a recreational scuba diver and I've been diving a few times since getting braces. I got a mouthpiece which can be moulded to my bite. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to dive with elastics, but I'll be roadtesting options very soon.

srg1977 wrote: Anyway, i'm 6 weeks in now, and things are still super sore. Smoothies and soup are still my main foods. I tried roast last week, and it was way too tough, even done in the slow cooker. So it doesn't just take a few days to get used to it for some people. Guess i'm a slow one.
I'm sorry to hear you're suffering at 6 weeks. On the bright side, you must have had a fair bit of movement for your pain.
srg1977 wrote:I'm scheduled to get 4 teeth pulled next week, so hopefully when they come out and everything heals that the overall aching will go away becuase there will be more space. But for all of the grief i've had with this stuff, i've never once had any normal dental work done (i.e. no needles) and i'm pretty nervous about that.
Needles are OK. I used to have fillings done without a needle, but now I succumb. They often swab a local anaesthetic over the site before injecting so you may not even feel it.
srg1977 wrote:On the plus side, everyone at work has been trying to lose weight (picture the Biggest Loser in an office), and I am winning, without even trying too much. And it's a ton of fun to meet up with guys and then flash a big smile and see some of them actually step back in shock. Yes it happens and me and my friends laugh all night about it.
Good one.

srg1977

#3 Post by srg1977 »

So I had the ortho appointment to cut the wires and remove the brackets on the teeth that are getting pulled out. And I wasn't expecting it to be that painful, but it was. Not the wires coming off (although that certainly hurt more than expected, but it was tolerable) but getting the brackets off. Totally didn't expect that - I'm pretty sure that at least 2 of the teeth are already 1/2 way out because of that.

They took the metal tool, and clamp it on to the bracket and break the seal from the glue. It apparently doesn't hurt when you're at the end of your treatment, but right at the beginning it was super painful!! I was actually in tears while she was doing it. No fault of the tech doing the work - she was really good about it - but trying to get a bracket off of an already sore, loose tooth hurts a lot.

Anyway, had a super big slurpee after the appointment and am back to liquids and overcooked pasta for a day or 2. Lesson learned - ALWAYS take tylenol or advil before an appointment, no matter how "simple" a procedure they are doing.

The extractions happen tomorrow, so hopefully things will improve after that.

srg1977

#4 Post by srg1977 »

Well, I now have 4 big gaping holes where teeth used to be. Getting the extractions done wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, but it was definitely scary! The dentist used the same freezing techniques as he does on 5 year old kids, and it went ok. It took over an hour to get everything frozen. But becuase the teeth were so loose, it was more like pushing them back and forth and then plucking them out with a pair of tweezers. Not much bleeding, and with the help of a LOT of Advil and a prescription painkiller, was actually able to attend a wedding the next afternoon. No swelling, and some of my friends didn't even realize that i'd had anything done. At least until I disappeared into the bathroom to use a cold pack on my face. I found little instant cold things at the drug store, and they were a life saver. But my jaw hurts just as much as the gums do, and talking hurts a lot, so I might take the day off work tomorrow.

The trickiest part has been eating (as if it needed it to get more complicated!). I tried scrambled eggs, but they keep getting stuck in the gaps and it hurts to try and get it out. So it's soup and Ensure for a couple of days. Plus ice cream and i'll try some jello tonight. It sucked to be drinking Ensure while everyone else at the wedding was eating bbq'd beef and roasted potatoes, but I think everyone else felt worse about eating it in front of me than I did.

Anyway, the best part has been the instant pressure release for all the other teeth. It's made such a difference, especially in the front.

Next steps: an ortho appt in 2 weeks to put in more spacers between the back molars, and then a week later to put the last back molars in bands and then wire everything together again. There was no room back there to put them on with everything else. I'm not dreading the spacers as much, becuase at least this time there's somewhere for the teeth to move.

At last

#5 Post by At last »

That is the worst part for me right now, I havent had any extractions, but I have my spacers in now and I cant eat anything so I hate watching other people eat good food that I cant enjoy!!

srg1977

#6 Post by srg1977 »

It's been awhile, so it's time for another update.

The extraction sites have healed up very well, although if I brush a wrong spot, it still starts to bleed a little. I'm assuming that it's due to all the movement of the teeth around the site. Nothing much to worry about - it doesn't gush, so that's ok.

The spacers went in, and for the first few days it was just as bad as the last time - very sore, could only eat soup, etc. I remember thinking what was the point of doing the extractions if something like this was still going to hurt as much.

Anyway, a week later I went in to get them out. The dr took a look and everything is doing well. In addition to the 4 very back molars being banded, they added a much stronger wire and 2 powerchains on the bottom. The plan is to close the gaps on the bottom first and then move the top ones so everything matches up at the end.

