Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asianflow

#16 Post by asianflow »

At first I didn't like the lower bonded retainer because it was harder to floss but now I'm use to it.

The retainer only effects 5 flossing spots.

I would hate to have a bonded upper retainer though. I wonder how people would be able to floss.

JumpTheDitch

#17 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Wow, I love the idea of the flossable retainer! I googled it too, looking for some info on it's innovation, use and progress. Nothing came up except for this thread. Blaat says his/her ortho won't use it; I wonder if any orthos do? Blaat, did your ortho say why he/she wouldn't fit them?

Anyone got any experience with the flossable retainers? Anyone's orthos got any feedback/opinion on it? It sounds like dream come true if it really does keep your teeth from moving without interferring with flossing. :dance:

I'm gonna ask my ortho at my next appointment, I'd be interested to hear any feedback anyone else gets about it!

ChrissieWhissie

#18 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

I've got bonded top and bottom since last year April - and I LOVE my bonded retainers.

AND, my ortho has in his practice 'tiny proxy brushes' which you use to floss your teeth which are bonded. They are dead easy to use, and I have no problem whatsoever.

If you're based in the UK, then you can buy them from large Boots - pretty cheap as well.

I definately prefer to have permanent retainers than temporary/removable ones.

Everyone comments on how my teeth look great - and are even more impressed when I show them my retainer.
Cx

ChrissieWhissie

#19 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

I've got bonded top and bottom since last year April - and I LOVE my bonded retainers.

AND, my ortho has in his practice 'tiny proxy brushes' which you use to floss your teeth which are bonded. They are dead easy to use, and I have no problem whatsoever.

If you're based in the UK, then you can buy them from large Boots - pretty cheap as well.

I definately prefer to have permanent retainers than temporary/removable ones.

Everyone comments on how my teeth look great - and are even more impressed when I show them my retainer.
Cx

Chris

#20 Post by Chris »

My husband wore his top and bottom hawleys for 2 years day and night, then several years at night only. Then nothing. He tried on his retainer again and noticed only some movement since the retainer did not fit properly. I was surprised as he was in his 30's when he got braces and his bottoms were VERY crooked. I guess some people relapse more than others.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

taracollettleexx

:)

#21 Post by taracollettleexx »

I just got my braces off 2 weeks ago after just over 2 and a half years!

So happy with the results! My orthodontist is a very experienced and gentle dentist.

I have bonded retainers on both upper and lower.
On the upper I have the new flossiable retainer, which is a zig zag type - very neat.
Plus a Upper Essix retainer.

I am very happy with how he has set up my teeths retention.

:D

YAY FOR BRACES OFF!!!

catfish

#22 Post by catfish »

My ortho didn't want to give me a bonded retainer because he said they make cleaning harder. But I didn't want to have to deal with wiggly teeth, so I asked for one on my bottom teeth anyway. I'm very happy with mine. It's not very noticable to my tongue so I don't play with it, and I'm not finding it to be difficult to floss.

The floss-able retainer in the link blaat provided looks interesting, but I don't think I'd want the metal loops pressing against my gums like that. Wouldn't that make it harder to floss in that area? I have trouble with deep pockets, and that seems like it would invite deeper pockets since you couldn't floss it easily.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

alimommy1

#23 Post by alimommy1 »

I'm not quite sure why so many people complain about the bonded retainers. I have a lower bonded retainer that I have had for 13 years lol. I have never been able to thread the floss in one spot, but interprox brushes or picks work just fine to 'floss' the rest. If I DO decide to redo treatment, I will probably have another bonded retainer. I'd actually like to have a bonded upper retainer too, not because I don't want a removable, but because I want to make sure my teeth don't shift again. Before I had braces the first time, my teeth were TERRIBLE, really crowded and crooked and rotated, and I have big teeth and a small mouth. The relapse really wasn't too bad but it's true that teeth will attempt to shift back to where they were before treatment, even if it's only a few mm. It's frustrating to say the least.

