electric vs standard toothbrush

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearls

electric vs standard toothbrush

#1 Post by pearls »

for all my life i have always used a normal non-battery powered toothbrush (a soft head one). every time i stay at my boyfriends house i borrow his toothbrush which is electric (don't worry - it's all hygenic, i have my own brush head). and i must say that after every time i brush with his electric, by teeth feel sooooo clean and smooth and i swear they look whiter. i think its amazing what a good job they do.
the only bad thing is that everytime i use it it makes my gums bleed a little bit (and i mean a really little bit). It's quite viscious the electric.
anyway i definately think i want to get one. i think they cost about AUS$120-150 for his one. it is some sort of high end oralB one. it plugs into the power point.
i just wish the electric toothbrushes weren't so loud! my sisters room is right next to the bathroom, and sometimes i work late or stay up late, therefore clean my teeth late. and i dont want to wake her up!

what are your opinions on different toothbrushes?

pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

ReneG

#2 Post by ReneG »

I'm lazy... I find that when I use a normal toothbrush, I don't scrub hard enough or long enough.

I have the Oral B/Braun one which has rechargeable battery. It lasts about a week before it slows and I just sit it on the stand overnight to charge. It's portable so on short trips I don't even bring the stand/charger.

It also has a built in timer. Every thirty seconds it vibrates differently to tell you to move to a different section. (The guide divides your teeth into eight sections: left outer, left inner, right outer, right inner for upper and lower teeth. )

It also has two speeds and I use the lower one for my front teeth which are more sensitive.

I forget how much it cost though. I'll go back look up the model information.

Mine's the most basic of the Oral B Professional Care 7000 Series.
Last edited by ReneG on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolarFeline

#3 Post by SolarFeline »

We were talking about Electronic Toothbrushes here viewtopic.php?t=23795and here we were talking about Oral B Orthodontic Brushheads. viewtopic.php?t=23314

and http://www.oral-b.com/au/products/produ ... riumph.asp is the website for Triumph.

I have found the cheapest stores to buy OralB Brush-heads is The Shaver Shop.

I use the normal Flex-soft ones for my linguals, and the Ortho head for cleaning over my brackets.

pearls

#4 Post by pearls »

okay well i found out that my boyfriend has the Oral B Professional Care 8500. Is that one better than the Triumph or is the Triumph better? because the Oral B website says..

"Oral-B Triumph is clinically proven to remove significantly more plaque than the best performing toothbrush, Oral-B ProfessionalCare8500."

The ShaverShop Website says...
"The new Oral-B ProfessionalCare 8000 Series is the most advanced oral care system inspired by dental professionals for ultimate cleaning, superior whitening & polishing and healthy teeth and gums. It is the only toothbrush system with unique 3D Excel technology: 40,000 in-and-out pulsations per minute gently loosen plaque, and 8,800 side-to-side oscillations sweep plaque away to help keep your mouth at its healthiest."

I cannot find any information about how many pulsations the Triumph has.

From what I'm thinking is that the Pro 8500 is a better toothbrush, but the triumph has more gadget things? am i wrong? I just want to get the best one!

advice please!

thanks. pearls
Metal upper and lowers

SolarFeline

#5 Post by SolarFeline »

The toothbrush is actually called "Oral B Triumph".

pearls

#6 Post by pearls »

what did i call it? an Oral-B Triumph?, does it really make a difference? its a dash! anyway, you knew what i was talking about.

can anyone else help me with which toothbrush is better?

thanks!
Metal upper and lowers

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

Pearls, look here.

http://www.oralb.com/uk/products/power/

You can review all the different electric brushes and their associated pulsations and gadgets.

Personally, I just have the cheap rechargeable Oral-B Vitality which cost me about £10, and I get good reports on the cleanliness of my teeth when I go to the ortho or hygienist. Conversely, when I first got braced, I shelled out on a fancy Phillips Sonicare, and within a few weeks my teeth looked dirty and stained.

DireWire

#8 Post by DireWire »

I helped myself to the Oral B Triumph, and compared to a manual toothbrush, this works fabulously. I have rarely had so clean teeth.