Even with all the pre-appt painkillers, I was still in super-pain when they put the new wire in. And then the chains were just adding insult to injury. It's taken almost a week to be able to eat anything other than liquids - some rice yesterday afternoon and some super-skinny noodles last night. This is getting old really fast! Now I totally understand about other people's comments re: feeling like you got hit in the face with a baseball.

I don't have another appt until the middle of september. Then, they will add even stronger wires and different powerchains. Sigh....at least I know what to expect now.

vegetara

#7 Post by vegetara »

Wow!! What a journey you've already had. Thanks for the info on removing brackets, I have a 50/50 chance on needing some extractions in a few months, so, I will remember what you said!!

If you can post pics, I'd love to see them!!
30 years old
Spacers-July 10, 2006
Top Braces-July 18, 2006 (ceramic)
Bottoms--? (metal)
1st Adjustment-Sept. 6, 2006

srg1977

#8 Post by srg1977 »

Latest update:

Had another adjustment appt last Thurs. The day before my appt I was feeling well enough to eat a Tim Hortons sandwich - the first sandwich i've had since May. So that would be about 6 weeks from adjustment to feeling like a normal person and being able to eat regular food.

So anyway, I got a stronger wire for the top. The chains did the job for the gaps on the bottom but there's still one bottom centre tooth twisted partway around, so they took off the old chains and put a new one on right in the front.

And then I got elastics - I only have to wear them at night. Although when I looked really relieved about that, the assistant got kind of quiet so it might be a 24/7 thing in the future. Even after only a few days I can totally tell that they are doing the job (moving my jaw back to where it should be so I can open and close normally), but they hurt like hell. Hopefully it will get better, but it feels like they are pulling the teeth right out of the sockets. Regular drugs don't seem to be helping.

Anyway, i'm back to eating Ensure and soup. At least i'll have the memory of the sandwich...sigh. Only 5 more weeks to go before I feel human again.

I know a couple of people have asked for pics, but I actually made a choice NOT to take any during this treatment. There was enough movement right at the beginning that I could see the results, and I'd rather wait until the end and get a look at the before/after pics from the ortho's office.

srg1977

#9 Post by srg1977 »

I had my next adjustment a couple of days ago. The bottom tooth is still rotated, so they:

- took off the chain that was over the wire and replaced it with a chain that runs UNDER the wire.
- no more triangle elastics using the Kangaroos. Now its' the Fox elastics in a straight line from the eye teeth to the first molars.
- some kind of small metal clamps on the upper wire in front of the first molars to prevent them from moving forward.
- more chain over all 4 upper front teeth to close gaps that showed up when they got un-rotated at the beginning of treatment. But this chain is OVER the wire, not under.

So the pain level was lower than at previous adjustments because there wasn't a new wire, but it's certainly not pain-free. Still took the painkillers prior to the appt, and was glad to have them!

Also, lessons for the future:
- always get a dental cleaning the day or two prior to the next adjustment. It just worked out that way this time and it was almost a pain-free cleaning, even with all the scraping and poking.
- spend the money on a sonic toothbrush. I did (an Oral B), thinking it would be a waste of money, but it makes such a difference I was shocked. The amount of crap that comes off on the floss is probably reduced by at least 80%!

And just to put my $0.02 into some of the conversations in other areas about the ortho not spending time to explain stuff - the way it works in my office (and i'm pretty happy with it) is that the assistant does a preliminary look-see, guestimates what he's going to say, then the ortho comes by and looks around and spews off a ton of technical mumbo-jumbo and then leaves, then the assistant translates what he said and actually puts all the stuff in/makes the adjustments. This might not work for some people, but i've got total confidence in all of the assistants, so I know that if they're not sure, they will double check.

That's all for now.

srg1977

#10 Post by srg1977 »

Ok, this was a new one for me, the ortho's office, and i've never read anything about it on here:

There was one spot between the 2nd premolar and the first molar on the upper left side where the gum kept getting swelled up and would start bleeding if I touched it. I figured that there was just food stuck there and just flossed the heck out of it for a few days, but it just kept getting worse. Well, I was brushing at lunch, and I see something BLUE wedged in between the teeth.

I get in to see the ortho this afternoon, and it was a SPACER! Note: I had spacers 6 months ago!!!

The assistant's theory was that when I had the spacers in, it moved up and out of sight and when I couldn't see it, assumed that it had fallen out and then put a replacement one in. And when they removed the spacers, they took out the replacement, but didn't know that the original was still there. And so it took this long for the gums to reject the foreign object and move it out.

I feel pretty lucky that it didn't cause other problems like an infection!

So, lessons learned:

- I guess don't assume that just becuase you can't see a spacer don't automatically assume that it fell out.

- If things start bleeding and swelling up suddenly, there's a problem that needs to be looked at. Always go in to get it checked out. But on the other hand, if the assistant hadn't been able to see the blue, the last thing she would have thought the problem would have been was a spacer. Oh well.

srg1977

#11 Post by srg1977 »

Not a lot new to update on. My next adjustment isn't until Jan 25.

