How do you keep your teeth looking white?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jbird

Re: How do you keep your teeth looking white?

#16 Post by Jbird »

I have used the white strips once, and have made an effort to get off coffee, tea, wine. That way the teeth don't stain. But if you do drink one of the above, I've read to swish after each sip with water and then brush when you're done.

friendlyturtle

#17 Post by friendlyturtle »

I use the Crest 3D Whiting line of products and they seem to have maintained the shade of my teeth. Sometimes I switch over to Colgate whiting toothpaste and that also seems to do just as well as Crest.

puckloo

#18 Post by puckloo »

I use Crest Complete Whitening toothpaste and rinse with peroxide. I figure that way I can keep the stains to a minimum, although I might be fooling myself. The tech who put my brackets on (2 months ago) complimented me on how pretty my tooth color is (was?) so I am trying to maintain at least. I think my teeth look a bit dingier than they did, before. But it could be because the brackets are making them look a different color.

reen71b

#19 Post by reen71b »

I used a baking soda based whitening toothpaste before and after braces. I had no stains on my teeth when debanded 2 weeks ago.

LittleTooth

#20 Post by LittleTooth »

peroxyl. Contains hydrogen peroxide, which I guess, does the job.

cakers

#21 Post by cakers »

I can understand the reasoning behind not starting to whiten your teeth with braces on, since the area under the bracket won’t get whitened and won’t match. But what if one was already using something like 3D White and had very white teeth to begin with? Isn’t that just maintenance? I started off with very white teeth and switched to a sensitivity toothpaste the day I got my braces on, but I worry my teeth will get stained if I don’t use the 3D White, at least on occasion, especially since I made the mistake of swishing with a CPC mouthwash before I learned it could cause staining. I wonder if using a whitening toothpaste a few times a week is okay. Nobody at my ortho told me not to, and I am darn sure they all must be using something too, since their teeth are super white!

cakers

#22 Post by cakers »

puckloo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm I use Crest Complete Whitening toothpaste and rinse with peroxide. I figure that way I can keep the stains to a minimum, although I might be fooling myself. The tech who put my brackets on (2 months ago) complimented me on how pretty my tooth color is (was?) so I am trying to maintain at least. I think my teeth look a bit dingier than they did, before. But it could be because the brackets are making them look a different color.
I do think the brackets kind if cast a shadow on the portion of the tooth closest to the gum!

EmilyTravels

#23 Post by EmilyTravels »

cakers wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:00 pm I can understand the reasoning behind not starting to whiten your teeth with braces on, since the area under the bracket won’t get whitened and won’t match. But what if one was already using something like 3D White and had very white teeth to begin with? Isn’t that just maintenance? I started off with very white teeth and switched to a sensitivity toothpaste the day I got my braces on, but I worry my teeth will get stained if I don’t use the 3D White, at least on occasion, especially since I made the mistake of swishing with a CPC mouthwash before I learned it could cause staining. I wonder if using a whitening toothpaste a few times a week is okay. Nobody at my ortho told me not to, and I am darn sure they all must be using something too, since their teeth are super white!
I completely agree with your reasoning. Although my ortho and tech said not to use any whitening products on my teeth, mine were pretty white going in, so I have used a "gentle whitening" paste once daily along with plain Sensodyne twice daily. They still look more discolored than pre-braces. When I got a dental cleaning while in braces, they looked whiter for awhile, but over the past few months have gotten a bit more yellow. I drink coffee and eat curry, etc. I do swish and brush after every meal, but my teeth do tend to discolor and stain a bit over time. I got a lot of staining from CPC mouthwash my first month in braces, which thankfully the dental cleaning was able to take care of. The hygienist did comment on the amount of staining since my previous appointment, though!

So, yes, I think you are probably safe using your 3D white occasionally, or get a "gentle" whitening toothpaste (many different choices, just read the labels) and use once daily, for maintenance.

cbraces678

#24 Post by cbraces678 »

Does anyone else get some staining in between their teeth that they can't get rid of? I have always been seriously anal about keeping my teeth clean. No matter how well I brush, I can't seem to get rid of the staining. My front 6 teeth don't have any thank goodness, so it isn't visible to others, but it really bothers me. I have tried switching toothpastes and such. I've been to the dentist for a cleaning , and it came back shortly after (I was paranoid it was plaque or poor hygiene, they assured me it's just staining and not causing any harm). I drink 1 coffee in the morning, but brush after. It drives me nuts lol!! Anybody else have the same issue???

EmilyTravels

#25 Post by EmilyTravels »

Yes, I do too. And it's been worse with braces. I get it on the back of my top teeth and with braces, on the front and between my bottom teeth. I also drink coffee (just 1.5 cups in the morning and also rinse & brush afterwards). Like you, my front top "social six" teeth don't seem to stain the way some of the others do (except on the back, where it doesn't show).

You aren't using a mouthwash with CPC, by any chance? That can cause staining, as I recently found out. I switched mouthwashes and get much less staining between dental cleanings now, but I still get some. I think some of us are just more prone to it than others. For me, it's gotten worse as I've gotten older, perhaps due to aging processes of the teeth themselves. I am 57, and my teeth still look great for my age, but not by the standards of someone under 30.

cbraces678

#26 Post by cbraces678 »

EmilyTravels wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:35 am Yes, I do too. And it's been worse with braces. I get it on the back of my top teeth and with braces, on the front and between my bottom teeth. I also drink coffee (just 1.5 cups in the morning and also rinse & brush afterwards). Like you, my front top "social six" teeth don't seem to stain the way some of the others do (except on the back, where it doesn't show).

You aren't using a mouthwash with CPC, by any chance? That can cause staining, as I recently found out. I switched mouthwashes and get much less staining between dental cleanings now, but I still get some. I think some of us are just more prone to it than others. For me, it's gotten worse as I've gotten older, perhaps due to aging processes of the teeth themselves. I am 57, and my teeth still look great for my age, but not by the standards of someone under 30.
It is comforting to know it is not just me. I swear I do the best job I can! And no, I use the Listerine line and it doesn't contain CPC. I actually started out brushing my teeth with Crest Pro Health which contains stannous fluoride that stains, so I have definitely not used that since I found out either!

Wire

#27 Post by Wire »

I had naturally very white teeth before getting braces 6 months ago. People always commented on how white my teeth are. It kind of kept me from getting braces sooner, I had gaps in my teeth (missing lateral incisors) but at least my teeth were straight-ish and white. Since braces, my teeth are yellow, no matter how well I brush! I've read its the glue they use to glue the brackets on. After dental hygiene they are white again, but only for a couple of days! So now I have braces at 42, great big gaps next to my front teeth on both sides where I will hopefully get implants in about 2 years time and yellow teeth. Ugh, it makes me feel very unattractive and self conscious, I just hope it'll be all worth it at the end!! Several people commented why did I get braces since my teeth were so lovely apparently before...I did try several whitening toothpastes with not much result, but will keep trying. Or I just be super ugly for next few years 🤷