Water Pik instead of flossing?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

shekhinak

Re: Water Pik instead of flossing?

#16 Post by shekhinak »

I just came back from a business trip, and I had a portable Water Pik with me. Glad I did, because it really helps cleaning out the wires and brackets. The portable version comes with a pouch that I can just keep in a backpack that I take on the plane with me.

As for flossing, it takes longer with the brackets on, but it does get quicker with practice. I found that "Superfloss" is just too big for the tight spaces, and so it shreds when I use it. I use a flat waxed floss instead, and I just tie it to floss threaders. So it works just like Superfloss, in that you don't have to thread the "needle" every time, but I get to use the type of floss that works best for me.

badbites

#17 Post by badbites »

I love my Waterpik...it's the only way to really clean above my appliance and the only way to clean between my top teeth at the moment.

I use both it and regular floss on my bottom teeth though.

kellyb

#18 Post by kellyb »

i am actually thinking of getting a waterpik but not sure if it is worth it. i would prefer a portable one. any recommendations? i am based in the uk

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

stevo1985

#19 Post by stevo1985 »

Hi Kelly,

Hope you're well? I bought a water pik today from boots currently on offer for £45. First impressions seem good as I don't floss i just brush and mouthwash so hopefully this will improve my dental hygiene..

Cheers

stevo1985

#20 Post by stevo1985 »

Forgot to add the one I got is not portable which is a pain but I was just looking for the top one which is wp100 or something.

jamsession

#21 Post by jamsession »

I have just had my braces a few weeks and have been so happy I bought a water pik. It was around $60 at Costco and came with BOTH the portable and the sink top versions.

The pik is so fast and convenient for getting out all that stuck food. Makes my mouth feel great.

houseofcash

#22 Post by houseofcash »

***UPDATE***

Well after having my braces on for over a year now, I can confirm that the water pik is an alternative to flossing. I had such a hard time threading that floss between my teeth, I would often spend 15 to 20mins just flossing.

That being said, I have not flossed once after starting this post over a year ago. Instead I use my water pik and have found these tiny brushes (size of a tooth pick) and it work just perfect! Due to my braces I get a cleaning every 3 months, and every time my dentist comments on how great my teeth are and I'm doing a fantastic job with my flossing/brushing :-D

pellepee

#23 Post by pellepee »

houseofcash, try flossing with thread now; if your gums bleed and hurt I'd find a new dentist. I only found out last year that I didn't floss properly from a new dentist I saw (I was flossing the teeth only, not going in under the gum-line), as previously not one single dentist I'd ever seen had ever mentioned the health of my gums and some even said they were good. They hurt and bled while flossing, for a time, but now I have healthy pink gums and no morning breath.

On another note, everyone is mentioning that they brush and then floss: Shouldn't you be flossing (to get food out, and bacteria out from under the gum line) and then brush so the toothpaste and brush kills/removes that bacteria that you have just dislodged? Or does it even matter, is it just preference?

I am purely curious just because I was taught that routine by a dental nurse who went around schools to teach kids how to care for their teeth, and its her voice I hear whenever I start to go through the motions.

AdultGettingBraces

#24 Post by AdultGettingBraces »

I to brush after flossing for the same reason

djspeece

#25 Post by djspeece »

I have transformed into some sort of OCD for oral hygeiene after having my braces applied about a month ago :D . Bought one of each "tool' that was recommended, including a half dozen travel toothbrushes that I stash in my cars, my office, you name it. Phew, at age 62 what an experience! My team recommended the waterpik as an alternative and it works great for me. It seems to really blast below the gum line. And the junk it washes out after a meal -- how disgusting is that? I'm an RN, but I gotta tell you seeing the debris come out of my mouth was - ahh, weird. I bought the ultra model as well as the portable for the office -- my colleagues see me with my kit coming down the hall and just get that look, like what in the world is Dan up to now? This is a great site -- wish I had found it earlier -- but I will continue to learn stuff here! Many thanks to all for sharing your stories.

gappedmouth

#26 Post by gappedmouth »

I don't have braces yet but I have a waterpik. I have found that I need both the waterpik and floss.

MiscBrah

#27 Post by MiscBrah »

They have their prons and cons.

The water pik is indeed better at getting food out, but it is not as effective at removing plaque as regular flossing. As far as I'm concerned, 1 or 2 years of not flossing and using a water pik is fine for people with braces. My routine pre-braces was water pik 5x a week, flossing 2x a week, my routine with braces is water pik 7x a week.

Veviticus

#28 Post by Veviticus »

I am so very glad that I found your blog. It is extremely informational and inspiring! Thanks for putting it all together. :jump:

djspeece

#29 Post by djspeece »

houseofcash wrote:***UPDATE***

Well after having my braces on for over a year now, I can confirm that the water pik is an alternative to flossing. I had such a hard time threading that floss between my teeth, I would often spend 15 to 20mins just flossing.

That being said, I have not flossed once after starting this post over a year ago. Instead I use my water pik and have found these tiny brushes (size of a tooth pick) and it work just perfect! Due to my braces I get a cleaning every 3 months, and every time my dentist comments on how great my teeth are and I'm doing a fantastic job with my flossing/brushing :-D
That has been my experience as well. When I first got the braces in September (2102) I went to the dental aisle at a local drug store and bought one of everything that I thought I might remotely need. Most of it still sits unopened.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kids041

#30 Post by kids041 »

I too love my water pik... I don't have my braces yet, but my dentist told me I have the gums of a teenager, which is from using my water pik I know. I am excited to see how good of a job it does on my teeth once I get them on in 2 months!