My story....

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

My story....

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi, I am sure glad I found this site as it has answered a lot of my questions.

My adventure into braces (to be put on Dec. 1, 2004) started when I made a trip to the Preiodontist for gum bleeding in the summer of 2003. I found out that I needed skin grafts put over 7 (seven) of my teeth! Before that was done, however, my dentist sent me to see an orthodontist - turns out, had I had braces as a youngster, I wouldn't have had to have all the periodontal work. To make a long story short, I had the skin grafts done - (in two sessions) at the beginning of 2004. I have waited for the braces, do to economics.

I have been given the option of using Invisalign trays, but after all my research and the cost differential, I am planning on getting metal braces.
I am sure the pain will be more, but feel the ortodontist can accomplish more with the regular braces - if I am going to shell out loads of money, I want the best possible outcome. Also, I would rather expand my arch than have my teeth shaved - I have a very small mouth. My teeth are straight, but the front four over lap, my bite is bad and I have an overbite.

Looking forward to looking like a teenager again - it's been 30 something years! 8)

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Dodger(UK)

#2 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Hi Attagirl2, thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on making your decision to have ortho treatment, hope it doesn't spoil your xmas too much, as the first few weeks take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll be fine. :wink:

I think I may be a candidate for a couple of skin grafts after my braces have come off, as 2 of my cuspids (canine's) have receded a little - how was the procedure for you, did it hurt, and have the results been ok?? :D

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi Dodger(UK),

Thanks for replying. Hopefully Christmas will be ok. It will definiately cut down on my indulging in sweets! Yeah!!!! I think I do better than some people with pain, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

As for the skin grafts, it really wasn't all that bad. I took two Ibuprophin before I left the Periodontist's office and then again a couple more times. By the next afternoon, I was doing well. The biggy is to leave the area alone - they put a putty covering over it. Also, have to clean area and the graft area with a swab and special rinse. Other teeth get brushed as normal. The area where the skin comes from is inside the roof of your mouth, to the side. You can't even tell skin tissue was removed, if you looked inside my mouth. I think it sounds worse than it is....