Having said this, I'm not sure what all the gadgets are good for, like a slow rotation mode and a polishing mode and stuff. If anything, they make the brush more complex. Several times I touched the mode button while brushing and changed the mode without wanting it.

I suspect a simpler Oral B model will also do the trick.

Big advantage of Oral B is the choice of brush heads... down to an interdental and an ortho brush. difficult to come by, though. I use currently the sensitive head, but will try the others over time, too.

DireWire

Crymsyn

#9 Post by Crymsyn »

I have the Oral B Triumph and have been using it since late December. I love it.

I've had various types of work done on my teeth as I move towards being braced and every time, my teeth have been super sensitive. I also have jaw problems, so opening very wide to get behind my back molars is a challenge with a standard toothbrush. The smaller brush head and electronic motions assure me that I'm getting them clean with a minimal amount of discomfort. Also, the different settings of the brush allow me to select a lighter pulsation which makes the sore teeth much happier during brushing.

The toothbrush has earphone thingy capabilities to keep track of where you are at in the brush cycle on the electronic display even if you are not right next to it. This is handy for me because I tend to wander around while brushing. :oops: The brush divides the two minute cycle into four segments and sends out a special pulsation to let you know where you are at in the cycle. Again, this is handy for me because I can divide my teeth into four areas and just brush the one quadrant until the brush tells me to move on.

I like knowing I am brushing for the proper amount of time in the most comfortable manner possible. I believe my teeth are whiter and smoother because of it- not to mention healthier! And I have a wide selection of brush heads to chose from when I finally have to work around full brace gear.

Good luck in your quest to find your perfect toothbrush!

momof3

#10 Post by momof3 »

I just purchased a cheap Oral B electric toothbrush. I paid $13 for it. I love it! I don’t have braces on my bottom teeth yet and they are crowded. This toothbrush makes my teeth feel super clean!

BrandonH

#11 Post by BrandonH »

My dentist had told me that I was brushing way too hard. I didn't believe him.

Then I go to my ortho for my consult and he said that if I'm going to go through with braces, the first thing I need to do is buy a Oral B Triumph.

WOW -- I love it. I bought the 9350 -- it comes with ortho heads. I've not had to use those yet, as I don't have the brackets on -- just an upper and lower expander.

This this doesn't let me brush too hard and it leaves my mouth feeling like I just left the dentist's office for a cleaning.

I was hesitant to pay $100 for a toothbrush, but it was some of the best money I've spent.

breal87

#12 Post by breal87 »

I think when your gums bleed even just a little bit it means you aren't brushing very good. I highly recommend switching to an electric toothbrush. They make your teeth whiter and they get a lot more plaque off the teeth than non electric.

I first started using Sonicare over 4 years ago and I had the same thing happend to me, I noticed how smoothe my teeth felt and they were really whiter, I also had a tiny bit of bleeding. The electric toothbrush makes such a difference in how you brush too. With the electric you are not supposed to scrub like you do with the normal brushes, you glide it accross the teeth with a little bit of pressure. Also it beeps every 30 seconds 4 times so you can do the top outer, top inner, bottom outer, and bottom inner. I use Oral B now which is great too.

They make a huge difference

Test

artroxu

electric vs standard

#13 Post by artroxu »

I have a Sonicare Elite 7300.

It was great when I didn't have braces and my ortho was psyched that I had one, but when I use it (i've only had my braces for 6 days) The vibration on the low setting (there are 2) is still a bit much for my tender teeth, so alot of the times I just use it like a reg brush.

I find that I can get a really good clean with just a reg v-shaped toothbrush if I just really make sure I get everywhere.

Besides, if you accidentally hit your teeth with the electronic brush handle while its on it'll make you jump a foot in the air. :shock: :o :x :cry:

The pic below was taken the day of my instalation. Its weird the way the pic is, its kind of yellow. My teeth are actually whiter than that.

Bekah

#14 Post by Bekah »

artroxu, I got braces yesterday and used my manual brush this morning! I am scared to death to use the electric one for a few days! Thank God for my waterpik.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

artroxu

electronic vs reg

#15 Post by artroxu »

bekah, I dont have a water pick. I actually use Crest Glide Threader Floss. Its great. They come in little pre-measured single use packets and they are much easier to use than a floss threader.