Weight loss

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carnations

Re: Weight loss

#16 Post by Carnations »

I'm a week in braces and I've lost a few pounds already, but I don't want to lose any more as I'm not overweight. I'm not really snacking any more because of the faff of having to clean my teeth/braces every time. That and the fact that most of my favourite foods are on the forbidden list. I've always loved hard, crunchy, chewy foods, and used to snack on almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazils all day... not any more!

adorkable8605

#17 Post by adorkable8605 »

I've had braces for 2 weeks and lost 4 lbs...Hoping for more because I am snacking less, eater healthier, and getting more serious at the gym.

dreadpirateweasley

#18 Post by dreadpirateweasley »

Didn't lose any weight. I think it's due to my eating schedule with Invisalign. Can't spread out meals? Eating all the calories at once.

PerthGirl26

#19 Post by PerthGirl26 »

I have had my braces for 2.5 weeks and lost 4 kilograms. This is the most expensive diet I've ever been on! :HugeGrin:

gpac

#20 Post by gpac »

I haven't really lost any weight since I've had braces on.

sowonky

#21 Post by sowonky »

I've had mine for 3 days and lost 4lbs already. I am carrying a lot of baby and Christmas weight so have plenty of fat reserves stored up! I have about 30lbs to lose so I'm hoping braces will help stop me mindlessly snacking.,

Ness

#22 Post by Ness »

I'm thinking this is probably going to happen for me too, everything I usually eat involves lots of chewing

cs2thecox

#23 Post by cs2thecox »

I lost a bit at the beginning when eating was just horrid, but then I realised that I could suck on squares of chocolate and drink wine... :roll:

PerthGirl26

#24 Post by PerthGirl26 »

** Update ** I've lost a total of 11 kgs since I got the braces on! I am still on a mostly soft food diet but the main difference is I no longer snack between meals.
Damon Braces - clear on upper, metal on lower
Sentence - 24 to 30 months
Class II Bimaxillary Protrusion

KayKay

#25 Post by KayKay »

I've lost 12 pounds since I started my braces adventure - lingual arch for 4 months and now braces for 2 weeks. Mainly its because eating snacks is so much work, I do without. ANd also because many of the things that I would typically eat without thinking of the calories - is impossible - like chips/salsa served before a meal. Hard crunchy foods is still out.

Ice cream is in. But somehow I'm not overdoing it.

I'm missing salad though, which I really enjoy. Its too much work to eat (the thin lettuce is impossible to chew up still - ) and too much work to clean up. So I'm doing without.

But I can eat very very thin slices of apple and those Halo little tangerines have been my snack of choice. :) Yummy.
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

leadfoot4life

#26 Post by leadfoot4life »

I get my braces on March 2nd. I am going to Aruba in May and have been working out a lot but hopefully I will lose weight when I get them on too! I wouldn't mind ;) Most of the foods I tend to snack on are going to be forbidden to me soon anyways (almonds, popcorn, chips, etc)

wmills

#27 Post by wmills »

I'm hoping I lose some :D . I know just having spacers, I get tired of trying to chew, so just give up about 1/2 way through. Seems like it just takes to long. Right now, i've found that fish is tolerable. Guess that's a good thing. At least its healthy.

ItsFreyja

#28 Post by ItsFreyja »

Obligatory first post! 30-something getting braced in a couple of months, and WORRIED about weight loss. I'm a pretty petite woman with a history of losing too much weight during illnesses, morning sickness of pregnancy, etc. Seems like I should try to gain a few pounds before the spacers go on? Or can I eat enough ice cream to maintain my weight?

cs2thecox

#29 Post by cs2thecox »

Oh there are PLENTY of high-calorie soft foods :lol:

If you're looking for balance and keeping up your calorie intake when you don't feel like chewing, then it's worth looking in to some of the sports nutrition products, particularly the post-workout protein shakes. Probably NOT the weight loss ones as they're normally stuffed with caffeine...

You can do worse than Slim Fast (I assume it exists worldwide?) shakes and soups as they're tailored as a full meal replacement and pretty well nutritionally balanced. Just use more of them than a dieter would to maintain your normal calorie intake.

Yeah, or ice cream... :wink:

ItsFreyja

#30 Post by ItsFreyja »

Thanks cs2thecox! GNC, here I come!