My second choice to two bondeds would be hawleys because I don't like the idea of the clears... one reason I'm not sure I could deal with invisalign. Visibility doesn't bother me much, I think having something covering my teeth all the time like a mouthguard would bother me more. I also hear they can dig into your gums or make your teeth sore.

smiledoc

#24 Post by smiledoc »

start with with the bonded permanents and go to the removable if the bonded ones are unmanageable, unless you don't care about teeth shifting (slightly or not so slightly) :roll: :roll: :roll:

HC0209

#25 Post by HC0209 »

I don't know what everyone is complaining about! I got a fixed retainer fitted on my bottom 5 front teeth and I can hardly feel it.
Surely if you've put up with fixed braces for a couple of years, a small wire won't be any hassle?
I don't even feel it with my tongue, it's only when I open my mouth and look that I remember that it's there!
Maybe your orthodontists have made a mess of the job?
I'd certainly go back and query it if it's causing you bother.

KarateKa

Re:

#26 Post by KarateKa »

[quote="alimommy1"]I'm not quite sure why so many people complain about the bonded retainers. I have a lower bonded retainer that I have had for 13 years lol. I have never been able to thread the floss in one spot, but interprox brushes or picks work just fine to 'floss' the rest. If I DO decide to redo treatment, I will probably have another bonded retainer. I'd actually like to have a bonded upper retainer too, not because I don't want a removable, but because I want to make sure my teeth don't shift again. Before I had braces the first time, my teeth were TERRIBLE, really crowded and crooked and rotated, and I have big teeth and a small mouth. The relapse really wasn't too bad but it's true that teeth will attempt to shift back to where they were before treatment, even if it's only a few mm. It's frustrating to say the least.

My second choice to two bondeds would be hawleys because I don't like the idea of the clears... one reason I'm not sure I could deal with invisalign. Visibility doesn't bother me much, I think having something covering my teeth all the time like a mouthguard would bother me more. I also hear they can dig into your gums or make your teeth sore.[/quote]

Hi there! I got my braces off 2 days ago. I got an upper bonded retainer and a removable one (essix). I use essix at nights. You told us that you had bonded retainers for 13 years. So please tell me, how was the result? Are your teeth still in a good alignment? Thanks

Crazy4Snow

Re: Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

#27 Post by Crazy4Snow »

If that's the case, I'm glad I'm not getting them. My retainers will be the Invisalign retainers. Yay! Apparently I'll have to wear them for 22 hours per day for 6 months, then 12 hours for about a year, then it decreases from there. Hey, whatever works to keep my smile purdy.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

KarateKa

#28 Post by KarateKa »

After getting rid of braces, it's a pain to use removable retaniers more than 8-10 hours for me. That's why I'd rather to use bonded retainers. But I have still questions..

poppy123

#29 Post by poppy123 »

I've had a permanent top and bottom retainer fitted today and I hate them! The bottom one isn't too bad actually, I could live with that but the top one is awful. It feels so huge and bulky in my mouth and when I eat it's like I've got food stuck behind my front teeth so I'm constantly tryin to tongue it out. I'm getting essex retainers tomorrow (invisilign type ones) which I need to wear 12-16 hrs per day ( or night and evening). I was charged no extra fir the permanent retainers and when I told my ortho I didn't want one he said I 'had to' ... Well he didn't really say it like that it was more a case of try then for 4 weeks and if you really hate them I'll take them out. I love flossing, I hate not being able to floss. He has told me to use the tiny interdental brushes but my front 6 teeth are so tightly together I dont think I'll be able to. I guess I'll just have to hope I get used to them

Jethro

#30 Post by Jethro »

Hey poppy123,

Congrats on getting debanded! I got debanded in early June and have top and bottom permanent retainers (in addition to Essix/Hawley). I have to admit that the first month or so with the permanent retainers was very annoying...it seemed like everything I ate got stuck in them. I really don't notice them much any more and am glad that I have them because I only have to wear the other retainers at night. I have noticed no movement at all in my teeth since getting debraced which is a good thing since I have a high propensity for relapse. Hang in there and I'm sure you will get used to them soon.