Favourite Chewing gum?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirst1583

#1 Post by kirst1583 »

I was told to chew gum all the time, especially after adjustments. As long as it's sugar free!
That doesn't leave too many options here though so I generally just stick with any variety of Extra :wink:

CelestialVoices

#2 Post by CelestialVoices »

I can't chew gum at all, sugarless or otherwise.....I miss it.

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

I chewed (well I still do, actually) any and all Orbit gum. It is delicious, long-lasting, and the commercials are hilarious ;)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

bahamasblondear

#4 Post by bahamasblondear »

peppermint orbitz for me!

CelestialVoices

#5 Post by CelestialVoices »

johnnys_angel wrote:I chewed (well I still do, actually) any and all Orbit gum. It is delicious, long-lasting, and the commercials are hilarious ;)
I agree, they are really funny..."FABULOUS!" :P :lol:

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

My ortho told me not to chew gum however when i get stressed i have to chew to calm me down, so i took the plunge a week or two after by braces were put on. I tend to chew cool breeze extra and i have had no problems with that and my fixed braces.

Although I remember a few years ago when i had hawleys getting bubble gum stuck to that and it taking ages to clean off.

*Denise*

#7 Post by *Denise* »

Image Extra sugar-free gum. Can't do without these. :D

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

I couldn't chew gum at all when I had my braces on. I tried, but even with Freedent, and I didn't like how it felt. The gum kept feeling like it was sticking on my brackets and it was just really uncomfortable -- not pleasurable at all.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

DichCa

#9 Post by DichCa »

I'm surprised that some of you were told to chew gum! :shock: lucky! Mine told me not to and as much as I want to, trying to obey the rules. Even more than rules, I'm a bit scared to try it, cause I feel like it will suck the bracket off ..hmm, not sure if that's ever the case. So far I've been sticking to mints, but might give gum a shot.

Before braces though, Extra was my fave..
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

not2worry39212

#10 Post by not2worry39212 »

I wondered how the "no gum" rule was going to apply in my life, I absolutlely love to chew it with bubble gum being my favorite. I've been braced for a little over a month and have only tried sugar free bubble yum and the extra flavors. I've not had any trouble with sticking but the chewing sensation feels wierd so I don't really like gum anymore.... :cry:

OneTime

#11 Post by OneTime »

Have to love the orbit.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

kirst1583

#12 Post by kirst1583 »

I really like the new limited edition Extra 'Blueberry' flavour! It's just like Grape HubbaBubba, but better for your teeth :wink:
Yeah - I've got to agree with you there.
Only problem is you pay about the same amount for a pack of those as you do for the normal 3 pack of extra!

Wyo_Stacy

#13 Post by Wyo_Stacy »

I too was told NOT to chew it but I do. I had friends that told me it would get rid of pain after adjustments quicker. At first I didn't believe, but now I grab my Orbit as soon as I get to my car. It amazes me how much quicker the pain goes away with it. :D

ThisIsMary

#14 Post by ThisIsMary »

I chew orbitz and have chewed it during my entire treatment. I love gum and there was no way I was letting braces keep me from chewing it. The asst who put my top braces on told me she chewed gum when she had her braces, but she had to tell me I shouldn't chew gum. She told me just make sure you don't come into the office chewing gum and I would be good
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom

CelestialVoices

#15 Post by CelestialVoices »

Gum causing a laxative effect? Yuck :P
Since I'm not allowed to chew gum at all, I just bite down on the cherry (scented but not flavored) bite wafer I got in my goodie bag, blech :)