But i'm noticing that i'm starting to bite down and hit the lower brackets, especially when the elastics are in at night. When I wake up in the morning my bottoms are jammed up right against the back of my front teeth so i'm a little worried that they are pushing the top front ones out. Hopefully this will be a very temporary thing, or I might have to ask for those turbo things that other people talk about...nothing can be as annoying as trying to rest my top teeth in the space between the bottom tooth and the bracket.

On a side note, my company christmas party was a couple of weeks ago. I ended up getting hit with the stomach flu about an hour into it that lasted for about 3 days. There was no way I was wearing elastics during that episode, so when I was over it and started again, it was like i was starting from scratch again - headaches, sore teeth, and a little bit of bleeding around the teeth that were elastic'd. But it only lasted 2 nights or so, and now it's back to normal. I didn't think that a couple of days of non-wear would make a difference, but it definitely does.

Anyway, as I sit here and watch the Charlie Brown Christmas on TV, I hope everyone has a great christmas and happy new year!

sportsgrl97

#12 Post by sportsgrl97 »

Hey srg1977!

Sorry to hear that you got the flu... that's a bummer :(

that's strange to hear that it hurt to put the rubberbands back in after 3 days.. honestly, i forgot to wear mine for a month and when i went to put them back in, they might have been a little tender but nothing stopping me from biting into something hard like an apple. your teeth must be majorly sensitive! which that has to be a big bummer because after all the adjustments u cant eat anything. hopefully your teeth will stop being sensitive soon and u wont feel that much pain anymore.

Michelle

srg1977

#13 Post by srg1977 »

And it's adjustment time again!

I suspected today was going to be busy, and I wasn't disappointed:

- a new stronger wire on the lowers
- powerchain all around the lowers - from 1st molar on one side to 1st molar on the other side.
- new powerchain on the top front 4 teeth
- the same fox elastics, but now it's up to 24 hour wear

And it's back to soup for me.... :(. And I found a recipe for bran muffins that makes an enormous batch, but you can keep the batter in the fridge for over a month and just bake a few at a time. So hopefully those can get mashed down and eaten.

The biggest hassle is definitely wearing the elastics 24/7. It's nearly impossible to talk, and I had meetings/conference calls all day (the adjustment was done first thing this morning). 2 Advil migrane pills got me through to noon, and then I switched to Aleve, so it's tolerable. And if I thought the random snacking was reduced before, it's going to shortly become non-existent.

Cheers!

srg1977

#14 Post by srg1977 »

Yeah, it's been hard to adjust to this new stuff. Plus i'm starting to get a rash on the corners of my mouth, so it's off to see a doctor to see if i'm allergic to the rubber in the elastics. When it was only a few hours of wear a day, it wasn't that bad but now it's one more annoyance on top of the normal pain and added hassle. I've got allergies to a whole list of other things, so i'm not totally suprised if that's what it is. Do they even make elastics without rubber in them??

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Refridgerator Bran Muffins
Ingredients:
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup Crisco or margarine (I prefer margarine)
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups 100% bran
- 4 cups Bran Flakes cereal
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart (1 litre) buttermilk
- 2 cups raisins - optional
- 5 cups white flour

Method:
Pour boiling water over 100% bran and let stand while creaming margarine and sugar in a separate bowl (the largest one you have in your kitchen!). Add eggs to 100% bran mixture, then add buttermilk. Sift flour, salt and soda into bowl with sugar in it, then add Bran Flakes. Fold in wet ingredients until moist throughout, then add raisins. Cover and put batter in fridge. Do not bake first day. Batter can be kept up to 6 weeks in fridge. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

srg1977

#15 Post by srg1977 »

So this isn't actually a braces update, but everything ties together, right?

It's been a very unpleasant week. I got dizzy and blacked out at work early this week. Fell off my chair and hit my head pretty hard on the floor. Co-workers called an ambulance and I spent all of the day and part of the night in the ER. No one's sure what exactly caused it, but I'm left with big lumps on my head where I hit the ground, drugs to treat what might be causing the problem but have pretty harsh side effects, and the possibility that it might happen again becuase they don't know what caused it in the first place.

On the upside, I didn't hit the front of my face on the floor (I went down sideways) because if that had happened there would have definitly been tooth/lip cuts or damage. Also, with all the painkillers for headaches, my teeth don't hurt as much as they normally do becuase i've tried to make an effort to take less drugs.

But i've also been pretty lax about wearing elastics for the last few days. Hopefully it won't delay things too much, but honestly it doesn't seem like a priority compared to all the other stuff. But i'm starting to feel wire pokes, so I might have a trip to the ortho to make pretty quick.

Anyway, i'm just feeling sorry for myself right now becuase I had to cancel playing in a volleyball tournament this weekend. I'm still pretty exhausted, so just getting to work and back is an effort these days.