mouthwash reacting with braces - green stuff

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

amyk00025

mouthwash reacting with braces - green stuff

#1 Post by amyk00025 »

Has anyone else experienced mouthwash reacting to their metal braces? When I use Scope or the new Crest "pro-health" mouthwash, it starts clotting up and I end up with small bits of green stuff hanging on to the metal parts of my braces.

It's not a problem with Listerine or Targon mouthwash.

What is this from? Is it bad to leave this stuff on your appliances?

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

hmmm that's wierd, it's never happened to me before and I've used Scope and Listerine. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! ~Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

krisztina

#3 Post by krisztina »

maybe ur usin some off mouthwash!! Have you checked the use by date!??

hehe

:D

amyk00025

#4 Post by amyk00025 »

It is not old mouthwash -- it is new. I can hardly believe no one else has experienced this.

malikara

#5 Post by malikara »

I think it's the mouthwash. I tried a new one out (UK) called Dentyl. There are 2 varieties - pink and green. The pink one gives me pink stuff and the green one gives me green stuff! I think it really must be down to the active ingredients in the mouthwash. I've now gone back to my usual one.

SW

#6 Post by SW »

Do you think it is a reaction with the metal or maybe the ligatures? I don't know what to tell you, I have metal braces too, no ligatures though, although I do have powerchains and elastics right now. I use Cepacol or Biotene (which has no alcohol) and have not had any issues.
STEPHANIE

tornadomrca

#7 Post by tornadomrca »

with dentyl ph this is not a reaction with any orthodontic appliance but the intended function of the mouthwash, it coagulates and removes bacteria etc in your mouth which can cause bad breath and other dental problems if you read the product literature it tells you this, the stuff you spit into the basin is just the bacteria that have been stuck together by the mouthwash.

#8 Post by Guest »

another possibility, which may sound dumb... have you checked to see if you still have any food in your mooth before the mouthwash goes in? This happened to me once with listerine... I had been eating Domino's Chicken Kickers, kinda like chicken tenders, and knew that they were all in my brackets... I was busy doing something so I couldn't brush my teeth for about 45 minutes, and after I did, I used some of blue listerine. At this point I had forgot what I had eaten and was just thinking about refreshing my mouth. I gargled and swished and then spit... Blue stuff/gunk was in the sink... I thought the same thing... either my mouthwash is old or something had a reaction. Sadly, I have to admit, I didn't figure it out until the next time this happened. Under closer examination of my teeth before the mouthwash and the gunk after... it was mushed up chicken... but yeah, this can happen with chips or bread or anything like that too. Just an idea.

Lucy

#9 Post by Lucy »

Sounds like after using the mouth wash you have still lots of plague in your mouth. You should remove this with a toothbrush and brush slowly. Maybe your rushing your dental hygiene. I use dently mouthwash. It is great shows up any plague that you haven't brushed away. This is a positive thing as long as you remember to clean it before leaving the house.

kelly12300

#10 Post by kelly12300 »

I've noticed when I use some mouthwash I get green stuff coming out of my mouth but it doesn't stick to my braces. It is weird because it never happened before I had braces
~*~Kelly~*~

yankee boy

#11 Post by yankee boy »

I also just bought the new Crest Pro Health rinse and I like it no burns and the best thing is it leaves your breath feeling FRESH for hours! I also noticed that after I use it some blue stuff stuff builds up around the wire not on my teeth I wonder what it is.

MrsDantel

#12 Post by MrsDantel »

Ive noticed the same annoying thing with the crest pro health.. It sticks to my wire ties.. and I end up brushing again. It's the mouthwash for sure because I take great care and time brushing a flossing etc.
I ended up giving it away and went back to my orange listerine.
27 and Braced!!
Upper Ceramics - March 24, 2005
Lower Metals - May 10, 2005
One day, My teeth will be beautiful!

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

Glad to know I wasn't alone in this.

I use Cepacol. I had noticed this stuff before I got my braces put on. I would brush, then use it and I always assumed it was stuff that my toothbrush had loosened up for me and the mouthwash rinsed it out.

I've used it a couple of times now in the few days that I've had my braces on. The stuff is of course still there, but even more gross now is that it gets all hung up in my brackets. It's yellow stuff too. :( Who the heck wants any more yellow anywhere near their teeth? I've just been rinsing with water thoroughly after I get done with that to get rid of it, but I must say it's rather stubborn stuff when it gets on my braces.

Charlotte

#14 Post by Charlotte »

I've just had my braces put on and have used Dentyl today - the same thing happened - green stuff stuck around my wire. I just used an interdental toothbrush to brush it off. I've always used Listerine pre-braces but my orthodontist said you should use an alcohol free mouthwash with floride when you have braces to strenghen the enamel.

kayla4644

#15 Post by kayla4644 »

i think something in that particular mouthwash reacts with ur salvia or different enzymes or wutever just a guess...i dont have my braces yet but i get that sometimes with certain mouthwashes and i compare the ingredients and they are different....just dont worry its fine
Always listen to your heart, cause even though it's on your left, it's always right.