Benefits of a waterpick

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Message
Author
Jenabee100
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 am

Benefits of a waterpick

#1 Postby Jenabee100 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:50 am

Hello. I've had my braces in for 7 months now and have never used a water pick. In your personal opinion, does I using a water pick help make Brace removal progress on schedule or shorter? Thanks.

EWUgal15
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:18 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#2 Postby EWUgal15 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 am

A WaterPik is a great complement to flossing (definitely not a substitute for flossing), overall hygiene, and blasting bits of food away from your brackets and out from underneath wires, but its highly unlikely that use of a WaterPik will shorten your treatment time.

Beckett
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 am

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#3 Postby Beckett » Sun May 15, 2016 6:40 pm

I've read enough comments here from people who switched from string floss to a Waterpik and how much they get congratulated by their dentist on how well they are flossing. It's nearly impossible to get floss between my teeth so I just bought one.

One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.
Image

EWUgal15
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:18 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#4 Postby EWUgal15 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:11 am

Beckett wrote:One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.


Both. It depends on what area of the mouth I'm working on, but usually I just have my mouth hanging open and let the water run out where it may. I am a messy WaterPik user.

carrieann
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#5 Postby carrieann » Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm

EWUgal15 wrote:
Beckett wrote:One question...do you let the water kind of run out of the corner of your mouth as you use it? Or periodically spit it out? Or both? I used it for the first time time tonight and it was interesting. I've never used one before so I used the slow flow tip for now.


Both. It depends on what area of the mouth I'm working on, but usually I just have my mouth hanging open and let the water run out where it may. I am a messy WaterPik user.


Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.
Image

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

EWUgal15
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:18 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#6 Postby EWUgal15 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:56 am

carrieann wrote:Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.


I use warm water in mine all the time. I've never had a blast of warm water agitate any sensitivities, but I also spray between my brackets at a downward angle and along my gum line. I don't really hit the teeth dead on.

Aspiring
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#7 Postby Aspiring » Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Cold water or room temperature does tend to hurt. Warm water does not. I fill with straight hot from the tap, add a splash of mouthwash. Turn it on in to the sink for a few seconds, or be prepared for the first little bit to be cold before the warm water gets there. Straight hot from the tap, by the time it travels through the little hose and into my mouth, is no longer hot and is quite pleasant.

carrieann
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#8 Postby carrieann » Thu May 19, 2016 6:16 pm

EWUgal15 wrote:
carrieann wrote:Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.


I use warm water in mine all the time. I've never had a blast of warm water agitate any sensitivities, but I also spray between my brackets at a downward angle and along my gum line. I don't really hit the teeth dead on.


Just used the new waterpick/waterfloss. Warm water and you are right, NO pain at all. I'm highly uncoordinated though. I washed down my bathroom, the mirror, my shirt and face! I'll have to get used to it for sure.
Image

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

carrieann
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#9 Postby carrieann » Thu May 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Aspiring wrote:Cold water or room temperature does tend to hurt. Warm water does not. I fill with straight hot from the tap, add a splash of mouthwash. Turn it on in to the sink for a few seconds, or be prepared for the first little bit to be cold before the warm water gets there. Straight hot from the tap, by the time it travels through the little hose and into my mouth, is no longer hot and is quite pleasant.


Just tried this and perfect! No pain with warm water.
Image

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

FixMyTeeth
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#10 Postby FixMyTeeth » Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm

It won't change your treatment schedule or replace flossing in any way, but it sure feels great :)

Make sure you follow the instructions about holding it at 90 degrees to your gums. You don't want to be blasting water down there.

Ruby77
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 am

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#11 Postby Ruby77 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:18 am

Is Waterpik the best one to get? There are lots of different brands (and prices) so I don't know which one to get.

Any advice? (I'm in the UK if that makes a difference)

BlondeCam
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#12 Postby BlondeCam » Sat May 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Mine is the Waterpik Aquarius. Love that thing! My teeth feel soooo clean. Also I always use warm tap water.

Aaeolien
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Benefits of a waterpick

#13 Postby Aaeolien » Thu May 11, 2017 4:36 pm

carrieann wrote:
EWUgal15 wrote:
carrieann wrote:Miss sensitive teeth (that's me) just ordered a Waterpik! My ortho said it should be OK if I use warm water. If you have ever had sensitive teeth do you find the water blast to be painful? I'm so excited yet apprehensive to try.


I use warm water in mine all the time. I've never had a blast of warm water agitate any sensitivities, but I also spray between my brackets at a downward angle and along my gum line. I don't really hit the teeth dead on.


Just used the new waterpick/waterfloss. Warm water and you are right, NO pain at all. I'm highly uncoordinated though. I washed down my bathroom, the mirror, my shirt and face! I'll have to get used to it for sure.


First time I used mine there was a whole lotta "whoa, whoops, oh ****, yikes" coming from my mouth in the bathroom. Girlfriend was just out in the living room giggling it up. Of course then she walked in and there was water EVERYWHERE. LOL With that said.. I LOVE MINE. I bought the one that came with the sonic toothbrush as well and what a great combo. :)


Return to “Dental Do-dads (Dental Products Q's and Comments)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest