MY RETAINER BROKE AHHHHH

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesfree

MY RETAINER BROKE AHHHHH

#1 Post by bracesfree »

My retainer(hawley) broke yesterday for my upper teeth and I called the ortho and i have an appt for next week. Will my teeth move since i am not able to wear it? My bottom teeth have a bonded reatiner so i am not worried about them. But will my teeth move since i have no retainer on i porbably wont have 1 for 2 wks at the most. Thanks

rooroo

#2 Post by rooroo »

How long have you had the retainer? Or how long have your braces been off? You should be fine though. Once they get a new retainer made and pop it in, the teeth will for the most part go back to where they belong.

I'm really suprised that your ortho didn't have you come in immediately. Did you call them and tell them your retainer broke? If you haven't you should. Or if you have you should call them back and let them know you can't wear it with the way its broken.

If you can, you should wear the broken retainer. Obviously if it broke in half this isn't possible, but if a wire just broke you can possibly snip the wire off, or if the plastic broke on one part just sand the plastic down with some sand paper so its smooth.
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment