How should I brush my teeth?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

How should I brush my teeth?

#1 Post by luchababe »

(I posted this in another area but now I realize I should have put it here :oops: )

As I got my braces yesterday, I was told once AGAIN that I'm brushing too hard. Geez!!

I use one of these http://www.oralb.com/products/capower/ with a soft head, I have for years. I barely, BARELY put pressure on my teeth as I brush but apparently it's too much. If I brush any lighter, I might as well just wave the brush in front of my face. But, last night I just ever so gently held the brush on each tooth. First angled down on top of the bracket, then flat on the bracket, then angled up on the bottom of the bracket.

How do you you all brush? My boyfriend has the same brush but really goes to town when he brushes and he never gets comments from the dentist.

Thanks.

ChefNique

Re: How should I brush my teeth?

#2 Post by ChefNique »

I do the angle top, front, then angle bottom routine and I brush in circles. That has been helping me during this first week with my braces.

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

luchababe wrote:(I posted this in another area but now I realize I should have put it here :oops: )

But, last night I just ever so gently held the brush on each tooth. First angled down on top of the bracket, then flat on the bracket, then angled up on the bottom of the bracket.

Thanks.

That's exactly the correct way to do it. Angle down on on the bracket, flat across the front, and angle up from beneath the bracket. Of course don't forget the biting surfaces of all teeth, getting far enough to the back molars, and your tongue.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

luchababe wrote:
But, last night I just ever so gently held the brush on each tooth. First angled down on top of the bracket, then flat on the bracket, then angled up on the bottom of the bracket.

Thanks.

That's exactly the correct way to do it. Angle down on the bracket from above, flat across the front, and angle up from beneath the bracket. Of course don't forget the biting surfaces of all teeth, getting far enough to the back molars, the backs of the teeth, and your tongue.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

frankiecgsw

#5 Post by frankiecgsw »

i brushed really really carefully like you in the beginning stage. top angle, bottom angle, circular motion and really slow. but now i go crazy all over hahah

psychopomp1

#6 Post by psychopomp1 »

Hi
I'm in UK and around 5 weeks ago i had fixed braces fitted. I normally use an Oral B electric toothbrush with floss action heads. Now i'm not 100% sure but i *think* my orthodontist said to avoid brushing over the brackets/ligatures so i've been using my electric toothbrush to brush at/above the gumline on my upper teeth and at/below the gumline on my lower teeth....ie i avoid brushing over the brackets :shock: However i seem to have acummulated lots of plaque in the unbrushed areas even though i use a small tepe brush to pick out food bits where i don't brush. Reading this thread it seems i SHOULD be brushing over the brackets (obviously with gentle pressure), is this correct? Obviously when your braces cost £4500 ($7000) the last thing you want is to damage them!

Also should i switch from the Oral B floss action heads to the ortho heads which i presume are gentler? I'll be seeing the hygienist to have my teeth cleaned next week (i think a tablet of ibuprofen is recommended otherwise the cleaning will hurt like hell), no doubt she'll be screaming at me for having poor oral hygiene LOL

hazybubbles

#7 Post by hazybubbles »

You must brush the brackets otherwise they will be disgusting and covered in plaque!! Your orthodontist probably ment don't JUST brush over the brackets as if they weren't there, and therefore miss parts of your teeth out that are under the wires.

mitboi

#8 Post by mitboi »

Getting braces on Friday. Thanks for the tips guys!

Bracedbeauty22

#9 Post by Bracedbeauty22 »

I got an orthodontic tooth brush from my ortho. She didn't mention a special technique for brushing with it so I'll have to ask her at my follow up.

cs2thecox

#10 Post by cs2thecox »

Also should i switch from the Oral B floss action heads to the ortho heads which i presume are gentler? I'll be seeing the hygienist to have my teeth cleaned next week (i think a tablet of ibuprofen is recommended otherwise the cleaning will hurt like hell), no doubt she'll be screaming at me for having poor oral hygiene LOL
Yes, stop with the floss action heads - the little yellow plastic bits are too brutal on brackets.
My orthodontist pointed out that the only clinical study that shows the ortho heads are any good was commissioned by Oral B, so you can't exactly trust that. The independent studies show that the normal (not floss action, just normal) brush heads are just as effective if not more so than the ortho heads.

I was taught NOT to scrub at my brackets, but to do the top, face and bottom of each bracket, holding the brush still for a couple of seconds in each position. Takes ages, but easy peasy.
The other side of my teeth and biting surfaces are done exactly as normal. (I have lingual braces, so that's the outside of my teeth, but will be the inside for normal people!)

I'm having massive success with the WaterPik for keeping plaque under control - my hygenist was impressed the other week. You can get them in bigger Boots or order online and have it delivered to your local branch.

girlgonemild

#11 Post by girlgonemild »

I do the chewing/biting surfaces, then bottom angle, then top angle, the backs of the teeth, then lightly do an "all over" scrub in small circles LIGHTLY LIGHTLY LIGHTLY. This is how the assistant told me to brush