Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clarmik

Re: Permanent Retainer is a PAIN! :(

#61 Post by Clarmik »

[quote="blackwidow"]I hate the thought of having to wear permanent retainers again after I get my braces off. I had them from age 16 to 25 on my lower front teeth and they only gave me trouble. I couldn't floss properly, so I ended up with gingivitis on my lower gum. Then I didn't notice that I accidentally broke a piece of the cement, so one of my teeth moved forward and I had to fix it wih invisalign for 3 months. After that I got a removable one and they've been aligned ever since. I never had a problem with the top teeth where I also had removable retainers.
Now I have to get braces on again for an overjet that was never fixed the first time around and I'm planning on staying away from permanent retainers when I'm done. But this is just my experience, I guess it's just not the best option for me.[/quote]

Which kind of removable retainer do you have?

Clarmik

#62 Post by Clarmik »

I hate my permanent retainer as well.

EWUgal15

#63 Post by EWUgal15 »

NeilH wrote:
lmk wrote:I have a question about the bonded retainer for everyone. Did you have impressions done so the retainer could be made? Reason I ask, my ortho didn't take impressions and when I asked why not, she said the retainer is made "in house" and will be done the day I get my braces off. (Which is next month, yay) But after talking to a few people, they all had impressions prior and retainer was ready for bonding.
I believe it can be done both ways. The wire bending and positioning can be done by your ortho but it takes time which is probably why some ortho's pass the work to a lab to save chair time.
Agreed. I had two sets of impressions made right after my braces came off: one for research models, the other for retainers. I got my upper removable retainer and lower permanent retainer that afternoon. I pick up my lower removable retainer today. I wasn't (and quite frankly still am not) sure that an impression was needed for the permanent retainer. I've looked through ortho supply catalogs and a special wire is used for bonded retainers. I would think they just need to cut it to size, but I'm not a professional and I didn't ask. As long as my teeth don't shift, I'll be happy.

I did find out that some patients end up with a bonded retainer that only bonds to two teeth (usually the canines) while other patients (like myself) end up with the retainer bonded to every tooth. It depends on how everything was prior to treatment. Cleaning is still tricky, but I mastered is pretty quickly. I guess the major downside is that if the wire ever breaks, it's going to be a real PITA to fix...

sneed1o1

#64 Post by sneed1o1 »

I'm so glad I came across this post! I also had permanent retainers, and HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. My teeth still shifted with them bonded on top AND bottom! I've told my next orthodontist I just want the removable Hawleys. I see the "flossable" retainer topic floating around...unless my orthodontist is willing to do these, I will refuse anymore bonded retainers!

sneed1o1

#65 Post by sneed1o1 »

I would think that if I had a tongue thrusting problem that affected my teeth anteriorly, a Hawley retainer would result in better retention since they would sit in front of the teeth :Questions: I believe this is happening during my sleep, but during the day I am more conscious of where my tongue is at rest. I just can't believe that with a bonded retainer that is supposed to be SO MUCH BETTER, my teeth still shifted :roll:

sascha

#66 Post by sascha »

I just got my braces off yesterday and my orthodontist put on fixed retainers on my top and bottom six teeth without asking me at all. It's only been a day and I absolutely hate them. They are so big and bulky in my mouth and I have a TERRIBLE lisp! I read some earlier comments and people were saying that they shouldn't affect your speech but my speech has defiantly been affected! My tongue is sore and I can't stop messing with the retainers in my mouth. The top retainer is super close to me gums and even some of the cement is touching them! I really want to get a removeable retainer but I don't know what's best. What should I do?

JadeWA

#67 Post by JadeWA »

Has anyone experienced using both permanent and removable retainers?

lmk

#68 Post by lmk »

JadeWA wrote:Has anyone experienced using both permanent and removable retainers?
I have permanent retainers on both upper and lower. Plus I have a removable Hawley on top and Essix on bottom for night time wear only. I only have to wear them a couple times a week. If I slack, my bite gets kinda weird so I know it's time to pop them in at night.

mrscetrone

#69 Post by mrscetrone »

I have a bonded retainer on my top 4 and one on my lower 6. I've had them on since January 18 of this year and the top one has already come loose. :| apparently I flossed too hard and it made one of the edges come up.

godutch

#70 Post by godutch »

mrscetrone wrote:I have a bonded retainer on my top 4 and one on my lower 6. I've had them on since January 18 of this year and the top one has already come loose. :| apparently I flossed too hard and it made one of the edges come up.
What came loose (everything including the "glue" or just the wire )? In the first case the didn't bond correctly (dirty and or wet surface) in the other case not enough glue or too much in occlusion

maryedenissa

#71 Post by maryedenissa »

Permanent retainer is for life. :(