Favourite Chewing gum?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

#31 Post by gunter8888 »

Cinnamon Orbit. Arrrg! I am all out! I always have a pack (or two) in my backpack.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Matilda

Re: Favourite Chewing gum?

#32 Post by Matilda »

Chewing gum? What's a chewing gum? I haven't had one in almost 18 months. :shock:

cs2thecox

#33 Post by cs2thecox »

Freedent! It's the only one I know of that's brace-safe as it's designed not to stick to dental work.
But you can't get it in the UK any more :(

I had a friend send me some from the US but it has sugar in so it makes my teeth feel all furry.
BUT I found the sugar free kind in France when I went skiing last week and bought 12 packs. I should be good for a while :lol:

I'm too scared to try any other kinds of gum with braces - I don't want to have to spend HOURS picking it out if it sticks, particularly as I have linguals which are a pain to keep clean anyway!

28monthjourney

#34 Post by 28monthjourney »

I can't chew gum, but I used to chew trident gum (they come in bulk at SAM's club) which has xylitol, a kind of sugar that starves plaque and prevents it from collecting on the teeth! I've never tried freedent, but my dad used to chew it all the time.
Sentence:
28 months in full upper and lower braces, open coil spring for additional alignment space for permanent teeth to erupt, elastics to align back bite, bite turbos, and palate expander.

metalliKa

#35 Post by metalliKa »

I don't prefer a particular brand just as long it's sugar free and minty in flavor. Currently in my bag is a pack of Wrigley's Extra Longlasting Flavor in Polar Ice.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

tidalwave14

#36 Post by tidalwave14 »

I tried to chew gum for the first time a couple of days ago and it was horrible. It felt like it was sticking to everything. I read that once you are farther along in treatment, the wires get thicker and maybe that will be a better time to try chewing.

kacmins

#37 Post by kacmins »

[quote="tidalwave14"]I tried to chew gum for the first time a couple of days ago and it was horrible. It felt like it was sticking to everything. I read that once you are farther along in treatment, the wires get thicker and maybe that will be a better time to try chewing.[/quote]

I was going through one pack a day of Orbit since I quit smoking 1.5 year ago and haven't had one since I got braced (6 days ago). I too think we should wait a couple of months until the wires are thicker, as the ones we have on now would probably get bent pretty soon from all that chewing.

teeebeee

#38 Post by teeebeee »

I was told not to have chewing gum which was a bit of a bugger given that I used to have it when I needed to concentrate hard (like the evil drive to my Dad's!)

What are people's experiences of chewing with retainers? I have an essix upper.

I would love the odd bit of chewing gum when I'm driving...

T xx

Kaelyn

#39 Post by Kaelyn »

Ortho said I should chew it, provided it was sugar free. Extra all the way.

samsung95

#40 Post by samsung95 »

I'm new here but for me it has to be Airwaves menthol, feels so fresh afterwards!